• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Does a refinish, or a custom finish improve a firearms value?

• Total voters

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    Does a custom finish increase the value of a firearm? I had my LLama Max I C/F refinished and I think it looks great. But, did it increase the value? What are your opinions?
    JUST an FYI....this has been Ceracoated
    PICS:
    b02.jpg

023.jpg

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    INCREASE the value? No
    make it more marketable and bring in more potential buyers? YES

i dont think being refinished allows you to charge more for the gun.... typically when refinishing with anything other than the original finish, the seller eats that cost.

except maybe camo patters that could cost several hundred dollars anyways... but then again, it depends on the buyer

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello target64,

I would say it depends on what the firearms are, what custom finish it was refinished in and the current market.
    With some firearms if they were refinished we should take the owner out behind the barn for a good. :dumbass: :bat::whip::bash:
    Some firearm companies that get a firearm sent in for repair work may not touch it depending on what refinish work was done. Say if it was original a blued slide that was refinished nickel. They would not know who done the work, :dunno: if it was done right :dunno: if things like the metal temper was still correct. :dunno: If the temper/heat treat was changed when it was refinished the slide may be too soft or hard. Which could lead to problems down the road and will send it back unrepaired due to liability?
    Then if Pink AR’s are hot and you had yours refinished by Dura-coat then you have a hot one when you sell it. :yesway:
    So it may be a waste of money :spend:if you think you will get it back when you sell the firearm. Thats my :twocents:

one more

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Hello target64,

I would say it depends on what the firearms are, what custom finish it was refinished in and the current market.
    With some firearms if they were refinished we should take the owner out behind the barn for a good. :dumbass: :bat::whip::bash:
    Some firearm companies that get a firearm sent in for repair work may not touch it depending on what refinish work was done. Say if it was original a blued slide that was refinished nickel. They would not know who done the work, :dunno: if it was done right :dunno: if things like the metal temper was still correct. :dunno: If the temper/heat treat was changed when it was refinished the slide may be too soft or hard. Which could lead to problems down the road and will send it back unrepaired due to liability?
    Then if Pink AR’s are hot and you had yours refinished by Dura-coat then you have a hot one when you sell it. :yesway:
    So it may be a waste of money :spend:if you think you will get it back when you sell the firearm. Thats my :twocents:

one more

ps. It does LOOK GOOD!:yesway:

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    It ALL depends on a buyer.

In some cases, you make the gun more attractive (aesthetically or otherwise) to potential buyers. But, in other cases, a 'custom' finish will cut down on your pool of potential buyers, and be tougher to sell.

one more

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sorry about the double post. When I clicked submit reply the first time I got “Internet explorer can not display the page. Clicked back, everything was still there? I added the ps then clicked submit reply a second time it loaded and I had both up? I clicked edit thinking I might be able to delete one?
    I hate my dial-up!!:xmad:

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    It ALL depends on a buyer.

In some cases, you make the gun more attractive (aesthetically or otherwise) to potential buyers. But, in other cases, a 'custom' finish will cut down on your pool of potential buyers, and be tougher to sell.

This ^^ . A Glock 21sf comes to mind that a local shop had for sale .

I don't know anything about stippling other than the pics on here but this gun looked a steaming pile .

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    You've already got your answer...Unless you dip it in Gold it's really not going to increase in value, but you can make it more appealing to a potential buyer.

BTW, that Llama looks SHARP. Well done buddy.

Streakyzero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I would have to agree with everyone else in that it doesn't make it more valuable, but it does make it more marketable! And yes the Llama looks great!

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    I voted other.

My reason is what others have said. It doesn't inherently increase the value but some one else might think it looks good when you're selling.
    The important part is does it look good to you?
    And maybe does it increase insurance value?

You see the same situation with guitars. Some guys will throw $300-400 in upgrades into a guitar and try to recoup on the sale but a buyer may rather have one that is stock.

OP your gun does look great BTW. I haven't shot many .45 would would like too. That one looks appealing!

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    It really depends on the gun. And the buyer. I considered having a Colt Commander refinished and learned that anything other than sending it back to Colt would have hurt the value. The exact words of the appraiser were "If you paint that gun it will be worthless"...

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    If the gun has any collector value at all a refinish will actually hurt the value. Collectors want them to be all original even if the finish is not perfect.

But, for standard guns like yours it looks good. I have a Springfield 1911 that has been done in reverse two tone and I really like it.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Sorry to say, I think no. Spray painting a bit of fu fu on a cheap gun, then expecting someone to pay 50-300 dollars more is a stretch. (Not saying the Llama is cheap, not saying all coatings are fu fu)

Folks that take Krylon Fusion to Glock frames need to be strung up. It is not very durable and they seem to sell to the uninformed. Some folks here have it on the head: it makes it more marketable to a CERTAIN person. I would never coat a gun unless I intended to keep it.

Also, Robar makes some more permanant finishes that look great! I am considering NP3 from them on a Taurus PT1911 I am horsing with. But, I don't expect to see an increase in value on the gun.

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    i will have to say no.i personally held the glock that had the INGO logo on that inmiline had done.the gun looked great but didnt make it worth more to me.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If you can buy a POS all-beat-up non-collectible firearm for $100, have it refinished for $120, then sell it for $300... Then it's worth it.

But cases like the above are about the only way to recoup the investment...

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom