• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    I've noticed past several years, "Do you own a gun?" on medical history forms. I think the reasoning is so doctors can discuss home safety with patients. There's also a set belt related question. I'm not sure most doctors really care about this, and are likely not the best prepared people to discuss gun safety.

I saw where Florida passed legislation prohibiting doctors from asking, so it's apparently not some new federal law or insurance regulation. Is anyone familiar with the rationale behind this, or knowledge of any requirement to ask or answer such?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I vaguely remember this being discussed on here a while back. I think the AMA or some Pediatrics organization put together the original questionnaire and encouraged doctors to discuss "home safety" with patients/parents. Several firearms questions, and some other random items were asked, if I recall (eg: do you have a pool?).

You are not required to answer much of anything your doctor asks. Might be a good idea to answer medical questions truthfully! If they make you uncomfortable, you can fire them and find another doctor.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I vaguely remember this being discussed on here a while back. I think the AMA or some Pediatrics organization put together the original questionnaire and encouraged doctors to discuss "home safety" with patients/parents.

This. That question was on my doc's form, so I answered it. On reviewing my answers, he said something in passing about if I have kids at home, make sure the guns are stored safely... then went into a tirade about how stupid the AMA was. Turns out, he's a gun owner too. :)

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    The rationale is that the AMA is rabidly anti gun. There is no requirement to answer any questions from your doctor. Any legal, or illegal items for that matter, that you own are none of their business. You doctor is not qualified to assess the safety of your home or its contents. Answer as you see fit, or not at all. If they persist, find a new doctor and let this one know why they are loosing your business.:twocents:

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Do you ask them if they have ensured that they have proper ventilation when dealing with their cranial-rectal inversion?

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Do they also ask if you wear your seatbelt when you drive a car?

No idea. I have yet to see the questions. My doc is way too laid back to bother with something this trivial. Our pediatrician has never asked. Besides, I OC to both, so no need!

Anyone have a copy of the questions? My Google-fu must be weak today. I can't find a copy.

J_Wales

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Doctor asks, "Do you own a gun?"

Wise patient replies, "Thats none of your damned business. Ask me again and you will need to use a colon scope to see your smile."

Last edited:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

Ah a true classic!!!

When I was but a lad attending one of various colleges, my female parental unit used to snoop thru my things when I would come home on weekends to mow her yard.

She of course denied snooping so I started using "NOYDB" in my check register in the area for payee info. She nonchalantly asked me one morning what that meant so I asked her where she had run across it, she made up some story so I told her what it meant. My case rested I never came home on weekends again to mow her yard.:xmad:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I didn't take offense when they sent me to see a psychologist for a standard screening after I got back from Iraq (because of DoDs attempts to stem the suicide "epidemic"). I would take offense if my local physician asked me about firearms ownership (not that I see doctors very much, anyway).

Chris387

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Just south of Indy
    I was at the doctor a few months ago. One of the forms I didn't fill out asked if I wear seat belts, if I have a working smoke detector, if I own a firearm, and also wanted to know my religion. I can't remember if there was a motorcycle/helmet question or not. Like I said, I didn't answer any of them.

Top Bottom