• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do You Use A Case Cleaner For Your Brass?

• Total voters

TGUNTER

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Plainfield
    Once before and once after I deprime them. I save my old media for the first cleaning and use a newer batch for the second cleaning.

Earl Sinclair

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I use a Midway tumbler wth ground walnut. I don't decap first, mostly because I use a progressive press that decaps and primes at the first station. The tumbler came in a set with a rotary separator (very handy)and some polishing goop. I'm out of the goop, but I do have some old car polish I'm not throwing away after reading this thread!

Thanks, guys! :rockwoot:

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    I use a Lyman vibe cleaner, cob media, with some kind of Dillon blue stuff. FWIW, used to be a casting/reloading ammo factory at Jasper,IN that would run brass and media in an electric concrete mixer for cleaning. worked pretty good.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    Walnut lizard bedding from the pet store plus Brasso brass polish.

Lizard bedding is great but please don't use Brasso!!!!

It contains Ammonia and causes the brass to brittle, If you only plan on getting 1 or 2 reloads thats fine but I have cases that have been reloaded 10 times before I tossed them just because.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I clicked No because I didn't read the poll well enough. I always tumble my brass, but not in a vibratory case cleaner. I use an old fashioned tumbler with walnut media.

I don't put anything in the way of polish in the media, but maybe I should start. Would that cut down on the red powder all over the case?

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Don't be wasteful

White rice is a great tip but I think there's more to it. I'm gonna' give it a try. I bet that's where brown rice comes from! :D

In the mean time, I use walnut and Lyman Turbo Charger reactivator. I'll put in a load and let it go all night. I also re-tumble after sizing and priming.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I don't put anything in the way of polish in the media, but maybe I should start. Would that cut down on the red powder all over the case?

Throw a drier sheet in the tumbler with each fresh load of brass to help keep the dust down.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    I see a lot of guys running their tumblers for hours on end and even overnight. With the right combination of walnut hull and car polish you never need to tumble for over an hour to get brass as clean as new money. If you're running old range brass for instance or for some other reason your brass is extremely nasty, just do what the reclaimers do. They will run corn cob media with mineral spirits added to the point that the media is totally saturated in the beginning. A vibratory tumbler running outside with the lid off and a full load of brass will evaporate the mineral spirits in a couple hours leaving behind very clean brass ready to size and prep. Next time you purchase reclaimed brass take a close whiff to confirm.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom