• Do you EDC a neck knife

• Total voters

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Looking at the mercharness, I had an idea. I can see how it would keep your knife in the same place all the time, but for me it defeats ambidextrous access because I'd never be able to reach it with my other hand.

So I'm thinking, if the problem is movement, why not add another cord (maybe a loose bungee) around the torso to the neck carry? It would still be on the centerline, but a little more consistent in position.

Could it work?

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Looking at the mercharness, I had an idea. I can see how it would keep your knife in the same place all the time, but for me it defeats ambidextrous access because I'd never be able to reach it with my other hand.

So I'm thinking, if the problem is movement, why not add another cord (maybe a loose bungee) around the torso to the neck carry? It would still be on the centerline, but a little more consistent in position.

Could it work?

I believe CRKT sells a carry system like that that made from gutted paracord... It sounds similar. I'm not sure why someone wouldn't just tie up their own with some paracord, but if someone will but it they will sell it.
    Columbia River Knife & Tool MERCHARN MerCop MercHarness System - OutdoorPros.com

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Jerry-

You and Rhino are talking about the very same product. The Mercharness was designed and developed by our very own mercop. I'm sure somewhere along the way he has partnered with CRKT to distribute it.

To be honest, I too once thought "how hard can this be to make myself?" In the end, I ended up spending the $10 (only $6 in your link) and bought one from George (mercop). Once I got it, I realized that $10 is a small price to pay for not having to re-think and re-create one myself.

IMO, what you're really paying for is all the R&D that George had to go through, at not much more than the cost of the raw materials. Pony up the $10, and if you really don't like it, put it in an envelope and sell it to another INGOer for $10. Its a win-win.

Jerry

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    S. Indy
    Jerry-

You and Rhino are talking about the very same product. The Mercharness was designed and developed by our very own mercop. I'm sure somewhere along the way he has partnered with CRKT to distribute it.

To be honest, I too once thought "how hard can this be to make myself?" In the end, I ended up spending the $10 (only $6 in your link) and bought one from George (mercop). Once I got it, I realized that $10 is a small price to pay for not having to re-think and re-create one myself.

IMO, what you're really paying for is all the R&D that George had to go through, at not much more than the cost of the raw materials. Pony up the $10, and if you really don't like it, put it in an envelope and sell it to another INGOer for $10. Its a win-win.
    I did some searching online and found THIS by mercop. I like this concept and may have to give it a try whenever I can get around to getting another EDC knife.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I did some searching online and found THIS by mercop. I like this concept and may have to give it a try whenever I can get around to getting another EDC knife.

That is what I currently use.

It allows the sheath to move comfortably with your body, especially when bending over. I've found this method to work very well.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Yes, I partnered with CRKT about 3 years ago. The Kel Tec holster is made by Raven Concealment.

When I first put the mercharness out I thought people would just make their own too. The one that I currently sell (that I fell is better quality than the CRKT model, production vs custom I guess) is a GEN IV. There is a lot more to it than people think.

Top Bottom