• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you EDC a neck knife

• Total voters

Tinman

I'm just enjoying the show!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    So I’ve seen these in a number of folks EDC lists, and always wondered why.

The neck knife became tacticool a few years back, I even wore one myself for a while. Once I started running hard against resistive role players, I came to the realization that in the situations I might need it, it was highly unlikely that I could deploy it without getting seriously hurt or killed.

If you vote, please post some information as well. What neck knife do you carry? Why you chose to carry on the neck verse a more traditional location? Have you trained in a force on force and been able to effectively deploy and use the neck knife trainer?

Then you can add anything else you want to comment on.

Thanks

Tinman….

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    I don't see the purpose of a neck knife other than recreational/survival purposes. I can't imagine it being very handy for self-defense based simply on it's slower draw time.

I can however, see the sense in carrying it on long hiking/hunting/camping trips though for "survival" type purposes. In those cases, it would be much handier than a pocket knife.

Survival/recreation? Absolutely
    Defense? Not so much

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    I can't carry anything around my neck - it drives me nuts and I end up with welts and stuff within a few hours..

Just a standard pocketknife for this guy!!

TJericho

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    I used to carry a neck knife back in the day when I was over in Muncie at a residential high school on Ball State's campus.

Why I didn't carry elsewhere? I'm a little guy and find it difficult to conceal a fixed blade. And, not to mention, the school had a policy against knives -- my primary reason for necessary concealment -- which I didn't like since I and other teenagers would wander all over Muncie, parts of which aren't the safest.

Training: nope. I've had a little bit of real-world experience with a knife, but never had to actually use that neck knife. I drew it several times, mostly just holding it by my side, but showed it once or twice.

I don't wear one now, but if I were in another situation where concealment was a real issue and wanted a fixed blade, I would again.

mikea46996

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Winamac
    I don't EDC a neckknife but in the case of SHTF or TEOTWAWKI I would it would be a last ditch I'm already screwed might as well make this guy limp type of thing, or in a survival situation a backup. I don't even carry a fixed blade anymore(on my person).

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    When I wear a knife around my neck, it's for utility use and it's very handy. It's about the only way I can carry something that is accessible to both hands (by me) that doesn't get in my way (which carring on my belt in the center would). Yeah, I've trained "force on force" with it . . . boxes and packages have met their maker at my hands. None of them were able to prevent me from accessing the knife.

I wished I'd been wearing it last week when my brother and nephew ziptied my wrists together. I had to really strain to reach a knife clipped in my pocket, but it would have been a trivial task had I been wearing my neck knife ... easier access.

I don't carry knives for the primary or even secondary purpose of using them as weapons. I'm not critizing the practice or anyone else for doing it, but I hope those whose primary interest in knives is as weapons understand that some of us use them mostly for tools to cut stuff. For that, a neck knife is very handy and convenient.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I carry a Becker Necker (thanks Rhino) occasionally, but not on my neck. It usually rides in the strong-side appendix position.

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    I like the becker necker and I'm getting a RAT Izula, but I would not wear one around my neck every day. Maybe if I was using it a lot for a chore or something, but otherwise I carry in a pocket or on the belt. The smaller neck knives make discreet belt carry and the like doable. Otherwise, carry one in my laptop bag, but there it can be a bigger fixed blade if needed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I wished I'd been wearing it last week when my brother and nephew ziptied my wrists together. I had to really strain to reach a knife clipped in my pocket, but it would have been a trivial task had I been wearing my neck knife ... easier access.
    :laugh:Family get togethers must be a real hoot with you guys!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

It was yet another "Oh, that Joey!" moments following the handcuff incident from a couple of weeks ago as well as my ongoing penchant for blinding myself with negligent discharges from flashlights.

It did remind me of the utility of having a knife carried on the centerline of my body. That position on the belt won't work for me, so a necklace works. I just have to be very careful if I'm around something that might catch it, but I'm rarely around any kind of moving machinery.

For defensive use, I'd want something(s) in a more fixed orientation, much we need our pistola(s) in the same place and orientation for a consistent presentation. Dangling from the neck probably isn't the best bet for that, especially if you're not upright and still at the time.

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    Interesting poll and thread.

Ive been thinking about getting a fixed blade as a EDC and was considering a neck knife.

Anyone have any experience with HAK?

Or have any suggestions on a good neck knife?

dblagent

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Bloomington
    As mentioned above the becker necker is well regarded though I do not have one yet. Another one to consider that has gotten quite a following now is the new RAT Cutlery Izula, nice small size available in a kit or just the knife and sheath. The Izula is still in short supply and tow more colors are not fully out yet too.

Becker: New Graham Knives - Product Catalog

RAT: New Graham Knives - Product Catalog

Last edited:

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Since I was forced to wear dog tags in the military for so long..

I can't stand to have anything dangling from my neck as a civilian.

So.. no. Maybe in a survival situation I would.

I must say those Becker Necker's do look cool, especially the San Mai.

Tinman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Good stuff all, thanks for the responses.

It occurred to me, right after I hit the post button, that possibly some people talking about a neck knife weren’t actually wearing it around the neck, but I figured it would be an interesting discussion anyway.

Good comments on the survival situations. I was specifically targeting SD scenarios, since those are the tools most people EDC. However, even in a survival situation, I prefer a bit more controlled mounting to allow for a better index. I’ve used pack strap mounting, and vest mounting several times. I’ve also used off body in situations where I might need an edge while working from a 4-wheeler or canoe. After all, you just never know when you might have to cut yourself free from the wreckage.

Tinman....

Tinman

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Anyone have any experience with HAK?

My experience with HAK was ALL BAD. I ordered a knife, it was allegedly being produced, card was charged, and no knife showed up. Made calls, sent emails, no response. I kept watching the little order update screen, but no updates. More emails and phone calls, still no joy, or knife. I finally had the end of it, 1 year after placing the order I sent an email threatening to contact the Federal Prosecutor and pursue legal options. Mysteriously the charge was refunded, and I still never got any response from anyone.

I have heard the owner of HAK went through a lot of “issues” but she really drug her name and the companies name through the mud.

I understand they have new ownership, but I’m still not going down that road again. If I found one in stock somewhere, I would not be opposed to it as I still love the concept, but dealing with the manufacturer, once burned and I’m staying out of the fire.

Tinman....

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute

they sure can be. it's usually a good thing that i can leave, or i'd surely be sent to my room. hehe.

i voted yes to edc. when i'm at my day job, i do not, but most other times, i do. i've been using a crkt neck peck.

elaw555

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I do not EDC a neck knife but my wife and I do use CRKT Dogfish neck knives when we go diving to get us out of any fishing lines or rope at some of the shallower wrecks in Florida.

mercop

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    PA
    Wanting to be able to carry a fixed blade and my distaste for neck carry was what led to the mercharness. The biggest issue I have with neck carry is that if knocked to your back or even bent over it can end up anywhere.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    <thread drift>

Mercop,

On your webpage where the mercharness is featured, there are 3 pictures, two of which display the knife sheath, and the 3rd (right) shows a kydex keltec holster. It appears that this is the opposite side of the knife holster. Are they the same product, or separate? If they are not one in the same, what do you call the keltec holder. I am thinking about another method now.

Thanks,
    Josh

Top Bottom