Do We Really Need Umpteen Dozen Magazines?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We have multiples for everything that is mag fed. I would have more but no place to safely store them. Everything is full.

Is there such a thing as enough???

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Wow, it's conversations like this that remind me how conservative I am.:)

I have 6-30 round P-Mags, 2 20- rounders, 5 mags for my 1911, 3 mags for my .22 pistol and several for my .22 rifle.

Guess I need to buy more once the frenzy dies down.:)

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Magazines are consumables. If you train (and you should be) with your guns then you will consume magazines. And as with any consumable, I'd like to have some in reserve.

Show me a guy with 2 pristine magazines and I'll show you a "collector".

I've got two pristine mags for my P6. They don't feed reliably, I don't use them, they stay pristine. :D

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    Short answer: Yes.

Magazines get worn out, they get lost, they get dropped on the ground, they get forgotten.

Everyone should have a minimum of 20 magazines for every rifle, and at least 5 mags for every pistol, in my opinion. That means if you have 4 AR rifles, you should have at least 80 mags. Spares are always a good thing to have. Murphy practically insists upon it.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Short answer: Yes.

Magazines get worn out, they get lost, they get dropped on the ground, they get forgotten.

Everyone should have a minimum of 20 magazines for every rifle, and at least 5 mags for every pistol, in my opinion. That means if you have 4 AR rifles, you should have at least 80 mags. Spares are always a good thing to have. Murphy practically insists upon it.

Okay, next group buy on P-Mags, I'm buying some.:) Or next $12.30/ea sale.

StorminJason

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Bloomington
    Mags

I have 13 pmags and 7 fifteen rd S&W .40 mags. Here's my question: Can't you just buy a repair kit even when they ban completed mags. The piece that feels like it should wear out is the spring. If I had repair parts on hand, I wouldn't worry so much about my magazines.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    So, like the post says, do we really need all these magazines?

I go to the range, I have an AK and 5 30 round mags. I take care of them and they aren't going into battle, so I think they'll be OK for a number of years. I'm not seeing a need for more. I shoot a couple of mags, take a break and shoot some more soon thereafter.

I have numerous Glock and Sig mags for my Glock and Sig guns...I have more .45 single stack for my Kimber than I have for my Glock and Sigs simply because I've gotten a great deal on extra mags and loading 8 rounds over and over is a pain in the dupa.

With this new approaching "AWB" and the threat of losing out on the availability of purchasing them, we are seeing a buying frenzy.

Like the hard to get toys at Christmas and the post 9/11 anthrax scare, are we just unnecessarily hoarding because we have this built in instinct to have what we cannot get?

What say you, INGO-ers?
    I spent 26 + years in the Military... IF WE only NEEDED one MAGAZINE, then WE would only carry one ..... We are ISSUED 7 Mags, at least in the USMC, and they are 30 rounders. Now because of jams, we only load 25-27 rounds in each mag. Once you use all that ammo, guess what, YOU are reloading mags.... You, can't shoot, when you are reloading !!!!!

TheDude

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Southeast Kentuckiana.
    So, like the post says, do we really need all these magazines?

I go to the range, I have an AK and 5 30 round mags. I take care of them and they aren't going into battle, so I think they'll be OK for a number of years. I'm not seeing a need for more. I shoot a couple of mags, take a break and shoot some more soon thereafter.

I have numerous Glock and Sig mags for my Glock and Sig guns...I have more .45 single stack for my Kimber than I have for my Glock and Sigs simply because I've gotten a great deal on extra mags and loading 8 rounds over and over is a pain in the dupa.

With this new approaching "AWB" and the threat of losing out on the availability of purchasing them, we are seeing a buying frenzy.

Like the hard to get toys at Christmas and the post 9/11 anthrax scare, are we just unnecessarily hoarding because we have this built in instinct to have what we cannot get?

What say you, INGO-ers?

Some people would question what the need is for more than one gun too.:dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    As was mentioned, if you use them and use them hard a lot, magazines wear out.

Standing still at a static range plinking may not be hard one magazines. Dropping them over and over on concrete and gravel is hard on them. Stepping on them and kicking them is hard on them. Jamming them into the gun vigorously and ripping them out just as vigorously (when they get stuck) over and over is hard on them. Feed lips spread and at some point the magazine is no longer useful.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I go to the range, I have an AK and 5 30 round mags. I take care of them and they aren't going into battle, so I think they'll be OK for a number of years.

Go to gun school. You will buy more.

1. Most malfunctions in self-loading platforms trace to the magazine.

2. Magazines wear out and in my case can cease to exist.

"MEYE magazines ain't never wear out none!"

Well, you haven't been shooting enough. I shoot so much that my magazines can cease to exist . . . at any moment.

3. Magazines become damaged and lost.

4. If you are in a fight, you want to share with friends.

5. If you want to go shooting, you will want to buy more.

Enough mags to fill a box car is about right:

images

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have no idea how many mags I have. I do wish I hadn't gotten rid of a pile of AK, AR and AK Drums and ammo in the last couple months though! :xmad:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I keep forgetting to get more AK mags.

Eh, I'd rather have more PMags. I like to put them in a huge pile, spray Hoppe's on it, and roll around buck nekkid in the mixture.

Did I mention that magazines wear out?

Top Bottom