• ...and so much more!
  • Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Put me down in the "no lasers on handguns" camp. I find them distracting to see dancing around in my sight picture and derive no real benefit from their use. There is potentially some utility in shooting in awkward positions where you can't get your face behind the sights, but even then at most pistol ranges that problem can be solved via instinctive or point shooting. I prefer allocating all my mental processor to normal sight picture and fundamentals without having to track a laser dot jumping around. That takes a 3-plane visual problem and turns it into a 4-plane one.

Lasers on rifles under night vision are a different story, but pistol lasers of the Crimson Trace variety are gimmicks IMO.

Flight567

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2020
    US
    You can also put me down with the no lasers party. I don't find that they add anything to a vast majority of situations for the fast majority of people. I would be more than happy to listen to a positive argument for the use of lasers on an EDC.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As someone who is interested in lasers in situations like carjackings where normal gun sighting may be impossible I am surprised as to how much hate is being spewed against lasers. I get that some of you don't like them but don't get why you have to take over the thread stifling any reasonable conversation with the same **** just worded differently post after post. If you don't like them than why do you feel that you have to make everyone hate them also. Start your new thread on why you hate lasers, I promise I won't come in and argue with you lol. Mods should have intervened here a while ago and let this stay on the track it was intended. This thread deserved better.
    OP's question:
    "Was looking at getting a new carry 9mm and just want to know how important lasers are for helping with accurate targeting"
    Can't speak for the tone of all the conversation but maybe everyone's saying the same thing because that's the answer. In our club I've seen several newer shooters show up with their new gun with laser mounted only to turn it off in frustration in short order. Slow fire, rapid fire, short range, long range. There's a reason nobody uses them in any competition. Irons and dots are both faster and no less accurate at typical handgun ranges.

I guess a second case for them would be a micro gun with tiny crappy sights at "long" range but that won't sit as well as a defensible DGU and really falls under the same "conventional sights don't work" situation already mentioned.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    Unless you have a friend or someone with a laser site on their handgun that will let you try it out, it's a pretty steep price just to try one out to see if you like it or not which is why I always encourage a fellow shooter who seems interested to try one of mine.

You see, I'm not limited to iron sights or laser sights, I have a choice depending on the situation.

I will say, a laser site will show you how shakey you really are.

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I worked as a bodyguard and bank guard , and my training officer was a Special forces soldier in Nam , he also was a FBI officer , and a training officer for the FBI firearms acadamy , He ended his career as a special agent in charge of a DEA task force in chicago.He carried a colt .45 with nothing on it except after market sights. He told us not to put extra accesories on gun because it will break down at the worst time.Keep to the basics,two torso shots and one to the head.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I worked as a bodyguard and bank guard , and my training officer was a Special forces soldier in Nam , he also was a FBI officer , and a training officer for the FBI firearms acadamy , He ended his career as a special agent in charge of a DEA task force in chicago.He carried a colt .45 with nothing on it except after market sights. He told us not to put extra accesories on gun because it will break down at the worst time.Keep to the basics,two torso shots and one to the head.
    Ok.

Top Bottom