• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm thinking of giving up on feeding the rabbits, selling my rear tine tiller, and just going to the farmer's market like all the other city people. I am being assimilated. Resistance is proving to be futile.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Our farmer's market isn't always so great and it's kinda pricey. I prefer organic whenever possible, and the farmer's market isn't always organic. Critters are a nuisance though, I battle them every year.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I know a few people that do this. At my house we still plant stuff, mainly sweet corn, but I have a tiller and a two row planter for behind my tractor so it's kind of cheating compared to your normal gardener. Plus we just plant roundup ready sweet corn now and spray it for weeds. So other than eating, and mainly bagging it for the rest of the year, it's really no big deal. Electric fence keeps out the critters too.

However, for a lot of the vegetables we are still eating we just go to the farmers market and get them... It's really worth it, I wouldn't feel bad about it, it's not like you can't start gardening again when/if you want. It's just so easy to go support the local guys and not have to mess with the whole garden thing.

There is a reason farmers markets are so popular, I like going to them, I always get some hamburger from one around me that is SO GOOD!

For those of you guys having trouble with the animals, a charger, wire with insulators and posts isn't too expensive at your local rural king. Had it turned up so high when birds would land on the bottoms wire and anything would touch the ground it would kill them. And burnt any touching grass. Needless to say the animals stayed away. Rabbits, raccoons deer, and all!

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    We have a crazy dog that loves to kill anything that moves, she has even eradicated the moles that were destroying the yard. I haven't had any problems since she came to live with us. She even knows better than to get in my lettuce beds, which is about all I'm interested in growing anymore.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I love my garden, it makes me go outside and work, otherwise I'll sit on my ass in the a/c. The vegetables are so much better too. I've found many times the farmer's markets are not selling locally grown stuff, and you can buy cheaper at the same quality. :twocents:

Oh yeah, what's the info on the tiller, both of mine are 40+ years old.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    We did not plant last year and missed it a lot. We have rabbits and tree rats along with a possum....or 2.

I will start eliminating them very soon.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    There is no way you are wearing yoga pants like everyone else at the Lafayette or West Lafayette farmer's market. Just forget it.

Keep the darn garden.

58547946.jpg

I've got the thighs for it, just not sure about the calves. My last leg day was...2006, maybe?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have a guy coming from Martinsville with a tractor and 5' tiller to prep my new garden area. Will be great for busting the sod. He is getting $150 to do a 40x40 area but will take less closer to home.

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    im just getting into gardening and last year was my first garden. It did not do so well cause some deer ate it when everything was first popping up. But I since put a fence around a area to garden and Im hoping for the best. Also im getting a bunch of fruit trees soon so that should be interesting. I think the more I can do at home the better for my children and me. I have been looking at the NO TURN method for gardening has anyone else tried this?

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I had rabbits my first year, bought some 24" fence wire and put it around the second year and haven't had a problem with rabbits since. Squirrels are another story, had some get a taste for tomatoes and ended up bating a live trap with them to catch the squirrels for relocation. Moved about half a dozen and had a great crop of tomatoes the rest of the summer.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I couldn't imagine a summer without a garden. Last year we pit up a little chicken-wire fence that did wonders for keeping the rabbits out.

Top Bottom