Do any police officers still carry revolvers?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I carry a S&W in my support side cargo pocket for my back up. In a CQB, a semi auto is likely to malfunction when cycling. A wheel gun, especially with an internal hammer really reduces the chance of malfunction.

When new officers ask me where and what to carry, I recommend wheel gun support side. IMHO, one of the most urgent uses for a BUG would be fighting an ofender off of your primary weapon and in that situation you need to be very skilled with an edged weapon or have a wheel gun, both would be ideal.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Last time I was at Water Tower Place, the morbidly obese officers providing security and Police presence in the area both carried 6” revolvers in the old times swingy swingy holsters. One a male, one a female, both looked like they needed oxygen, and their AARP cards.

Crusader17

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2017
    Miami County
    I got to talk to a retired ISP trooper about this recently. He started when they were using blued 357s, he said that once they made the switch to semi-auto, everyone had to. I find the police revolver to semi auto transition fascinating.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Hmm I wonder if the security guards in DC, and the police in Chicago are issued them as required sidearms, or if they have a choice.
    The Chicago coppers are most likely grandfathered into their wheelguns, new recruits get the autos of whatever flavor is approved.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Almost all of the Federal guards I have seen in Federal offices for some years now carry revolvers. A lot of those are contract workers and their insurance carrier has made the decision that revolvers are "safer". Some of the guards I have talked said it was an employer's rule and they had no choice. I worked for Well Fargo in the 70s and it was revolver only. In the words of Clint Smith '"but if you run into some guy with a S&W .41 magnum who knows how to run one - you're probably in trouble..." Yes indeed....

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    The US Marshals service issued gun until around 2002 was a 3" Ruger GP 100 with 357 145 Silvertip (if I remember right) I worked for them for a couple years in the late 1990's. But only about 5-10% carried the issued Ruger. At the time they had a pretty liberal firearms police so most carried mix of Sig 220/226 or Glock with a couple S&W in between

In 2002 ish they went to 40 Cal Glock 22 or 23's and mandated them. I believe they were the last Federal Agency to issue Revolvers. Even the Federal Bureau of Prisons transitioned to autos by the early 90's.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    last time i was in chicago i seen 2 older guys with wheelguns both had speed loaders as well. Also seen a few guards with them. I am qualified with a j frame for a bug but have only carried it a handful of times. Usually just carry the 43.

Those sniper revolvers are pretty neat never heard of them doing that.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I can’t recall the name of the city for the life of me.
    But the uncover detectives carry S&W shrouded .38 snubbies the reasoning is when a shooting has occurred most have been in physical contact and autos have only worked for one round. The snubbies will fire when in physical contact by the person being shot.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Upon retirement, left a small PD, and thought came to me about going to a Court Security job.(part time). Made contact with a County Sheriff Dept, interviewed, and hired. Got sized up for uniforms, and body armour, and found out my last quals were a bit past. I went to Range Officer, shot and qualled with my Service Revolver. (M10 S&W, 4in Blued)
    Had Duty gear, so went right to work. Range Officer did some work on getting me a G21, holster, mags, and mag case. (current issue for SD) He ordered the Glock/mags and holster/mags case. Was about 6 weeks till gun arrived, but holster was longer. I carried my M10, never felt underarmed, and approx. 4 months later qualled with the G21.
    I had carried a G22, so transition was minimal.
    Couple guys thought the M10 was a dinosaur. They always carried the Plastic guns! I retired the M10 to home protection, of off duty, and carried the G21. Yes the Revolver is still around, and I have seen Chicago PD Officers with them in their holsters. I wouldn't hesitate to carry either gun, but qual with them often!

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I have a friend who is retired RCMP. She is now a Parole officer. At work she carries a 686 that MUST be turned each day. In spite of being a retired RCMP Officer and a Parole Officer she is only able to CCW a J frame wheel gun. She said in Canada it took hell and high water to get her permit even with her background.

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    I still carry my personal airweight S&W 38 spl on duty, but it is my secondary backup to issued Glock 22. Reliable gun and going on 19 years of carry

Top Bottom