DNR Ranges No Longer Allow Bird/Buckshot???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    First, appologies if this has already been discussed elsewhere--I searched and did not find.

I just got back from a great morning/afternoon at Crosley's shooting range after having a wonderful time down there...but with the exception that I couldn't pattern my new shotgun. There was a sign posted at each lane saying that anyone caught using bird/buckshot could be banned from all DNR shooting ranges for up to a year. The RO mentioned that someone got injured by birdshot and the lawyers made them ban all shot loads.

This was huge (bad) news to me, and I'm wondering how long this has been in effect, as it blindsided me.

Anyone have more details than what little I heard?

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I was at Willow Slough range about 10 days ago and didn't see anything about this. I vaguely recall a discussion with the former operator down there several years ago about not being able to use shot loads on the rifle ranges. There are plenty of spent wads on the grass downrange and I assumed those were from slug loads.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    From the DNR list, it does seem that Crosley no longer has shotgun available:
    IN DNR Shooting Range Site

Well hell. Guess I should have looked there first instead of just thinking it'd be the same as the last several times I was there before making the drive down. Thanks for pointing that out JE.

At least it does look like it's Crosley-specific, which is I guess good news...

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    Yeah, I just looked it up again to make sure Jasper-Pulaski still allows it. :naughty:

Hope you find a place to pattern & shoot.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Yeah the range at deer creek is only slugs, and only on the 50 or 100 yard rage.

I can see why they've done it; with all the inexperienced shooters hitting the ceiling over there. I'd have done the same thing. It does stink you can't pattern home defense shotguns. The parabellum range still allows buckshot though.

blues bondsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2019
    Michigan City
    Kingsbury has a separate shotgun range off to the left side of the enclosed range.
    They let me pattern my Mossberg 500 with buckshot there.
    We were the only people on the shotgun (clay pigeon) range that day.

MongooseLaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 5, 2019
    Albion
    Interesting....I actually had a little incident related to this, I was at the Mongo/Pigeon River DNR range, checking my paper target on the 100 yard range with another guy and heard that tell-tale angry hornet/buzzing overhead, then our paper targets took a couple hits right in front of us. The shotgun/clay shooting range was off to our right and they were throwing the clays too far left then shooting up over the top of the 100 yard range.

Maybe that's how someone got hit and the lawyers got involved

Slonsteady

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2016
    Plainfield
    Yeah the range at deer creek is only slugs, and only on the 50 or 100 yard rage.

I can see why they've done it; with all the inexperienced shooters hitting the ceiling over there. I'd have done the same thing. It does stink you can't pattern home defense shotguns. The parabellum range still allows buckshot though.
    Total agree, i am a RSO and little pellets at close range can and do bounce back. Especially out of those little derringer guns. I pointed out to the Deer creek RSO that wads and targets with tiny holes were present at the 5 to 15 yard range. Safety is everyone responsibility, and second chances are rare. Let’s look out for each other our sport and the many new shooters.

eric001

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Looks like I'll be tracking down some private land instead of making the long drives out to DNR ranges for patterning. I get the problem with newbs causing damage and doing stupid crap here and there, but it gets annoying when the only places to go that don't charge for the privilege are substantial drives outside of the county and halfway across the state. It costs plenty to feed 12 gauge right now, gas is $3 or more per gallon, and I'm not wanting to pay range fees on top of all that.

I really miss the 'good ol days' before everyone was so incredibly paranoid about lawyers and 2 legged leaches doing stupid crap then looking for a payday because nobody stopped 'em from getting it done.

And while I'm feeling cranky standing on my soap box, I REALLY would like to see Darwinism thin out the stupid from the herd so we didn't have to be saddled with lawyer paranoia syndrome all the time.

Top Bottom