• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 25, 2009
    N.E corner
    Have had Dish Network for about 4 years, not completely unhappy with the service but the cost is getting a little out of hand. Thinking about switching to Direct but have heard a few people complain about them. What are your experiences with both that might sway me to the other side.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Out of those two, I'd go Direct. I did a write up in a thread a while back, don't feel like typing it all out again.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We've had Dish for well over 12 years now and I have no complaints about price or anything else. I have heard and read about a number of issues with Direct. The one I hear the most is that they have a habit of jacking up peoples rates after their intro period and the rates just keep inching up after that. Having had no issues with Dish, I'm likely to stay with them for the foreseeable future.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Ive had DirecTV for about 15+ years now.... I tried Dish for a month and the 2 switches never could work right out where I live, they asked who installed the DTV...... and they hated my response, I did !!!

So after 3.5 weeks they sent a return label so I could return the Dish equipment. My family never adjusted to their channel selection vs DTV, the menu, and it never worked correctly.... bad installers?

And we had a power surge last May and DTV hooked me up w/ new recievers at no additional charge, still going monthly, no contract or rate increase due to 10+ years as a customer. I purchased the eqipment myself and also installed it myself, so Im not sure how the contracts and their installations are now....

+1 for DircTV !!! :rockwoot:

RyanV

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    La Porte County
    Bro, go dish and cable free! My wife and I haven't paid for TV in nearly a year and we don't miss it at all. I made a HD antenna out of an old radio antenna and a paper clip (working on a better one, don't make fun) that picks up all the local stations in high definition. We do pay $9/month for netflix though. Between netflix instant and websites like hulu I don't see a need to pay for TV ever again. Plus a lot of the networks and cable channels now host episodes of new TV shows 24 hours after they air. The only thing I miss sometimes is the ability to watch some live sports, but if I really want to I can just go over to Sidelines and watch it.

Last edited:

fire259

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 6, 2010
    Brown County
    I've had Direct for 7 years without problems. Dish can't even get a signal where I live. The Dish rep told me that their satellites are lower on the horizon than Direct's, so they have trouble in areas with trees

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    We "unplugged" our tv several months ago, prior to that I had been a Dtv customer from way back in the days when US Satellite and Dtv were seperate entities. They always seemed to have an excuse for the $.50 or $1 price increase every couple of months or so. One of the last straws is when we came home one night to no t.v., I did all the home troubleshooting before calling dtv. The short version is that they hadn't offered the package I had which I had been receiving for several years so they turned it off. BUT they would provide me with a "similar" package that had 23 fewer channels and only cost $8.95 more per month!

I thanked them for their help and shut it off completely a few months later! To us it doesn't matter, Dish, DTV, Comcast. . . . We aren't going to pay $80/month for the 5-10 channels we watched! It's really amazing how much we get done around the house now that we aren't sitting in front of the tube.

hoosierdaddy1976

I Can't Believe it's not Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 17, 2011
    newton county
    i've had both. like the controls on dish better, seemed much more intuitive. but i had the same issues with trees. they came out and adjusted a couple times, but could never get both satellite signals at the same time. not had that problem with direct. both are full of bs shopping channels and other garbage that never gets watched, imo.

INLIKEFLYNN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Speedway
    I had dish a while back. I was never pleased with the quality, and it constantly digitized with even some clouds, let alone rain or snow. I switched to att uverse. If it is available in your area I highly recomend it. Reasonably priced, and after 2 years not one outage, ever. I will never have anything else.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Have had Dish Network for about 4 years, not completely unhappy with the service but the cost is getting a little out of hand. Thinking about switching to Direct but have heard a few people complain about them. What are your experiences with both that might sway me to the other side.

I have COMCAST:rockwoot:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Go direct. Dish done away with wishtv 8 how do you get rid of a local channel?
    I have Dish and get WishTV. Wish was the problem for about a week or so, not Dish. The company that owns WISH decided to hold up Dish and their customers by demanding more money than they were worth and they got cut off till they regained their senses. Direct has done the same thing in the past. So has Comcast and other carriers.

Top Bottom