• Gaffer

Shhhh.......
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2016
    Southern IN
    Dimming Logos with Aluminum Black

I really don’t like the “in your face” white lettering on many gun accessories, particularly when I am trying to be tacticool, such as seen on the gun light below. Keep in mind that this product can also be used for scratches on AR’s, at least the upper and lowers as this product only works with aluminum.

I am sure that many of you are already aware of this method but thought I would share this for those who may not be.

1679615444636.png

I had viewed some of the YouTube videos (There are many YouTube videos showing this method.) about how to dim these logos using Birchwood Casey Aluminum Black and thought I would give it a try.

1679615502086.png

The way this works is that most of the logos on gun accessories which are made of aluminum are not painted on but lasered in, thus exposing the shiny aluminum through the anodizing finished. If the logo is painted on then this method will not work.

Apparently, this product does not seem to affect other finishes, and it did nothing to the finish on my light, but your mileage may vary, so some testing first may be in order. On other thing to keep in mind is that if the logo is already anodized, such as through age, this method might not work as well, as the cleaner the aluminum the better.

The Steps

I first cleaned the logo using a Q-tip and some 91% alcohol and used a clean rag to clean it off. I would assume the cleaner the better.

Next I applied a very wet application of the Aluminum Black, covering all of the logo. I let this set for one minute and then wiped it off with a rag.

I repeated this 2 more times for a total of three applications. If needed you could apply more as each application darkens it a bit more.

After I was satisfied with the finish I cleaned the area well with a water soaked rag to remove all remnants of the Aluminum Black.

I then applied a bit of wax over the logo (you can also use a bit of light oil).

I was quite happy with the results and below you can see my actual work. Can you still see the logo? Yes, but for the most part it is quite subdued. It actually looks better in real life than in my photo.

1679615586283.png

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    I never thought about doing this; but it makes a bunch of sense. I might have to try this out on some of my stuff.

Thanks for posting this!

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I used that stuff on a couple lowers i had milled out. I don't know what i did wrong, but it took many touch ups on the fcg pin holes to cover dark enough.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve been disappointed when I got a new scope, light or other accessory and it was emblazoned with the manufacturer name and model number but never really thought of removing it. I have done it to cheap Chinese knockoffs because it’s usually just paint that can be easily removed. It this a new Tacticool thing to do?

Top Bottom