• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The church board will not accept legal liability for anyone for anything. I am on my own. I have to carry my own insurance for Clergy malpractice. A sign of the times I am afraid. Render unto Caezar the things that are Caezar's and unto God, the things that are God's. (Jesus Christ)

Honestly, as a member, I'd go to a different church. Mine is gun friendly (as is the Bible BTW). Your right and obligation of self-defense is not given by Caesar, it's given by God.

Here's another way to look at the board's "liability" - if anything happened to me in that church I would sue because they deprived me of the means of defending myself AND failed to provide adequate compensating security. Seems to me if the board prohibits guns, then they must assume responsibility for the safety/security of the congregation. That may not be the way the law would look at it though.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    Wanted to stir this pot a little.
    I am helping one of my kids research the laws prohibiting teachers to carry firearms at School. To me it seems that it is legal here in Indiana.

In the Indiana Code
    IC 35-47-9-1 Section 1.2
    A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;

Since you are a pastor at the Church and the Church has a School, wouldn't you be considered an employee of the School?

I agree with Bill of Rights in ..
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._employee_carry_problem.html?highlight=school

The way I read the legislation is that it is legal for an school employee to possess a firearm.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    THat is a good point. Authorized by is where they get you though. How many school boards will allow this? I guess if we elect Pro-Gun canadites to the board...

It is a shame with all this economy crap that laws like these aren't even on the backburner anymore.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If you ask me it is a terrible law. If you pass the background check and are issued a license the only place that should be banned are court houses and airports. They actually have checkpoints with scanners and such at these places. All I have to do to get into my sons school carrying is waive at the camera. If the background check is not good enough then make it stricter.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    If you ask me it is a terrible law. If you pass the background check and are issued a license the only place that should be banned are court houses and airports. They actually have checkpoints with scanners and such at these places. All I have to do to get into my sons school carrying is waive at the camera. If the background check is not good enough then make it stricter.

I totally agree. If I did carry in my daughter's school there is nobody who would question me, I'm a common fixture inside the building as I've been on a couple of the school committees and been active in fund raising, athletic concessions, and school recruitment. So I could walk in anytime, walk right up to the principle or several of the board members and they'd never suspect that I was armed, nor would they have any fear of me. And certainly they wouldn't need to be afraid because I'm there for positive reasons, in addition to being there for my daughter.

But is a law on the books in Indianapolis really going to deter a bad guy who would also just as easily be able to walk into the school? OF COURSE NOT!!!

So what the law does is, if we choose to follow it (as I do), is it forces me to park off the school grounds, disarm, and leave a gun unattended in my car where it can be stolen. Wouldn't everyone be a bit more secure if the gun was safely stuck on my hip where it belongs?

I can't understand why I am forbidden from getting out of my car to help my daughter into the car on rainy days, or to help her carry a school project, etc. If they want me to keep the gun OUTSIDE the school then at least let me park ON school property when I lock the gun in my car!!!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    THat is a good point. Authorized by is where they get you though. How many school boards will allow this? I guess if we elect Pro-Gun canadites to the board...

It is a shame with all this economy crap that laws like these aren't even on the backburner anymore.

However would not the church be the owner/operator of the land which is being used "by a school for a school function" (classes, certainly being a "school function")? Then would not the owner/operator of the land--i.e. the church--be the ones who can employ or authorize a person to carry?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom