• ...and so much more!
  • lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    I was in the Outfitting Business for 13 yrs, Wondering how many Guys/Gals hunt the west from Indiana. Guided or DIY, Success or Disappointment. My 2 boys are old enough now, thinking we might venture out to Montana, If we can draw Tags.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Did not hunt out west this fall due to incredible work load, which was exceptionally good after many years of being just mediocre. I have and do hunt Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico as well as Canada. Both DIY and guided, successful and not, but never disappointed. Beats work any day.

Dirty Steve

lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    Did not hunt out west this fall due to incredible work load, which was exceptionally good after many years of being just mediocre. I have and do hunt Wyoming, Colorado and New Mexico as well as Canada. Both DIY and guided, successful and not, but never disappointed. Beats work any day.

Dirty Steve
    Love Pinedale Area and Wind River Range, Killed my first bull when I was 17 in Colorado, Had lots of invites down in NM, just never made it.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I kinda wish I lived out there, from a hunting standpoint. Soooo many more opportunities than we have here. I do hope to go slaughter (can't call it hunting) a bunch of p-dogs in SD in the spring.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Love Pinedale Area and Wind River Range, Killed my first bull when I was 17 in Colorado, Had lots of invites down in NM, just never made it.

Have hunted the Bondurant / Pinedale area for deer several times. Spent most of my time up Fish Creek and Cottonwood Creek off of the Gros Ventre chasing elk and moose. Hunted the Elk Mountain and Laramie area as well for speed goats. The Gros Ventre is my favorite though, but not nearly what it used to be. I know that area like the back of my hand. There are too many wolves there out of Yellowstone now and it is basically not worth the time. I'm currently sitting on 14 moose points hoping to draw the Snowy's or Elk Mountain area of unit 38 when I get to 16-18 points. I think that is what it will take. Spent my second honeymoon in the Flattops of Colorado bowhunting elk. (Wife went too, just so you don't think I'm that much of a d-bag.) NM is great, but I have only drawn tags there a few times.

Dirty Steve

2500chev

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Northeast IN
    Been hunting Wyoming for 22 years, only missed being drawn 2 times in all those years. My friends and I were introduced by parents and friends that started going out in the mid 50's... They have passed on to us and we started with the next generation this year...
    What an honor to take the next generation out this year !!! Same Ranch all this time, great friends !!

Wouldn't give it up for anything and very greatful.. The west is such an awesome place to be and I also take my wife out every few years, during the summer of course, to keep in the good graces ! Also allows for early season scouting.

Plus I get to work up a new rifle evey few years to play with... Wife still doesn't get that :):

Good to here about other people making the trip..

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    I didn't go out west, but I did go to Canada. I really enjoyed the outfitter that we went with, and he is a Hoosier. PM me if you want his info. He runs a great camp. Also, this thread gives me an excuse to post another picture. :):

image.jpg

lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    Have hunted the Bondurant / Pinedale area for deer several times. Spent most of my time up Fish Creek and Cottonwood Creek off of the Gros Ventre chasing elk and moose. Hunted the Elk Mountain and Laramie area as well for speed goats. The Gros Ventre is my favorite though, but not nearly what it used to be. I know that area like the back of my hand. There are too many wolves there out of Yellowstone now and it is basically not worth the time. I'm currently sitting on 14 moose points hoping to draw the Snowy's or Elk Mountain area of unit 38 when I get to 16-18 points. I think that is what it will take. Spent my second honeymoon in the Flattops of Colorado bowhunting elk. (Wife went too, just so you don't think I'm that much of a d-bag.) NM is great, but I have only drawn tags there a few times.

Dirty Steve
    Best way I can think of to spent a honeymoon, Elk Ivory make great gifts. Wolves ARE A BIG PROBLEM, I think 80% of the hunters do not know the collateral damage they are doing though out the west on big game populations. I lived 50 miles north of Yellowstone, Was in on the first meetings with feds, FWP. I knew we where going to get screwed. Very HEATED debates, to the point Law enforcement had to be present, this was in 1996. Talked to a friend in October, He said there was no moose left in Yellowstone, No bull tags, late cow season gone. My wife got a email last night from the gal that did her hair, she bag a Wolf right outside Livingston. I outfitted in the northwest corner of Montana, We always had wolves, but not like now . Some of the best hunting, 400 plus bulls, B & C Whitetail and Mule Deer. 2.3 million acres of PUBLIC Land. From the guys I talk to, them days are going away fast. Idaho is in big trouble, a lot of , due to Fish and game MISMANAGEMENT. BEST Anti Hunting tool backed by the Feds .

lionhunt64

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2012
    At Close Range
    Been hunting Wyoming for 22 years, only missed being drawn 2 times in all those years. My friends and I were introduced by parents and friends that started going out in the mid 50's... They have passed on to us and we started with the next generation this year...
    What an honor to take the next generation out this year !!! Same Ranch all this time, great friends !!

Wouldn't give it up for anything and very greatful.. The west is such an awesome place to be and I also take my wife out every few years, during the summer of course, to keep in the good graces ! Also allows for early season scouting.

Plus I get to work up a new rifle evey few years to play with... Wife still doesn't get that :):

Good to here about other people making the trip..

I do not ask how many Shoes my Wife has !, She never questions firearms. Life is great.

indybrad

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Went out to Wyoming a couple years ago. Went with Wyoming Wildlife Outfitters in Sheridan. It was my third time out, second with a rifle. The guides he has, and property he leases are great. I'm pretty sure they've been leasing them for over 40 years. 2 out of 3 for me. Archery hunting out there is harder than I thought it would be.

Top Bottom