• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • car06281

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 1, 2009
    Near Richmond
    A father of one of the Sandy Hook victims today ask why any civilian needs an assault style weapon to which two or three hecklers yelled out something about the 2nd amendment (2A). As gun owners we need more than the 2A to support our position for owning guns. The 2A can be changed or dropped any time the majority is able to pull it off and we need to be able to respond logically to those attempts.

For starters, trotting out the 2A defense to a parent in that situation is insensitive and bad PR (PR is important). I ask the same question myself before I bought my 1st ar15. Now I own at least 6 assault style weapons and I'd like to expand my collection. People to change their positions if someone is willing to engage them or because of their personal own experience. Most gun control advocates I know won't be convinced by hitting them over the head with the 2A. Don't get me wrong. I support the 2A and deplore any attempts to dilute it.

I own assault weapons because I want to have the the capability to protect my family from any rogue element that wants to harm them. I own assault weapons for protection on my farm from stray dogs and coyotes. I own assault weapons as a hobby. Most of all my position began to change when I saw how our government started to pry into our lives and monitor us after 9/11. I don't disparage hardcore 2A proponents I just don't think that is enough to stem the tide.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Very good point.

You Sir explained why you need a "Sporting Rifle"-the % of FULL auto "Assault Rifles" in the public is very small, and even smaller % are ever used in any type of crime.

The people of the U.S. that are all uptight about "Assault Rifles" are almost completely unaware of what they are talking about. These people are mostly like anyone else in the respect that they fear the unknown.

What they DO know on this topic is what they hear on MSM news, ALL, other than FOX News, repeat the same words=Guns are Bad=Lets get rid of the GUNS and we will all be SAFE!!

Citizens that base their opinion on facts know that this not true.

Citizens that have studied U.S., and World History know that this is not true.

Our "Sporting Rifles" are needed as the best TOOL to protect our Families and Homestead against evil and injury from any four legged, or TWO legged danger that may occur..Bill.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I don't see any difference in him using his personal tragedy to control the lives of other people.

Would he be any less grieved if his son were killed by a drunk driver? Would he be asking why any body needed alcohol?

I'm thinking not. His loss is monumental and tragic, but as cold-hearted as it sounds, it's HIS loss. Why should my life be turned upside down and ruined because his was? Life goes on for the rest of us and the world keeps turning.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    I don't see any difference in him using his personal tragedy to control the lives of other people.

Would he be any less grieved if his son were killed by a drunk driver? Would he be asking why any body needed alcohol?

I'm thinking not. His loss is monumental and tragic, but as cold-hearted as it sounds, it's HIS loss. Why should my life be turned upside down and ruined because his was? Life goes on for the rest of us and the world keeps turning.

in principle you're right. however, we need come to grips with the agenda here, and this whole personal tragedy has become a MEDIA FIASCO designed to drive that agenda.

did they try to ban old people, or cars, or old people driving cars when that geezer plowed into dozens at a market some years ago? no, and you'd be demonized for SUGGESTING that we would have control on that.

agenda, i tell you. WE need to come to grips with that. the ULTIMATE AGENDA is to ban guns. ACCEPT IT. only when you finally realize the goal of the enemy will you be able to combat it.

the tinfoil hat part doesn't come into play until you start wondering WHAT force is perpetuating this.

Bob2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    I was surprised to see the MSM report this from the hearings...

His voice wavering, Mark Mattioli wiped away tears as he recalled the day his 6-year-old son died when a man wielding an AR-15 semi-automatic rifle broke into Sandy Hook Elementary School and began shooting.
    His son, James, was among the 20 children and seven adults killed by Adam Lanza on December 14 in Newtown, Connecticut -- an event so horrific that it has since spawned a federal task force and kick-started a national conversation about gun control.
    But unlike the handful of other parents who testified Monday at the emotionally charged hearing in Hartford, Connecticut, Mattioli said there are more than enough gun laws on the books. He called instead for a closer look at mental health policies.
    Why new laws could miss America's bigger gun problem
    "I don't care if you named it 'James' law,' I don't want (another law)," he said during the first of a series of meetings set up by a legislative task force assigned to review the state's gun laws.

"I think there's much more promise for a solution in identifying, researching and creating solutions along the lines of mental health."

Top Bottom