Diagnosed with high blood pressure, at the age of 26 :(.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oliver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2WzkgkufyE[/ame]

I know that laughter is a great stress reliever! All kidding aside, good luck, and I hope you overcome your condition.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    My high BP problems started a lot like yours. I always felt like crap and was grouchy as hell. The medication helps a lot. Removing stress can be a lot of the problem for some people. One thing to keep an eye on is when you are sick. If I have allergy issues mine will jump up 20 on both numbers.
    Laugh if you will but shooting is my stress relief, on a day at the range I feel a lot better. :ar15:
    Haha, yeah. I am rarely sick - maybe once every two or three years... Ask my wife - when I get sick I'm the worlds biggest baby so she's glad it's rare.

A lot of it can be genetic too. Hypertension can be a sign of a condition rather than isolated.
    Mom and grandmother were hypertensive. Not sure about grandfather - passed before I was born and father passed at age 42 so not sure.

Lisinopril 10mg = $9 for 3 months at Walmart. 20mg tab split in half is $4.50/3 months :)
    With my insurance, it was something like $4/month at CVS for the 10mg. Honestly, I spend more than that in about 10 seconds at the range so I'm not super concerned... At least it's not ridiculous like ... being a diabetic... The worlds most expensive chronic disease.

Is that a straight 30 mins., or 30 mins. with lots of breaks?
    I tend to do 30 minutes of straight cardio but I do intervals of 2 minutes 6mph and 1 minute of 3.5 mph. I watch my heart rate while I exercise and I definitely sweat like a pig :).

How tall are you?
    6'1"

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    If any of you have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana and have any direct numbers/escalation extensions that would be appreciated.

Let's just say that I'm not enjoying working with them and the representatives I'm able to reach are cryptic at best.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If any of you have Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield of Indiana and have any direct numbers/escalation extensions that would be appreciated.

Let's just say that I'm not enjoying working with them and the representatives I'm able to reach are cryptic at best.

What are you calling about? With my job I'm calling insurance all the time and can tell you the best numbers to get through and get something done depending on what is going on.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure... The doctor had some tests run on my thyroid, kidneys, liver, etc... Wanted to rule out any causes that would be non-hereditary (i.e something treatable)... $420 in labs and the insurance company is refusing to pay.

They're trying to make the argument that I had high blood pressure (and knew it) before I obtained insurance when, in fact, I did not. I didn't have insurance for something like 10 years before I obtained insurance (just never saw the need, generally I only get sick once every 2 years).

I only got insurance for my son ( who is 7 months old now ) and I went to the doctor to get something to help me sleep (I have insomnia) and during that doctor's visit he said I had high blood pressure (news to me).

Needless to say they're trying to tell me they want something like the last 10 years of medical records and aren't taking 'I haven't been to any doctors before the one I have now as I never had the need.' as the answer.

Whenever I call I can't get to a supervisor or anybody who can do anything more than read from the script on their screen and it's extremely irritating.

I pay these people *several* hundred dollars per month for what? For them to deny claims and hold onto my money? If not for my son, I'd have canceled and told them to f*ck off.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yeah, I have the same problem. I had a migraine that would not go away. Went to the Dr. and my blood pressure was spiked. I have never had a problem before. I know a lot of mine is from stress. I also know I'm not taking care of myself as I should. Between work and school, I just don't have any motivation, but I do now. I do not want to be on medication long term, if I don't have to be.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    The best treatment for me and high blood pressure was walking. After every single meal. No less than 20 minutes, usually no more than 45. Stop smoking, stop eating fried food, and lay off the extra salt. Also if you drop just 5% of your body weight it can make a significant difference. HBP takes a long and silent toll on your kidneys, heart, pancreas, and joints...make it go away now if you can.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    I was diagnosed with high blood pressure... The doctor had some tests run on my thyroid, kidneys, liver, etc... Wanted to rule out any causes that would be non-hereditary (i.e something treatable)... $420 in labs and the insurance company is refusing to pay.

They're trying to make the argument that I had high blood pressure (and knew it) before I obtained insurance when, in fact, I did not. I didn't have insurance for something like 10 years before I obtained insurance (just never saw the need, generally I only get sick once every 2 years).

I only got insurance for my son ( who is 7 months old now ) and I went to the doctor to get something to help me sleep (I have insomnia) and during that doctor's visit he said I had high blood pressure (news to me).

Needless to say they're trying to tell me they want something like the last 10 years of medical records and aren't taking 'I haven't been to any doctors before the one I have now as I never had the need.' as the answer.

Whenever I call I can't get to a supervisor or anybody who can do anything more than read from the script on their screen and it's extremely irritating.

I pay these people *several* hundred dollars per month for what? For them to deny claims and hold onto my money? If not for my son, I'd have canceled and told them to f*ck off.

Call this number:
    1-800-382-5520

Explain situation, when the operator cannot help, ask to speak with a supervisor. Explain situation to supervisor, and insist that they open a ticket about the issue. Record ticket number and ask them what the escalation level is on the ticket. Have your doctor give them a call and reference the ticket number and inform them that he of course has full access to medical records and that he is the first physician to diagnose the hypertension. Ill do some more digging next time I work.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Thanks - I did ask for a supervisor but they told me 'there are no supervisors here'... I said "In your entire building, there are absolutely no supervisors?" and she said "There are only 5 of us here, sir."

I was in shock.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Thanks - I did ask for a supervisor but they told me 'there are no supervisors here'... I said "In your entire building, there are absolutely no supervisors?" and she said "There are only 5 of us here, sir."

I was in shock.

That is a flat out lie. They are in giant call centers with a supervisor for I would guess every 10 representatives. Give the pharmacy line a call, and then ask for a supervisor. Then they will be able to at least open a ticket and will probably get you in contact with another supervisor. If you need any help with any of the BS let me know. I've gotten pretty good at jumping through their flaming hoops.

Edit: check out this link: http://www.anthem.com/wps/portal/ah...nt External Review of a Denied Claim&state=me

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Maybe get a sleep study done. Quit reading the political sections on INGO (seriously). Good luck.
    I actually use the 'new posts' link at the top and, here lately, political is where the action has been.

I have to be careful or I'll end up in the womens-only section (did that before).

Top Bottom