• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So I've had my 11-87 for a year or two now and in that time I've mostly used it for clay pigeons and pheasants. With the 26" vent rib barrel it came with and bulk cheap 7 1/2 or 8 shot loads its been 100% reliable. With #4 or #6 shot for pheasants its also been 100% reliable. I had this idea to use my 11-87 for some more home defense oriented shooting and I bought this barrel: Remington Barrel Remington 11-87 Police 12 Ga 3 18-1/2 Fixed Improved

I got out with it today and I had some 3" winchester rifled slugs, some 2 3/4" seller and belliot 00, and some 2 3/4" low brass #4's. I just wanted to see how it handled those rounds and with the 18" police barrel every round was the same. The shotgun would fire, but the bolt would not budge. I would have to manually cycle the action and extract every round after firing.

Did I buy the wrong aftermarket barrel? Was there something I should have been doing but didn't? Operator error? I'd like to get this up and running, but I'm at a loss for what to do.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    New bbl have clogged gas ports?

Did you remove the metal and synth rings of the gas system during the swap of barrels?
    (might just have put them back wrong).

BTW Slug bbls for 1187 are not pressure compensating, so might flub with llight loads.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    New bbl have clogged gas ports?

Did you remove the metal and synth rings of the gas system during the swap of barrels?
    (might just have put them back wrong).

BTW Slug bbls for 1187 are not pressure compensating, so might flub with llight loads.

Basically I took one barrel, and put the other on. I didn't mess with any little parts on the barrels near the gas ports. The shotgun was very clean and very lightly lubed before changing barrels.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'd suspect the new bbl to have packing grease or other plugging up the ports.
    If those check clear then maybe something not letting the metal and rubber O ring group (riding ahead of the action sleeve) seat on the step of the bbl collar.
    Maybe a burr or some crud solidified. If that stack doesn't sit on the collar then gas just blows by it right at the start, you get no shove.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    You can put a pick or something in the ports and see it when looking through the barrel. Was the o ring on the tube when you put the barrel on? Try the original one to see if it is still happening.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    1) Check ports in new barrel.
    2) Re-install old barrel and test fire. Isolate problem to barrel or gun.

Check to make sure that in the barrel swap the o ring and metal ring were properly retained in correct orientation.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    Original barrel has 2 gas ports so more volume of gas goes to cycle the action using light loads. Slugs put out a whole lot of gas off at higher pressures so check your slug barrel and I believe you will find that it only has 1 gas port hole. That one port is not enough volume using light loads (when compared to a slug load) to cycle the action.
    Then there is the obvious...do you have the piston upside down? Flat side points to the receiver. Domed side points to the muzzle.

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I know the problem: you suck with a shotgun.

hi teddy.

LOL, I was waiting for it. I'm actually pretty good with this shotgun though.

I'll check the ports in the shotgun when I get back home tomorrow. I've been out of town a lot lately and I'll see how it looks when I get back.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    The action sleeve on an 1187 is of the lighter type.
    That is because any "extra gas" bleeds off at the barrel ring (spring steel clip unseats) on pressure compensating barrels.
    My 1100 magnums cycle low brass 1 1/8 oz trap loads............single gas port and heavy action sleeve.............but those barrels are 26" or longer.
    The 18.5" bbl might be making things picky. From the pic in the link it isn't pressure compensating............dunno what port size they made it due to that.

FWIW reg slug bbls are 21" (and some 23").

I just pulled up a pic from the web, reportedly shows an 1187 21" slug barrel with 2 ports. I didn't get any measurement with that thread though.
    The 18.5" might run a different size port................or with Big Greens fabulous quality of late...............maybe they aren't the right size?

It'd be nice to get a port measurement from a reputable place and see if the barrel in question is to spec.

Good luck finding that place.

Remington form letter last time I had a legit question pretty much ruined me on dealing with the company.

Hopefully you know somebody with the same bbl, can get measurements or maybe even swap bbls for test.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    So tonight I finally had some time to take it all apart and investigate further. The barrel has two ports drilled at what looks to be about a 45° angle. I shined a flashlight on the outside and saw light in the barrel. I could clearly see the ports were not obstructed. My gas o ring was right where it should have been and all I can think to do is scratch my head. Its gotta be something simple that I'm just overlooking I know it.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    So tonight I finally had some time to take it all apart and investigate further. The barrel has two ports drilled at what looks to be about a 45° angle. I shined a flashlight on the outside and saw light in the barrel. I could clearly see the ports were not obstructed. My gas o ring was right where it should have been and all I can think to do is scratch my head. Its gotta be something simple that I'm just overlooking I know it.
    Got the piston upside down or missing? The Oring missing will do nothing but make the area underneath the forearm very dirty from burnt powder residue.

glockman49

1911 NUT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2010
    Floyd County Indiana
    Are you using the gas cylinder collar on your slug barrel? I believe you are supposed to leave it off on a slug barrel. You only need it on your standard barrel. Call Remington with questions regarding this. I know I didn't put my collar on when I changed barrels as the instructions showed the collar not used on slug barrels.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I'm an idiot. We've been doing a lot of work around the house and I haven't been able to get back on this project, but last night I was looking in the collar of my bird barrel for the 11-87 and guess what was in there, the piston and seal. I have no explanation for how the o-ring stayed on the tube, but the piston and seal didn't. I suppose it's help to put a gun back together correctly if you want it to work. That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life and I'm feeling lucky that I didn't blow myself up. Such a dumb mistake. I'll get it put back together correctly and report back.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I'm an idiot. We've been doing a lot of work around the house and I haven't been able to get back on this project, but last night I was looking in the collar of my bird barrel for the 11-87 and guess what was in there, the piston and seal. I have no explanation for how the o-ring stayed on the tube, but the piston and seal didn't. I suppose it's help to put a gun back together correctly if you want it to work. That's got to be one of the dumbest things I've ever done in my life and I'm feeling lucky that I didn't blow myself up. Such a dumb mistake. I'll get it put back together correctly and report back.
    LOL That can happen...the piston getting stuck in the barrel collar. So what you are saying is that I WAS RIGHT.... "Got the piston upside down OR MISSING". :):

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    LOL That can happen...the piston getting stuck in the barrel collar. So what you are saying is that I WAS RIGHT.... "Got the piston upside down OR MISSING". :):

Pretty much saying you're right and that I'm an idiot, :). Hopefully my dear sweet wife will allow me a few minutes times to get out back and do some blasting to see if I can get the 11-87 running.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    As luck would have it I loaded up 5 rounds of federal truball slugs and the shotgun worked as it should. Cycled 100%. Amazing how well ma hknedy works when you have all the parts in them.

Top Bottom