• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    There has been a lot of discussion in other threads about the Department of Homeland Security, and just what level of jurisdiction they are on. IMO, this page on our own Indianapolis. Gov website pretty much sums if up.

Link to page: Home

The City of Indianapolis Department of Public Safety established strategic objectives around which “the entire public safety department can mobilize to secure the City of Indianapolis Metropolitan Area from the dangerous and evolving threat of terrorism, prepare and mitigate for natural disasters, develop intelligence competencies, and plan and secure special events.” It aligns and focuses homeland security functions into several critical mission areas and identifies foundations that cut across all these mission areas. These foundations represent main sources of strength to draw upon in supporting and enabling terrorism-fighting activities.
    The Department of Public Safety’s made significant positive change by stepping away from the previous efforts or paradigm and redirecting processes, procedures, attitudes, structures and systems into a new high performing – accountable Division of Homeland Security through:
    • “All hazards” risk based strategic and operational planning models,
    • Decentralized emergency response criteria with defined output/outcome objectives,
    • Significant emphasis on crime reduction/prevention, injury/loss prevention roles and responsibilities, and
    • Community centric organization philosophies.
    Application of the principles of risk management within the new Division of Homeland Security leads to enhanced safety and security through a redirection of energies on clear, objective risk assessments and measurable performance outcomes focused on prevention, preparedness and mitigation on all hazards versus the current traditional response to a specific situation paradigm. This includes specific roles for the sections under the division and the creation of a Real Time Rapid Analysis Management Section to assist in crime fighting and prevention. The framework shall be structured to maintain the roles and responsibilities of each sector for funding and delivering services and at the same time maintaining situational awareness with the Director of Public Safety for guidance and direction.
    The direction of the Division of Homeland Security is that every member of each section will receive an appropriate level of education, equipment and technology to perform their duties. In addition to the recommendation of a paradigm shift for this new division, the initiative shall recommend new duties and responsibilities for the Emergency Preparedness and Management, Metro Police Homeland Security, and Metro Fire Tactical Resources. This opportunity has far reaching potential going well beyond simple change to the creation of a high performing and accountable public safety services.
    Visit our About Us page to learn more about the Division of Homeland Security

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Each Federal agency has a specific mission and specific statutory Powers of Arrest. For instance a US Marshal can not arrest someone for a DUI. That is one benefit of local LEO's on multi agency Task Forces. State, Municiple or County LEO's sometimes can arrest a suspect on something that might be outside a FED LEO's statutory powers of Arrest for etc. Each Federal Agency has different policy on what they can or can not Arrest someone on. Generally the on the FED side while they (depending onm agency) has a lot of times they "may" arrest someone local Officers sometimes have a little more wiggle room not to mention a local ordanance etc.

Also as far as who takes over jurisdiction usually the FED's because on a Federal coviction they do 85% of theior time behind the fence and only 15% on paper at best. Not 100% a lot of times it is up to the US Attorney (if they want to bring Federal charges etc) or the State Prosecutor. Also a lot of times they can be hit with a detainer for the state so when released they are not realeased but transfered to the state for serviving a state sentence in the case of multiple charges in seperate courts.

Last edited:

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    In Indiana, I am pretty sure the DHS is on a "Local" enforcement, not Federal, since my company now has to make the check for the Boiler Inspection out to "The Department Of Homeland Security".

Also the old Certificate we have to display said it was issued by:
    Office of the State Building Commissioner
    Division of Boiler & Pressure Safety
    etc Indy address etc

Now it says it is issued by;
    Boiler & Pressure Vessel Section
    Division of Fire & Building Safety
    Indiana Department of Homeland Security
    etc Indy address etc

In my book, if they are collecting "State" compliance fees, for a "State" agency, then they are on a state enforcement level, not federal.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    In Indiana, I am pretty sure the DHS is on a "Local" enforcement, not Federal, since my company now has to make the check for the Boiler Inspection out to "The Department Of Homeland Security".

Also the old Certificate we have to display said it was issued by:
    Office of the State Building Commissioner
    Division of Boiler & Pressure Safety
    etc Indy address etc

Now it says it is issued by;
    Boiler & Pressure Vessel Section
    Division of Fire & Building Safety
    Indiana Department of Homeland Security
    etc Indy address etc

I guess I misunderstood your question and thought it was directed on the Enforcement (as in arresting/detention etc) side. There is both a State and Federal Department of Homland Security.

Generally on the state side as in your example "oversee" a lot of inspection type items of various infrastructure etc. Apparently Boilers are another area of oversight. I don't think all of us could guess everything they have their hands in these days.

Loc n load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    DHS

A lot of people do not realize that those are two separate entities ( state DHS & federal)....also Federal LEO's can be "sworn in" as state or county authorities if the state AG deems it necessary. I had this happen when deployed to the Rodney King riots & Hurricane Andrew disaster back in 92. That way, we had complete jurisdictional authority so that all the bases were covered for whatever came our way.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    There is a Federal DHS. There is a state DHS. Indianapolis has a local DHS. They aren't one in the same, the formation of the Indianapolis DHS consisted of nothing more than realigning resources to work more efficiently in the event of a crisis and giving it a trendy name.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There is a Federal DHS. There is a state DHS. Indianapolis has a local DHS. They aren't one in the same, the formation of the Indianapolis DHS consisted of nothing more than realigning resources to work more efficiently in the event of a crisis and giving it a trendy name.

There was a nationwide directive signed by President Bush in 2002 ish that sort of formed/streamlined the National Incident Management System (NIMS) About all LEO's Fire, EMS and civic leaders are almost mandated to complete the course work for it (anyone can take it online for several blocks FEMA.GOV but there are 2 blocks that you have to do inresidence). It crosses all State. federal and local lines using every resource where it needs to be when it's needed.

It takes a lot of the confusion out and streamlines resourses in the event of a national emergency/disaster. While it has had some growing pains it is a lot better system than what was in place. DHS is heavely involved as somewhat of an oversear of it to a point.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I'm clear on all of that and I'd find it difficult to argue with the logic of that initiative. What it doesn't do though it join the local, state & federal DHS agencies. Seems as that was the point of the thread and it isn't the case.

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    I'm clear on all of that and I'd find it difficult to argue with the logic of that initiative. What it doesn't do though it join the local, state & federal DHS agencies. Seems as that was the point of the thread and it isn't the case.

It wasn't ;) but more a jab at "do we really know for sure" who a person is representing when they say, " Hi, I'm from DHS, and I am here to __________ you. (you fill in the blank :D) Someone like a member here or from another board that regularly discusses the differences in agencies might, but your average Joe, may not. Keep in mind how much confusion there is on Indiana's LTCH, and gun laws in general, then transfer that to how many agencies refer to themselves as DHS or a division of thereof.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indianapolis has a DIVISION of Homeland Security, not a Dept. of Homeland Security. Similarly we have a Division of Operations and a Division of Investigations.

IMPD officers falling under HS includes most specialized uniformed assignments, such as motorcycle cops for traffic enforcement.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom