• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammerhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    N8RV, let me give you a bit more information. I've posted this before, but it's always good for a refresher for the new people.

The cited case, Washington, provided one point that protects people against aggressive LEOs. Washington provided that if the person was separated from the danger, then officer safety didn't allow a search. In this case, the suspect was cuffed and sitting on the curb outside of his vehicle and his firearm was inside under the seat. The officers didn't have PC or RAS to search for the firearm because the danger was no longer valid.

What most of the LEOs on there don't understand, or know, is that there is another case that protects legal carriers from LEOs. This case is State v. Richardson. The IN Supreme Court ruled in this case that once a valid (verified) LTCH is presented, all questions into firearms must cease. A LEO can ask to see your LTCH to run a check on it. After that, any further action violates this ruling.

But, that's not all. There's something else. Terry v. Ohio states that one must be armed and dangerous AND have been, currently are, or will be committing a crime to be disarmed. Some people forget that there are three specific points in Terry, armed AND dangerous AND crime afoot. If you are just armed, that's not enough.

But wait, there's more. In Indiana, LEOs must, by law, be able to go in front of a judge and specify what danger you presented in order to sieze your firearm. There is no wiggle room about officer safety or only seizing it for a short time to illegally run a search on the serial number or while he's back at his vehicle running your information. In case you want to look it up, it's IC 35-47-14-3. This means that if during a traffic stop the LEO takes your firearm, he's just put himself in the position to follow that section of the law.

Let's review. Three of the four legal points I've just spoken about refer to the person being dangerous or dangerous AND breaking a law. The other stops questioning or further action once your valid LTCH is verified. If we combine this with the lack of duty to inform that you're carrying, you not only have a compelling argument to not inform, but also a lot of solid legal ground if you do and the officer violates your rights.

How do you ensure your rights are protected? Keep your mouth shut. Don't answer questions unnecessarily. Don't bring the presence of your firearm into a traffic stop that has nothing to do with anything other than the traffic stop. I also recommend that you carry a digital voice recorder to record any interaction with LEOs, if not using your phone or something to video record the interaction.

IANAL, but there are several here on INGO that I've discussed this with. If you want to ensure that you're exercising your rights properly, I'd suggest speaking with one of them.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    It amazes me how many gun owners "don't have a problem" with their Rights being violated, and the law being broken, in the interest of so-called "Officer Safety"

What would be you're recommended course of action to take?

Let's say that you did not inform the officer that you were CCing legally and that he saw the CC and became very excited. What do you recommend?

I'd prefer to inform the police (at this time), so as not to accidentally get shot due to a misunderstanding. I've been through one of those Blue on Blue engagements in the 1st Persian Gulf War and while very stimulating, I prefer not to do it again especially at close range.

Last edited:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It amazes me how many gun owners "don't have a problem" with their Rights being violated, and the law being broken, in the interest of so-called "Officer Safety"

I had it happen to me, and I DO have a problem with it.

Am I just supposed to say "NO! you can't have my gun!" ?

I dare you next time you get stopped out in BFE to do it, and report back to us what happens... :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Let's say that you did not inform the officer that you were CCing legally and that he saw the CC and became very excited. What do you recommend?

I'd prefer to inform the police (at this time), so as not to accidentally get shot due to a misunderstanding. I've been through one of those Blue on Blue engagements in the 1st Persian Gulf War and while very stimulating, I prefer not to do it again especially at close range.

Accidentally shot? Pretty sure it wouldn't be an accident.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

"Officer, I have an LTCH, ehre you go.."

I dare you next time you get stopped out in BFE to do it, and report back to us what happens... :D

"I don't consent to any searches or seizures of my property at this time, may I request a Supervisor?"

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edporch

"Officer, I have an LTCH, ehre you go.."

"I don't consent to any searches or seizures of my property at this time, may I request a Supervisor?"

That may work in some situations, but in my case, I was in the middle of nowhere, and "discretion being the better part of valor...".

It was smartest to just let him hold my Glock 29 10mm if it made him feel better. :D

You see, I had other LEGAL expensive bigger weapons in my car, worth a LOT of money in the trunk and an unmagazined LWRC Piston M4 with ACOG scope worth $2500+ on the floor in the back seat under a blanket that I DIDN'T want anybody screwing around with.

If I had raised a stink and had them go through my car there would've been a lot of questions asked about why I had these other (legal and expensive) weapons in my car.

I wasn't going to risk having them taken to "sort things out", and then going through a hassle getting them back.

I did the right thing under the circumstances and I'd do the same thing again.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Quote:

That may work in some situations, but in my case, I was in the middle of nowhere, and "discretion being the better part of valor...".

It was smartest to just let him hold my Glock 29 10mm if it made him feel better. :D

You see, I had other LEGAL expensive bigger weapons in my car, worth a LOT of money in the trunk and an unmagazined LWRC Piston M4 with ACOG scope worth $2500+ on the floor in the back seat under a blanket that I DIDN'T want anybody screwing around with.

If I had raised a stink and had them go through my car there would've been a lot of questions asked about why I had these other (legal and expensive) weapons in my car.

I wasn't going to risk having them taken to "sort things out", and then going through a hassle getting them back.

OK, I will give you that, your's was a slightly different situation than a driver with just their EDC on their hip..

Not that you even NEED an LTCH for rifles, but ...

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    in plainfield the officer pulled me over for not having my lights on after dusk...had four handguns and a shot gun in the back on the front seat that i just transfered in....he told me to turn my lights on...i was messing with the glock 17 at the red light while it was empty and i thought somebody said something...he didnt even care..asked to see my license and license to carry and i was on my way

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Quote:
    Quote:

OK, I will give you that, your's was a slightly different situation than a driver with just their EDC on their hip..

Not that you even NEED an LTCH for rifles, but ...

To me, this was about picking one's legal "battles".

I realize I don't need a LTCH for rifles.

But I realize too, that people being what they are, there's also the chance that the Deputy who stopped me may want to "return the favor" of me insisting everything be done exactly by the "book".

I know a guy who was pulled over for speeding on the way to meet me.

The officer got his handgun, and then asked if he had any more firearms in the car?
    He had a shotgun in the truck, so the officer actually RAN the serial numbers of both the handgun and the shotgun.

No, they weren't stolen, but what happens if when he ran them he didn't get a definite answer?

"Well sir, I'm going to confiscate these until we can sort this out..."

In my case, the other weapons I had were cool ones that could get "lost in the shuffle", or be handled roughly and damaged before I got them back.

I'm just saying I DO have a problem with people who have a LTCH who are of NO danger to anybody (except criminals) having their handgun taken, just to run a traffic ticket.

This needs to be changed, but we have to be careful to choose the time and place for our legal "battles".

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    Quote:

I'm just saying I DO have a problem with people who have a LTCH who are of NO danger to anybody (except criminals) having their handgun taken, just to run a traffic ticket.

This needs to be changed, but we have to be careful to choose the time and place for our legal "battles".

:yesway: That is exactly the same point of view I have on this.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    First, let me say that I would not disclose the fact that I was carrying upfront to an officer in a typical traffic stop, but I would not lie about it either. If he asked to take my gun I would say "NO". It is better for my and his safety where it is. If he got huffy and started ordering me to give it to him, I would ask that he call his supervisor, that I thought he was acting contrary to and outside the law himself. If he persisted I would relent but call the department within minutes and file a complaint and ask that the officer be trained on Indiana gun laws. If it got too out of control I would also contact my attorney.

I would not keep a gun in the glove box, if that is where I also kept my registration and insurance paperwork. If I kept a gun in the glove box, my insurance and registration paperwork would be kept on the visor.

I had a young shiny new face officer pull in behind me once as I was entering a convenience store. He advised me that I had been speeding prior to pulling into the store parking lot. As we were standing outside of the car and he asked for my license, I did advise him that I was carrying and that I was a LTCH holder because I had my wallet in my right rear pocket and my Colt Defender 1911 was at 4 o'clock inches away. He panicked and immediatelly reached for his gun with one hand and reached for mine with the other. I calmly told him "No Touch, No touch" and stepped away from him. His brain caught up with his actions and he settled down abit. He wrote me a warning for speeding, apologized for overreacting and asked "Why I carried?" I advised him that I carried for the same reason he carried, For self protection. He seemed amused and concerned all at the same time. Welcome to the world of law enforcement young officer.

Last edited:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

I will refuse if it ever happens to me again!
    And I will definitely report back if/when it does.

Jarhead1775

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 21, 2012
    Rushville
    So then when? If not at the side of the road when it's occurring, when? When do you choose the time to make this legal battle? How often are you driving, getting stopped when you AREN'T on your way somewhere or busy?

Not arguing, but
    The way I look at is this, if they ask for it I will simply state "I would rather not as it is safe where it is, but if you insist I will comply." Why get testy over something that is a simple phone call later to the supervisor if you so choose. Now if the LEO is getting testy about it, then by all means have them radio for a supervisor and handle it right where you are at.

As you stated, when aren't you going somewhere or in a hurry... wouldn't calling the supervisor in your case take MORE time than complying and handling it in a friendly manner and going on about your way.

There is a time and place to "teach" a lesson/law and then there is NOT the time or place. It is a pick a choose type deal. Do you honestly want to get into a legality argument on every questionable thing that occurs. It's an inconvenience to be stopped anyhow, even if you deserved to be stopped, but in most cases there is not a reason to inconvenience yourself any more than necessary.

The LEO's also have to pick and choose their battles in most instances also... Yes, there are the HARD Rookies that are there to prove a point to the world and make a name for themselves. You need to look at it from both sides sometimes and it makes situations easier to get through.

I know not everyone feels the same, nor do I expect them to. I will be courteous unless the time arises to not be.

:patriot:

trapperDave

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Morristown, IN
    courteous yes...but I will not waive ANY of my rights, EVER. I will courteously say I do not NOT consent to any search of my person, belongings,vehicle nor will offer up my legally owned and possessed guns for anyone to coonfinger. I will not resist, but i do not consent. If that doesnt stop it, I'll lawyer up and I WILL make an example of the officer

Top Bottom