• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Went to get my AR out of layaway today and got a delay response to the background check. First time it's happened to me and I have no idea why it did. Is there a number I can call to find out? I went on the FBI website but there wasn't anything there to call about delays. It did say that after 3 business days the sale can go through but the guy at the gun counter said no sale unless approved.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Not sure if this is the right forum or not. Went to get my AR out of layaway today and got a delay response to the background check. First time it's happened to me and I have no idea why it did. Is there a number I can call to find out? I went on the FBI website but there wasn't anything there to call about delays. It did say that after 3 business days the sale can go through but the guy at the gun counter said no sale unless approved.

Some big box stores like Dicks have a corporate policy that they will not complete the transaction without an explicit PROCEED even though law states they may transfer the firearm after 3 days without a DENIED. Somebody else here had the same issue. Kept getting delayed and had to keep going back to the store.

I talked about it to the guy who walked me to the register with my rifle. He had a guy that went on for several weeks. Delay, delay, delay. Every week a delay. I forgot if the guy ever gave up or if he was ever approved.

That is one of the reasons I try to avoid big box stores for gun purchases.

Salty

Unwokeable
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2015
    Indianapolis
    That's happened to me a couple of times. The store called me to pick it up or I went to pick it up after 3 days. Most of the time I can take it home the same day. If you have been approved in the past I wouldn't worry about it.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    Yeah and I have my LTCH. I know the license is a state check but still. The last gun I bought was my Glock which was last year. But I havent done anything illegal or even been pulled over ...nothing

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If you have a common name things can go sideways. I've had issues when I submitted the form without my ssn. I'd rather not supply it, but then I'd rather not have issues either.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    Delays can happen for a variety of reasons, many of which have nothing to do with you. It happens. I have been delayed twice and both times nothing ever came back from the ATF and I picked the gun up after the three business days.

HollidaySlim

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Happened to me on a couple of purchases last Saturday, first time I have ever been delayed after getting proceeded on quite a few purchases prior to those. NICS got back with the delealers on Wednesday with proceeds, but it sucked. I have a feeling I was delayed due to the volume of checks they had going on that day. As some others have stated in other threads the delays and denies have noticeably gone up recently.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I got delayed once, and it double sucked because it was on a trade. They would not give me my new gun OR the one I was trading in until it was cleared.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    I have purchased many guns without ever being delayed, however on my last purchase i was delayed... they called in a couple of days and said i could pick it up. This also happened to be the first time i had ever needed the firearm in a hurry..

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    If you have a common name things can go sideways. I've had issues when I submitted the form without my ssn. I'd rather not supply it, but then I'd rather not have issues either.

I've worked in a gun shop for a few years during the Recession... Almost every time someone said they didn't want to give the "government" their SSN, they were delayed or denied. The one I knew that didn't had a REALLY off-name, but I couldn't remember it, like one in a million kind of name combination.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I would be interested in the name of the store, so I can add it to my list of places of where not to spend my money.

I was told Dicks is one. I think I have heard Rural King has the same policy. There is a RK employee on here that I dont recall the username but I'm sure he will chime in to correct me if I am wrong.

I just avoid big box stores unless they have something special I cant live without. I spend most of my $$ locally at neighborhood gun stores.

Blindside

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    Columbus
    It's at Rural King. But it isn't the store that causes the issue other than the no purchase without the proceed policy. What sucks is that I put the rifle on layaway while on sale and now if I get my money back I lose the restock fee and the sale price which means no rifle for me.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    It's at Rural King. But it isn't the store that causes the issue other than the no purchase without the proceed policy. What sucks is that I put the rifle on layaway while on sale and now if I get my money back I lose the restock fee and the sale price which means no rifle for me.

but remember after 30 days your 4473 is invalid and must be resubmitted, and guess what after 30 days with no response, you'll have to fill it out again! that's one thing rk wont tell you, after 29 days, if you haven't heard back from them, get a refund and go to your local gun shop, the 50 bucks you save on that bushmaster ar (or armscorp 38 or rock island 9mm 1911) will help keep a lgs in business and lgs's don't have corporate lawyers telling them to "hold the gun till you get approval"

I had a guy come to the store I work at and when I told him that after 30 days the paperwork was bad and had to be resubmitted he asked me "why didn't they tell me that?"., he got his money back from them, paid a little more from us, got delayed,...(you want to know a secret?....after 3 days we hadn't heard back from the fbi and we gave it to him anyway!)

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    Why? He wasn't delayed by the store. He was delayed by the NICS system.
    Because of their policy to complete a sale with only a proceed. If is delayed three days, the sale should be completed. I realize the delay is not the store's fault. Their policy should run in line with the NICS rules.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom