• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    I need a good degreaser. Something that can be bought/made in bulk...cheap. Something that can be heated to decrease degrease time. I've been doing A LOT of surplus guns lately and they are full of crap. I spend more time degreasing thnt finishing. I have (2) 6" x 6" x 40" tanks for dipping/cleaning. One is set up on a thermostatically controlled heating element. Any ideas?

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    One of the best degreaser I have seen is Simple Green. Works good and is non-toxic or flammable. When I worked for USPS that is what was used to clean the some of the processing equipment.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    At any of the Auto parts stores in town, you can get Simple Green MAX, which is a concentrated degreaser that comes in a pretty big bottle. It does the job pretty well on motorcycle parts and such.

Skoty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    When I worked in the shop and we would do piston swaps, axle swaps and what not we used Grease Police, sounds cheesy but worked really well for us. Its a concentrated solution you mix with water, we mixed it in our part cleaner tank. It might work for ya! Here is the link for ya. Grease Police - Degreaser

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    +1 for simple green.... i have used it numerous times to assist me in removing cosmoline.... when i degrese though i typically use acetone... not cheap and you cant heat it up or it will evaporate oh so quickly... i am sure you already know that though....

Might want to do some searching on the internet... when i got my solvent tank i was considering some eco friendly crap that was waterbased... 50 dollars for a 5 gallon bucket and the guy was going to meet me at knobb creek... everything i read about it said its about the best degreaser on the market and you dont have to pay near as much for proper disposal.... dont remember the name though, i got shipped out before i could get the stuff.... i have desiel fuel in my solvent tank now and it works well for general gunk build up but not for your applications.... let us know what you find and end up useing

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    you might try this stuff Mirachem Gun Cleaner Degreaser mirachem guncleaner/ degreaser scroll down on the page and click on the sample prompt. I sent for a sample a couple of weeks ago and they sent an entire gallon. Every one I have told about it has received a gallon. I haven't tried it yet, but you cant beat the price. it mixes down 10-1 for ultrasonic, but I don't remember the mix for a parts cleaning tank

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    What would be the differance in using kerosean vs. desiel? and will desiel fuel DEGREASE? seems to me that its petroleum bases as well and wouldnt degrease at all....

sorry for the:hijack:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    What would be the differance in using kerosean vs. desiel? and will desiel fuel DEGREASE? seems to me that its petroleum bases as well and wouldnt degrease at all....

sorry for the:hijack:

Kerosean is more refined than Desiel fuel, I have used Kerosean for years in the shop there is nothing better for getting that cooked on oil and grease off of engine blocks, trans, and about anything else you can think of. It works great is not highly flamible like gas (no fumes) and is not coustic. Does an amazing job and is or used to be cheap, If you filter it you can use it over and over too.:rockwoot:

Top Bottom