Deer processing. Do it yourself, or have it done?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Do you process your own Deer?

• Total voters

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    It not only saves money but you know what you are getting. The guy at the packing house doesn't care about what you are going to eat in the same way that you care about it. This is why home made sausage, salami and jerky often tastes better; the person who made it was going to eat it themselves. If you process your own deer then you can do it the way you like and if something looks/feels/smells a little odd then you aren't going to throw it in the grinder.

That's a good point that I guess I didn't really think about before. So how many people here live in a suburb neighborhood and process in their shed? Cause that'd probably be my only option.

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    Well, I gave it another shot this weekend at my hunting buddy's - cousin's house. He has his garage set up for processing and it went much smoother than last time. I think that I'm a new convert to doing it yourself.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Once you get it checked.

Once you get your deer checked, skin and quarter it. All you need is a knife and maybe a bone saw and you can do this from a tree in your yard. Take the hams, backstraps and ribs (if you process the ribs, some don't) and put them in the fridge. You can do the rest in your kitchen. I've seen guys get three properly quartered deer in a regular refrigerator.

jonny4523

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    Well I guess in my case, where I live in a neighborhood, I'm not sure where I'd put it. I wouldn't want to take it out to the country and just dump it somewhere in someone else's woods. If I chop it and put in the trash in today's society, I'd probably get arrested for suspicion of murder.

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    So if you process it yourself, what do you do with the carcass?

Whatever is left goes to the other side of the woods. Another guy that we know has a burn pile.

We pretty much processed ours right away, but I have heard that if it's not too warm - it's better to let them hang overnight. What do you think?

redneckpastor

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2009
    Absolutely! its cheaper and you know exactly what your getting. Its not that hard and if you get a few doing it, great fellowship! :twocents:

Top Bottom