Deer in my apartment complex!?!? Urban deer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    OK,

So I wake up early and realize I need to take a quick trip to the local Shop & Rob for some milk (no black cofee for me!) and when I return (about 5am) I notice the newspaper delivery van pulled over, and a larger (f250/2500 size 4x4) pickup with it's brights on about 2 driveways down. As I pass the 3rd driveway 4-5 whitetails run parralell to me and then across my bow about 15yards in front of me. I counted at least 4. They seemed startled that I was behind them when they ran in front of me and stopped (like a deer in ...). I hit my brights and they turned back and I pulled into the drive for my building.

Crazy! I do live a bout 3/4 mile from the St. Joe river but there are just subdivisons and small woods where I live. They came from the direction of an empty parking lot that is fenced in to the aparment complex.

I wonder if I interurpted some poaching?

When I got out of the truck I had looked around to make sure I wasn't going to be jumped by the deer! I did have the Ruger and I figured I could always say "It's comin' right for us!" ala Uncle Jimbo and have legit SD shoot.

Anyway seems a little too urban of an area for this.

Whadya all think?

MODS: This maybe shuld ahve went in the Breakroom. Tired and shocked when I posted it.....move if you wish

Last edited:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Urban deer are actually a problem in some areas. Because of the lack of hunters in urban areas deer populations can explode out of control. I would say what you saw was normal.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Urban deer are actually a problem in some areas. Because of the lack of hunters in urban areas deer populations can explode out of control. I would say what you saw was normal.

Yep^ That's about right.

About 4 years ago, I got a call from the Sheriffs' office called me because I'm on the county "road-kill list" for deer in Tippecanoe Co.

Dispatcher said the deer was IN Pheasant Run Apartment complex. I asked which road, and she said it was IN "apt. #...".

I asked her to clarify, and she said, "yes. it is INSIDE apt # ..."!

It seems the buck saw his reflection in a window and attacked. The window was at ground level, and the deer fell about 4-5' down to the living-room floor. It got up and found the bathroom. It entered the bathroom and somehow managed to kick the door closed behind itself.

Now trapped in the bathroom, the deer proceeded to kick everything in sight, breaking the toilet, and sink, as well as putting holes in the fiberglass tub, all the while "painting" the bathroom in it's own blood.

Local police enter the scene now, and put the deer down with a shot (still in the bathroom), through a slightly open door.

I came on scene just as the killing shot was fired.

My brother was with me for help. We walked into the apartment and the manager told us, "Do NOT pick it up and drag it through the halls" while it was still letting blood.

The apartment maintenance man pulled a razor knife and cut a giant area out of the living room carpet, and told us to take it out on that, to prevent any more mess than necessary.

When we left, the apartment looked like a murder scene. There was a blood spot on the living room floor approx. 2 feet in diameter. The bathroom had blood splattered on all four walls, and had to be 5' up each wall.

The bright side is, the apartment was empty. The sad part, for the apartment complex, was that the manager said a cleaning crew had locked the doors on that very apartment just 45 minutes prior. They had JUST finished cleaning that apt. and it was JUST deemed ready for new tenants.

They had a HUGE mess when we left! But I still got about 50 lbs of meat!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    When I use to live in Ohio I'd frequent bars in downtown Cleveland. There's nothing like stumbling to your car, fumbling the keys at 3am getting in your car and a deer standing in front of your car in a parking garage.
    Yes urban deer are a serious problem. Back in Northeast Ohio they sent out 50 snipers for 2 nights every year, but yeah... doesn't really solve any problems. At least after they killed the deer during that ethnic cleansing they sent the meat to homeless shelters.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Yep^ That's about right.

About 4 years ago, I got a call from the Sheriffs' office called me because I'm on the county "road-kill list" for deer in Tippecanoe Co.

Dispatcher said the deer was IN Pheasant Run Apartment complex. I asked which road, and she said it was IN "apt. #...".

I asked her to clarify, and she said, "yes. it is INSIDE apt # ..."!

It seems the buck saw his reflection in a window and attacked. The window was at ground level, and the deer fell about 4-5' down to the living-room floor. It got up and found the bathroom. It entered the bathroom and somehow managed to kick the door closed behind itself.

Now trapped in the bathroom, the deer proceeded to kick everything in sight, breaking the toilet, and sink, as well as putting holes in the fiberglass tub, all the while "painting" the bathroom in it's own blood.

Local police enter the scene now, and put the deer down with a shot (still in the bathroom), through a slightly open door.

I came on scene just as the killing shot was fired.

My brother was with me for help. We walked into the apartment and the manager told us, "Do NOT pick it up and drag it through the halls" while it was still letting blood.

The apartment maintenance man pulled a razor knife and cut a giant area out of the living room carpet, and told us to take it out on that, to prevent any more mess than necessary.

When we left, the apartment looked like a murder scene. There was a blood spot on the living room floor approx. 2 feet in diameter. The bathroom had blood splattered on all four walls, and had to be 5' up each wall.

The bright side is, the apartment was empty. The sad part, for the apartment complex, was that the manager said a cleaning crew had locked the doors on that very apartment just 45 minutes prior. They had JUST finished cleaning that apt. and it was JUST deemed ready for new tenants.

They had a HUGE mess when we left! But I still got about 50 lbs of meat!

I'm sorry that's the funniest thing I've ever heard. However; it, Makes me nervous about my ground level apartment.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Oh yeah. A few years back, the alarm summoned the police to a break-in in the middle of the night at a school my daughter attended.
    Deer. Crashed right through a glass door and got disoriented/trapped in the hallways.
    Cops called animal control, animal control alerted DNR and while they tried to corral the thing, it panicked and crashed right out another way.

Top Bottom