• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    We talk about when we can fire and when we cannot. Faced with an armed violent attacker, the moment we pause may be the moment an attacker withdraws only to continue the fight from a distance.

This is an example. The attacker enters the store and the clerk has him at gun point before the attacker has the gun above a low hold. The clerk does not fire and allows him to withdraw. The attacker only withdraws in order to continue the fight on his terms:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbGobqCjt2I&feature=related"]Let him go?[/ame]

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    The clerk was lucky that he didn't pay with his life for the second chance he gave to the bad guy.

And, what planet is that customer from? She just kept on walking through the gunfire. I would've crapped my pants and ran, or maybe duck, or maybe crawl... but something!

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    If you draw, it's time to get busy! Front sight, press...repeat as necessary!

I agree. If some one finds out I have a gun in that situation, I've already decided they are a significant threat and I'm ready to shoot to stop the threat. They better get real complacent and unarmed faster than I can get my gun out and shoot them if they don't want shot because I've already evaluated the situation if I start to draw.

quiggly

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2008
    Noblesville
    So the question is, do you pull the trigger? Bad guy realizes you have the drop on him and starts to back away.

Then what if the clerk would have put two in him?

Not sure how I would react to this. What would you do?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Bad guy had gun OUT and at low ready, the clerk had his gun out and on target.

If the bad guy didn't obey my command to drop his weapon, I would have shot him.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I got a kick out of the announcer saying that the clerk isn't expected to get charged. In Milwaukee it is illegal to carry a knife, much less a firearm.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Bad guy had gun OUT and at low ready, the clerk had his gun out and on target.

If the bad guy didn't obey my command to drop his weapon, I would have shot him.

Well, my plan is to shoot in that circumstance. Whether I actually would? That, we will only learn if and when I'm ever in that circumstance. (And, that being the case, let's hope I never do find out.)

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    I have been taught, and I have taught my wife, You only pull a gun when you are going to fire it!

You never ever pull it out unless you are going to use it! Period!

If you are in fear for your life, you neutralize that threat!
    Otherwise leave it in the holster.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    I have been taught, and I have taught my wife, You only pull a gun when you are going to fire it!

I understand this line of thinking, to a point.

I can think of a few scenerios that I might draw my gun and not need to fire it.

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.

That is exactly the same thing my father drilled into me from the day he started teaching me to shoot. Anyone that draws their weapon hoping that just the sight of a gun will awe and cower a BG is a fool.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I understand this line of thinking, to a point.

I can think of a few scenerios that I might draw my gun and not need to fire it.
    :+1:
    Under the right circumstances, if my leveled barrel and loud commands can keep me from taking a life, I will.

Call me a fool, I guess.:):

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    That is exactly the same thing my father drilled into me from the day he started teaching me to shoot. Anyone that draws their weapon hoping that just the sight of a gun will awe and cower a BG is a fool.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with your father. Hoping that drawing the gun will deter the BG without anyone being killed is human. Counting on it is foolish.

Remember that per most of the studies of armed self defense, they are ended without a shot being fired.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    WOW..
    That customer in the green coat is completely unaware of what happened.

I guess I'm paranoid but I'm constanlty looking at everyone and their hands when I'm in a store and I tend to shop "along the walls" of the store so that my back is aganst the wall so I only have to worry about what is in front of me. Makes for an interested time at the store especially to get things. =)

quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    Eastern In.
    I'm afraid I'm going to have to disagree with your father. Hoping that drawing the gun will deter the BG without anyone being killed is human. Counting on it is foolish.

Remember that per most of the studies of armed self defense, they are ended without a shot being fired.

If you are in a situation where you need to draw your weapon, but do so in the hope you don't have to use it, you are fooling yourself. If the situation is bad enough for you to draw, you had best be prepared to shoot.

Top Bottom