Oct 8, 2023
    Fort Wayne

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    This is killing me. You have saddled my conscience with a great moral dilemma that I've now been agonizing about for two days, lol.

That's a great deal, and I don't have a 686 yet. On the other hand, I don't really need another .357 and it'll likely spend most of the time sitting in the safe. I currently have a GP100 and a Model 66-4, both 4", and while they're both great shooters, I spend a lot more time with the snubs since I actually carry them. A 6" barrel would be something different, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it. I don't hunt much anymore, and even if I did it wouldn't be with a handgun. I think it could be fun for plinking steel at longer ranges, but that's about the only application I can come up with, and it's not like I can't do that with either of the 4" guns that I already own.

The gun budget would currently accommodate it, but I'm wanting one of those new Lipsey's 642s, and I'll carry the crap out of that one. I'm on the call list at a local dealer but I have no idea when they'll actually be available. Rumor is the end of February, but we all know how that goes in real life. Could be August or December before I actually see one.

Do I jump on this now and blow the gun budget on a really nice gun with limited utility, risking not having the money when the J-Frames ship, or do I wait and make sure I have the cash on hand to snag the gun that I'll actually use daily? :dunno:

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    This is killing me. You have saddled my conscience with a great moral dilemma that I've now been agonizing about for two days, lol.

That's a great deal, and I don't have a 686 yet. On the other hand, I don't really need another .357 and it'll likely spend most of the time sitting in the safe. I currently have a GP100 and a Model 66-4, both 4", and while they're both great shooters, I spend a lot more time with the snubs since I actually carry them. A 6" barrel would be something different, but I'm not sure how much I'd actually use it. I don't hunt much anymore, and even if I did it wouldn't be with a handgun. I think it could be fun for plinking steel at longer ranges, but that's about the only application I can come up with, and it's not like I can't do that with either of the 4" guns that I already own.

The gun budget would currently accommodate it, but I'm wanting one of those new Lipsey's 642s, and I'll carry the crap out of that one. I'm on the call list at a local dealer but I have no idea when they'll actually be available. Rumor is the end of February, but we all know how that goes in real life. Could be August or December before I actually see one.

Do I jump on this now and blow the gun budget on a really nice gun with limited utility, risking not having the money when the J-Frames ship, or do I wait and make sure I have the cash on hand to snag the gun that I'll actually use daily? :dunno:
    Thats a Sophie's choice right there.. just get both! Just money the govt prints it everyday lol

Cavman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 2, 2009
    Unfortunately, I'm not the govt, and they don't print it for me. In fact, every time they print more, the little I've got becomes worth a little bit less! :(
    Seems like ya better save for the one ya really want. The 686s is a smoking deal but ya can always find a good used one of those down the road

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Seems like ya better save for the one ya really want. The 686s is a smoking deal but ya can always find a good used one of those down the road
    Yeah, that's the way I'm leaning. The other thought I've had is that if I keep saving and it does take a few months for the J-frames to show up, maybe I can snag a 632 to go with the 642!

Top Bottom