• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My wife and I have been offered a discounted price to do the 13 week Dave Ramsey course. I dont know a lot about it right now, as our preacher mentioned it, but had to leave shortly after mentioning it.

Just wanting to know what you all think of him?

-MColford

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I understand using it is what makes it useful..... Just dont wanna waste 13 weeks taking it, only to find I have wasted my time on a program that wont work.

-MColford

snowrs

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2011
    Evansville
    It does work, my wife and I are now just down to our house payment, from 3 credit cards, student loans, furniture loans, 2 car payments, We also now have 6 months in emergency fund, and have not used a credit card in 3 years.

GTM

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    Bloomington +/- 20 miles
    A cheaper alternative would be to purchase his book "The Total Money Makeover" and listen to his free podcasts. In general, though, his material is all solid and common-sense, which he admits..."Giving you the same financial advice your grandmother would, only we keep our teeth in" is one of his tag-lines for his radio show.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are you in debt up to your eyeballs? Can't manage your money? No family budget? Don't know where to start?

If yes, then his crash course can get you pointed in the right direction. You have to commit to it, though. Nothing fixes itself.

If you are decent with your money already, and just want to get better, then read his book and listen to his shows.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I hosted the class three different times at our church in Texas. If you live your life payment to payment, and are not able to save/invest at least 10% of your income, you will likely benefit from this course. Taking the course gives you the knowledge and tools, you will still need to have the courage and discipline to make the right choices. I would say that about 3/4 of the participants have greatly succeded in mastering their finances, even in this slow economy.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Dave Ramsey's class proves common sense is not common I agree with about 95 percent of what he says.

I still use a credit card but only as a protector when buying stuff online or traveling. I don't make any purchases until I have the cash saved up first and then pay the entire bill when it comes.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Having listened to his radio broadcast for quite some time now, I have picked up on the gist of what he stands for and how he views things. I have never read his book or attended his class, but he has still helped us and because of his inspiration, my wife and I are down to a mortgage payment on a modest home and a car payment.

I know I will probably get flamed for saying this, but tithing to the church is also something that Dave Ramsey and I both will tell you works. We have been avid tithers for well over a decade. I have been unemployed now for almost 11 months--not due to lack of effort mind you--and we have not missed a single payment. Just about the time the money would look scarce, we have been provided for! I will tell you that the Big Guy does honor His promises. Tithing is more than just math my friend. Nuff said there...

I wish you the very best in your endeavor. I also pray that somehow these words have helped.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Really?!

I am surprised all the time by the amount of Debt most People live with...

Pay off your Debt!
    If you do not have that much Cash in the Bank, Credit Union, stuffed in a an old sock, or whatever you do to store Money, then do NOT get a loan or line of Credit for whatever...

Does that about sum it up...

Psssttt...
    Credit and Credit Cards are not the Devil, as long as you can pay them off...

Last edited:

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Are you in debt up to your eyeballs? Can't manage your money? No family budget? Don't know where to start?

If yes, then his crash course can get you pointed in the right direction. You have to commit to it, though. Nothing fixes itself.

If you are decent with your money already, and just want to get better, then read his book and listen to his shows.

I agree with ^^^^^

Just working on mortgage now, but down from car payments, cc's and a personal loan. I got stuck with a bunch of crap as part of divorce and the soon to be ex filing bankruptcy. I needed a support structure more than anything. The radio show, podcasts and book was enough for me.

If you just stay diligent and disciplined with the budget process, you'll be able to use the show to stay motivated. :twocents:

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Heck yeah I recommend him! Take that course it will be worth it and is very motivational. You will actually get excited about your finances not upset about them.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The class isn't all about learning how to manage your finances.

It's also about learning yourself and your spouse and how to work TOGETHER... This'll work on more than just finances.

-J-

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I also recommend listening to his podcast on a regular basis because it acts as regular positive reinforcement. It's not enough to just read the book or take the course and be off on your own. It's helpful to keep hearing success story after success story as you work your way out of the red. You'll start saying "Man, it's only five more months before I can call in and yell 'FREEDOM!'" And you will, too.

cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    +1000 for Dave Ramsey. If you & your wife are on the same page I would recommend his books & listening to the radio/podcasts. You can catch his books on sale all of the time for $10 each. he just had a special out for several books & budget software for $49. I have not had a credit card since 2001, I pay cash for everything. I have a paypal debit card(I know paypal the devil) that get's me 1% back on all purchases(transfers directly from checking account, up to a $1000). I made $450 last year just purchasing the usual.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    It is the same thing the Congress needs to learn to do. Stop Spending money you don't have. Live within your means.

Top Bottom