• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Brother continues to tell me about problems with credit cards. If the fuel costs don't decline we will see significant issues with credit cards that have a larger percentage of holders being maxed out. (within 10% of credit limit)

Rising fuel prices and food costs are causing more and more people to increase the balances on credit cards. He said they have seen a 500% increase in customers reaching the 90% of credit limit in the last month. They have seen a 1,500% increase in customers in the 50% to 75% of credit limit since the first of the year. He also said almost 30% of all card holders are paying within 10% of the minimum monthly payment for the bill. That is up 750% from just last year.

They had to add additional printers/and stuffers to send out mailings for reduction in credit limits for huge numbers of customers. These printers are running three shifts per day saying credit limts have been reduced or frozen.

The are also reducing customers credit limits on customer who have spare accounts with no balance. Most of these card holders are having letters sent to them stating the zero balance credit card is having the balance lowered to $500. Credit card companies are doing this to reduce future debt load of persons that will load it up when the others get almost full.

He is predicting the serious problems by the end of the third quarter with the major credit card companies if they don't slow down the customers racking up almost unpayable debt.

Has anyone else seen anything in the news about these trends or is it just the company he works at.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I know alot of folks that tend to use their credit cards, now that their small amounts of disposable income must now be used for essentials. I dont think its necessarily fuel (though it may be that for the people with big SUVs :D), but definitly things that they dont really need. No disposable income=increased credit card usage to replace said disposable income.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I think we're already at record levels of credit debt in this country right now. With the sagging economy and high gas/food prices, it's bound to get worse.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Talked with him again today. He said many credit card companies are crunching credit reports like never done before. If you have high balances and are making low payments - your credit card is toast. All you will have is just what your existing balance is. As you pay it down there is a good chance they will lower the credit limit as you pay it down.

:)

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Still more bad news for his company

They have seen a hugh increase in can't pay customers in the last month. He's not sure if they can't pay or just won't pay. These people use to make the minimum pay, but now have stopped.

He said they are begging these customers to post date an over the phone check and get anything from these people. He is very nervous about the surge in these type of customers. Its something they are having meetings about everyday. He says its the crack in the dam and the finger is not stopping the flow........

The days of easy credit are going to be a memory in the near future.

He also said watch for revised credit agreements from your credit card companies in the mail. If you get one, read it front to back. If you don't like the changes to fees and rates for late payment, write them to say you don't accept the change ( if allowed) You might be able to keep from having those huge rates piled on you if times get bad.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    I believe we are in for some very tough times-not only in this Country, but globally.

It`s going to be a different version of TSHTF than most imagine or are prepared for. That`s always the way it is-never a beat you over the head kind of thing-always much more subtle than you think it will be.

Be prepared, it`s coming, and it can`t be turned back.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    I have no credit cards, I do cash only. It sucks and is a pain in the ass but I have no credit card bills.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    :+1:

I think we only have one left to get paid off. Finally.
    Now... on to those student loans... *$&%&@^

I bet when you took those student loans out you weren`t $&%&@^

Sorry for being so touchy, but I remember a campaign years back for an Indiana Secretery of State-she blew off HER student loans. Didn`t feel obligated to pay them back, and the voters in Indiana still felt compelled to vote her into office. I have a sore spot still about that. The taxpayers, i.e. ME, have to pay that stuff back-pisses me off.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

Sorry for being so touchy, but I remember a campaign years back for an Indiana Secretery of State-she blew off HER student loans. Didn`t feel obligated to pay them back, and the voters in Indiana still felt compelled to vote her into office. I have a sore spot still about that. The taxpayers, i.e. ME, have to pay that stuff back-pisses me off.
    I think it's admirable that Pami is saying she does have to pay them back and certainly nothing to be touchy about to her. With respect, might I suggest saving your completely appropriate ire for deadbeats like the SecState you mentioned? Good for you, Pami. They're a pain in the arse to pay off, but it sure feels good to get to that last payment. :cheers:

Blessings,
    B

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy

I'm pretty sure Pami intends to pay off her student loans. Comparing her to someone who didn't pay her obligations is an irresponsible stretch.

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    I'm pretty sure Pami intends to pay off her student loans. Comparing her to someone who didn't pay her obligations is an irresponsible stretch.

Awwww-irresponsible????? I don`t think so. Sorry if I touched a nerve. I seriously never meant any disrespect..........

I was only stating an opinion-a recollection of someone else, touched off by her disdane for the debt owed on her student loan, and the attitude behind it.

Your defense of her is admirable, however misguided and unnecessary.

Glad to hear though, that you`re "pretty sure" that she`s gonna pay.

:n00b:

hunter480

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Coatesville, In.
    Hunter480, Stuff it.

Owing $75,000 to anyone is enough to make you pissed off. Whether you intend to pay it back or not.

What`s your problem?

For starters, no one made anyone take a loan out. Kind of sucks to have to be a responsible adult and pay back what you borrowed huh?

Past that, dunno what your issue is with me, but you`re outta line pal. Responsible, reasonable, ADULTS, pay back what they owe, pissed off or not.

So no, don`t think I`ll stuff it, but thanks for the thought.

:):

Royal-1

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Noblesville
    Back on TOPIC! :welcome:

Check out Survival Blog for today Monday June 23 2008.

Two good reads:
    Two Trillion Dollar Reduction In Credit Card Lines Coming Up

Tomorrow's Headlines? -- A Nationwide Banking Panic

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Hey just an update on the credit card issue

Brother says it continues to get worse and it will effect xmas shopping.

He stated rising fuel and food prices have them panicing. This is unsecured debt

The days of easy credit will come crashing down very soon....He also explained to me, many overseas investors purchase "lots" of credit debt as a means of higher yield investments.

Justus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 21, 2008
    not in Indy
    The days of easy credit will come crashing down very soon....He also explained to me, many overseas investors purchase "lots" of credit debt as a means of higher yield investments.

That seems to be the general consensus.

I turned my card balances over to a mediator after the rates
    went way up for no reason. They locked in the rates at around 9%.
    The companies that I had the cards with changed hands several times
    and took my low interest rates up into the +20% range.

I now have no cards and will never have another.

Top Bottom