• wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    EDC/Home Defense/target shooting.

The P10 series fits my needs. I went back to basics and made the decision a couple of years ago that striker fired polymer pistols without external safeties is the way I'm going for my defensive pistols. I don't knock anyone else's decision on what is right for them, but this was my decision. No external safety to fail, no heavy first shot to deal with, the gun is reasonably light, reasonably affordable and if I'm in a defensive shooting and my gun gets taken by the police, it's NBD because I have a spare that's identical. I enjoy hammer fired guns at the range, but I'll keep carrying my P10c. Just my :twocents:, take it for what it's worth.

epeery

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2018
    Columbus
    After thinking it through and CM bringing sense to the thought process the main concern was a lemon. However, you would figure that out on the 1st range visit or close to it.

Ruger has great customer service I've never had a problem with them.

I'm now torn between the P10F and the P09. I have the money for one so I need some opinions on which one you all would buy if you had to choose just one.

Personally I'd probably go with the P09, but that's because I LIKE hammers and safeties. A lot of personal preference as pointed out by wtburnette above.

Last edited:

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    Yes, tip of the beaver tail rubbing as I shoot. I'm still pretty new to pistols, so I may be doing something wrong with my grip that's letting the gun move too much. I love the Rami, so if nothing else I may just put a strip of athletic tape on my hand when I practice. First world problem I guess, I've got a gun I like, a place to shoot, and enough ammo to do so.

Epeery; The gun should not be rocking that much in your hand, the rami is small I understand. Your wrists should be somewhat rigid and then the recoil is absorbed partially by your forearms.
    Chris Sanjong explains it fairly well in his video, "How do you hold a pistol" There are others out there that have videos like this but I found this one quickly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gn9QD1B-8CM

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    IMO the Phantom is the finest polymer gun you can get. It has all the ergos of a steel CZ. They clean up nicely in shoot in very well. There are several guys that frequent the CZickness thread who have what I call Super Phantoms. They are fully Cajunized and well shot in. They are on a level all their own. If you shoot one you will have to have one.

Birds Away,
    Sounds like a great project to me. These Phantoms are pretty affordable as it is. Is it a big investment to get them to Super Phantom status?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Personally I'd probably go with the P09, but that's because I LIKE hammers and safeties. A lot of personal preference as pointed out by wtburnette above.

Exactly. A personal choice is just that, personal. What I choose for my circumstances may not be right for someone else. There isn't necessarily a right or wrong to this. Whatever floats your boat. The caveat I'll add is, as long as you train with your EDC. Whether that's training classes, hitting the range, or whatever makes you comfortable that you can use the gun if needed.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Birds Away,
    Sounds like a great project to me. These Phantoms are pretty affordable as it is. Is it a big investment to get them to Super Phantom status?

You can get a Pro Package from CGW in the mid $200s, there are some additional springs and odds and ends. The accurized bushing is between $60-$70 depending on which one you like. But some people don't bother with the bushing. Many people upgrade the sights which will cost whatever the ones you like cost. I prefer a steel trigger to the plastic one on the Phantom but that will require the person you have doing the work knowing how to do that. Personally, I tell the Wizard what I want done and he tells me what it will cost. Easy, peasy.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Exactly. A personal choice is just that, personal. What I choose for my circumstances may not be right for someone else. There isn't necessarily a right or wrong to this. Whatever floats your boat. The caveat I'll add is, as long as you train with your EDC. Whether that's training classes, hitting the range, or whatever makes you comfortable that you can use the gun if needed.

In a choice between a P-10, a P-09 and a Phantom there is no wrong answer. Any of the three will do what you want and do it very well. I gave the answer as what would I choose. I would choose the Phantom. Of the two choices he listed I would choose the P10 for a carry gun and the P09 for a range or home defense gun.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    In a choice between a P-10, a P-09 and a Phantom there is no wrong answer. Any of the three will do what you want and do it very well. I gave the answer as what would I choose. I would choose the Phantom. Of the two choices he listed I would choose the P10 for a carry gun and the P09 for a range or home defense gun.

Yep, good choices... :yesway:

Darthur

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2016
    Bargersville
    I posted this up in the CZickness thread and there was no responses. Unless I'm overlooking a new version I'd say it's time to buy a Phantom now if you're thinking about it.
    I think your right they are being discontinued.

Birds Away thanks for the info. Does not sound too bad to spice it up.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    But are they replacing it with a 'new and improved' model?

Our version of new and improved:

9cf17b9f07009612a22cd1b655183a60.jpg

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    I will say that a stock Phantom doesn't make one want to buy one. The trigger is a little gritty and it isn't necessarily one that will win a person over. Shooting a Phantom that has been loved on by the Wizard is a totally different experience.

Top Bottom