• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    When my niece and boyfriend came up to visit. We went through around 1000rds of ammunition. 22lr, 9mm, 38 special, 10mm, 45acp, and 44mag. 8 different handguns were used so they could get a feel of what they liked. Her boyfriend won the family over he was a good guy. Plus his favorites were the Springfield Ronin 45acp, and the old Taurus Model 44 44 magnum. Niece liked the TX22 the best and the Canik TP9DA over the CZ P10F. For the two 9mm handguns I have on hand. We all enjoyed the visit.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    When my niece and boyfriend came up to visit. We went through around 1000rds of ammunition. 22lr, 9mm, 38 special, 10mm, 45acp, and 44mag. 8 different handguns were used so they could get a feel of what they liked. Her boyfriend won the family over he was a good guy. Plus his favorites were the Springfield Ronin 45acp, and the old Taurus Model 44 44 magnum. Niece liked the TX22 the best and the Canik TP9DA over the CZ P10F. For the two 9mm handguns I have on hand. We all enjoyed the visit.
    Great use of ammo and an afternoon!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Another great way to cut back on ammo use. So I pack up some handguns in TSA metal cases and a 94 Winchester in .30-30 for a morning at the range. I pack up my range bag with 100-.357,150-45 acp and a box of .30-30. Or so I thought. I get to the range, open up the hatch of my SUV and bang - really no bang - I had left the two cases with the handguns sitting on top of my safe. I forgot to pack the two cases. All I had was the Winchester 94. So there, I forgot to pack all my firearms and saved a couple of hundred rounds of ammo! I shot my 20 rounds in the Model 94, called it a day, laughed, and went home to dinner. LOL!!!

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    i got myself an authentic m1863 Springfield rifled musket, you can still get stuff for those fairly easily.

Thing is a hoot to shoot. Cost a lot, but it’s worth it.

Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    I've always been more of a collector and less of a shooter (less than 5k a year of all calibers). Due to past ammo shortages and the "never again" attitude, I actually have more ammo now than I have ever had in past years. So my shooting habits haven't really changed that much, but if availability doesn't improve in the next couple of years I will feel the pinch.

Magyars

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Delaware County Freehold
    I occasionally set up a "course" for us and the neighbors.
    I call it Apocalypse Rd.
    Today we shot balloons. Playing cards and clay pigeons.
    None of us shot more than a box of ammo a piece.

TheGhostRider

Watching from a distance…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    One 2 hour trip to the indoor range=
    approximately $340.
    $20 an hour to shoot and a dollar per round. Approximately 300 rounds.

I bought an Edgun Leshiy 2.0 REPR in .22 and an air compressor to go with it.
    Yesterday I walked into Walmart and left with 2500 rounds of Crosman premier hollowpoints. Six bucks for 500 rounds!
    Today I’m stacking pellets at 25 yards.
    1st pcp gun… I can honestly say I’ve been missing out.

The initial investment in the air rifle and compressor was painful.
    Been selling off my Colt collection and other powder burners.
    Been having more damn fun than I can remember.
    In the end… I can maintain some of my skills, have fun and not go bankrupt.
    And I can also say that I would not want to be on the receiving end of the Leshiy!

Kneedeep87

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2021
    Fort wayne
    I am sticking to basic slow ammo use training. Ie draw shoot holster for pistol, ready position raise shoot back to ready for rifle. This lowers the per session round count dramatically while still getting useful training.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    approximately $340.

Yesterday I walked into Walmart and left with 2500 rounds of Crosman premier hollowpoints. Six bucks for 500 rounds!

And I can also say that I would not want to be on the receiving end of the Leshiy!
    Many years ago (my how time flies) I used to shoot mostly local international air pistol matches. For various reasons I hadn't shot my air pistols, although I have a decent air gun range in the basement. A couple of days ago, I was straightening up the basement after some major projects. After getting the range area in shape, I pulled out my FWB 65 and shot 20 shots. I had forgotten just how much fun it is! I still shoot my .22 and centerfire pistols about once a week, but not as many rounds down range as before COVID.

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    When you spend range time helping out new family shooters, the amount of ammo you used sure seems insignificant. The satisfaction they received by trying out all different guns was priceless! Plus the memories you all shared will carry on also. I know our family range times are equally as fun, especially when you introduce someone to something new they might never have had a chance to shoot!

Next you'll have to bring them back for a long-gun day...

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    approximately $340.

Since last Friday, I've bought 4 air guns:
    - 1 rifle
    - 3 pistols
    Three of them are German made.
    It's cost me 2 cents each pellet this week in the 2 days I went to the range.
    I've go some good pellets that cost me 7 cents each, but I haven't had a chance to use them yet.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I used to shoot my German Beeman R7 air rifle at the 50ft indoor range in Muncie some years ago. I could shoot the R7 better than I could most 22lr rifles . I ought to end it's hiatus and start shooting it again.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    +1 on the airguns for some cheap trigger time. And if we're just putting holes in paper, getting the dope @ 100yds with a 177 rifle can be very challenging. Plus added bonus of not pissing off the neighbors with a long shooting session.

Lefty Red

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2021
    SEMO
    Ammo drought and new shoulder this year has really hit my range time.

I bought a Laser Academy setup by Mantis and used it for rehab on my new shoulder, practice draws and presentation to build strength in my new shoulder and my hands. Use it four to five times a week.

I also started back shooting 22s. Bought me a MarkIV and TX22.

A month ago a got a membership to a range in the city. I visit is on Sundays. Still limited to shooting about 150 rounds of centerfire due to fatigue and healing, but nice to get out.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Another great way to cut back on ammo use. So I pack up some handguns in TSA metal cases and a 94 Winchester in .30-30 for a morning at the range. I pack up my range bag with 100-.357,150-45 acp and a box of .30-30. Or so I thought. I get to the range, open up the hatch of my SUV and bang - really no bang - I had left the two cases with the handguns sitting on top of my safe. I forgot to pack the two cases. All I had was the Winchester 94. So there, I forgot to pack all my firearms and saved a couple of hundred rounds of ammo! I shot my 20 rounds in the Model 94, called it a day, laughed, and went home to dinner. LOL!!!
    I did the same thing about two months ago. Got to the DNR range where I shoot which is about 45 minute drive from the house. Got to the range and started setting up. Unloaded all the rifles(some of which were on their maiden voyage) and equipment at the shooting bench. Looked around and thought " where is my ammo, I know I set it out to bring?" Went back to the truck and... no ammo, then it dawned on me. "hey idiot, you left it setting on the bench in the mini-barn". Well darn. I looked through my range bag and found some 22 shorts in there that I had been carrying around for about two years. So I made the best of things and shot those. Like you I shot those and called it a day and laughed. Went home and drownded my sorrows in a cheeseburger. So no... you are not the only one who has forgot their ammo. LOL!!!

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I used to shoot my German Beeman R7 air rifle at the 50ft indoor range in Muncie some years ago. I could shoot the R7 better than I could most 22lr rifles . I ought to end it's hiatus and start shooting it again.
    +1 on the airguns for some cheap trigger time. And if we're just putting holes in paper, getting the dope @ 100yds with a 177 rifle can be very challenging. Plus added bonus of not pissing off the neighbors with a long shooting session.
    I'm just starting my journey of air guns b/c of curiosity, retirement & ammo prices.
    Last week I saw an ad on INGO for a German Weihrauch HW45 .22 caliber break-barrel spring-piston air pistol that was a real shooter by my standards for pistol groups: 1.75" circles at 21' w/o scope & maybe 30' if target colors are right, haha!

I enjoyed it so much that this week I bought a Weihrauch HW35E .177 caliber break-barrel spring-loaded air rifle.
    That led to picking up 2 more pistols: a Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber pistol & an Air Venturi V10 .177 Match.
    Can't wait to get all 3 to the range
    but,
    reoccurring health issues are keeping me homebound for at least 1-2 weeks: bummer!
    New toys & can't go outside to play, haha!

box & left side cropped & portrait.jpg left side.jpg left side cropped & portrait.jpg Diana Performance LP8 Magnum. .177.jpg

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Ammo drought and new shoulder this year has really hit my range time.

I bought a Laser Academy setup by Mantis and used it for rehab on my new shoulder, practice draws and presentation to build strength in my new shoulder and my hands. Use it four to five times a week.

I also started back shooting 22s. Bought me a MarkIV and TX22.

A month ago a got a membership to a range in the city. I visit is on Sundays. Still limited to shooting about 150 rounds of centerfire due to fatigue and healing, but nice to get out.
    I hear you about the fatigue.
    Last summer I would go to the range for 4-5 hrs, but after 2 hrs. I'm done this summer due to needing heart valve work done, hopefully get some energy back!

You picking out the Mark 4 & TX22, which are fine choices.
    I've had 4-5 Mark 4s but not the TX22, but I've shot 2-3 belonging to friends.
    I presently have a Mark 3 w/optic that will out-shoot guns costing 2x more & as good as those costing 4x more.

HCALREF

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2017
    Hendricks County
    Go back 30 years when I hand loaded and components were cheap. Had range in my back yard. I shot 5000 to 10000 rds per year. With range cost and ammo cost, I now shoot about 500 rds per years.

hoglegs

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 21, 2017
    NWI
    I'm just starting my journey of air guns b/c of curiosity, retirement & ammo prices.
    Last week I saw an ad on INGO for a German Weihrauch HW45 .22 caliber break-barrel spring-piston air pistol that was a real shooter by my standards for pistol groups: 1.75" circles at 21' w/o scope & maybe 30' if target colors are right, haha!

I enjoyed it so much that this week I bought a Weihrauch HW35E .177 caliber break-barrel spring-loaded air rifle.
    That led to picking up 2 more pistols: a Diana LP8 Magnum .177 caliber pistol & an Air Venturi V10 .177 Match.
    Can't wait to get all 3 to the range
    but,
    reoccurring health issues are keeping me homebound for at least 1-2 weeks: bummer!
    New toys & can't go outside to play, haha!

View attachment 164726 View attachment 164727 View attachment 164728 View attachment 164729
    Thats a nice line-up you've got going, love the simplicity of springers, but they sure were tough on optics! I'm hooked on pcp's now, (no pun intended lol) with a good moderator all you hear is the pellet flying downrange. Thinking of a Diana stormrider for some cheap fun

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Go back 30 years when I hand loaded and components were cheap. Had range in my back yard. I shot 5000 to 10000 rds per year. With range cost and ammo cost, I now shoot about 500 rds per years.
    I wish I'd kept records of rds per month/year when I got back into shooting 4.5 yrs ago.
    In April 2020 when I started keeping records of rds shot:
    - 27,620 rds in April - December 2020
    - 3070 rds per month 2020
    In 2021 so far I've shot:
    - 11,370 rds in 9 months of 2021 (Jan - Sept)
    - 1265 rds per month of 2021

In 2020 I had a high of 5500 rds in May with 5 months of lows around 2000 rds.
    In 2021 I had a high of 2500 rds in March with 3 month of lows less than 550 rds.

I have bought no ammo since Covid & politics raised prices except for $100ish.

Top Bottom