• ...and so much more!
  • repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    For those who have watched, "We Were Soldiers", or read the book, "We Were Soldiers...and young once" then you know CSM Plumley. He recently went into Hospice care and passed away this morning. Those that have not heard of him, He was involved in WWII, Korea, AND Vietnam. Has the CIB (Combat Infantry Badge) with 2 stars (meaning 3 WARS). There are more decorations then I would be able to list here, but they are here in this story. Our world is a sadder place.
    BAMF of Forever – CSM Basil Plumley | Rhino Den | Military Stories, MMA News, Army, Air Force, Marines, Navy

:patriot:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    CSM Plumley was an amazing man. Would that we had more like him.

Well, since I am still in, I know we have some that are a bit in his likeness, but hard to say since past conflicts and new ones are never the same. We have troops that have been in and out of Iraq and Afghanistan (which is considered ONE war) numerous times. Although, he was definitely a lead from the front kind of leader. He will be missed, and I am sure that there are many, MANY fine troops with flags of their own at half mast for his passing.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    This man spent a lifetime defending our country in some of the worst conflicts and situations any soldier could be put into and came back for more. RIP...

ultraspec

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 5, 2010
    I was literally just reading some stuff about him last week after I watched the movie for like the 15th time. I had no idea he was in bad shape though as I found nothing about it.

Rip CSM Plumley:patriot:

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    We have lost a great warrior, but our nation is a stronger and safer place, not only for his actions, but also because of all those he trained and the influence they had on the following generations of soldiers.

GARRYOWEN Command Sergeant Major!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I was just talking about him with a vietnam veteran on Sunday. We didn't know if he was still alive or not, but now ... RIP.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Yes, he had recently went into hospice care at the beginning of the month. I know him and LTG (ret) Hal Moore still make it a point to chat with some of our new troops. It was sad to hear the passing of the legend. Seen it on one page, and hoped it was a stupid internet rumor, until i seen it on the Army's facebook page, and several others. I figured more then a couple people on here would like to hear as well.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Yes, he had recently went into hospice care at the beginning of the month. I know him and LTG (ret) Hal Moore still make it a point to chat with some of our new troops. It was sad to hear the passing of the legend. Seen it on one page, and hoped it was a stupid internet rumor, until i seen it on the Army's facebook page, and several others. I figured more then a couple people on here would like to hear as well.

I met the CSM when I was in the Cav at Hood. Spent most of the day talking within him and a couple of other retirees at one of the reunions. I treasure that day in my career....

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I met the CSM when I was in the Cav at Hood. Spent most of the day talking within him and a couple of other retirees at one of the reunions. I treasure that day in my career....

Did Sam Elliott's character resemble him? It was a great character, for sure!

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI

I still have a lot of friends stationed, and employed at Hood. I was there from 99-01 and then again from 03-08 (deployed 04). Some interesting times while I was there as well. And I would imagine that would be quite the day. I heard a couple friends that I have that had also gotten to meet him and said that he was an amazing person and how honored they were to meet him

Did Sam Elliott's character resemble him? It was a great character, for sure!

I have heard he was the only one in Hollywood BA enough to play the actual one. Let me find a link and post it here, from the Army's page. Here he is from Vietnam and a recent photo of him
    http://www.army.mil/article/88882/Ia_Drang_retired_CSM_dies_at_92/

Top Bottom