• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ihunt

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Fort Wayne area
    Anyone hunt crow? Sounds like fun. Seems like I see them everywhere but around my property. I have seen large groups in fields while traveling down 69 to Indy.

I would love to have the opportunity to take a few from long distance. Makes me think of all the fun I had shooting all those birds with my daisy BB gun years ago.

kcw12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 4, 2008
    Im in the southern part of the state, and there are a few fields out here that the dnr bush hogged and so on. I generally go out see if there is anything and if there is i will set up for the day. Conditions are normally a day i would want to be out, i just do it to get out of the house. I found late eve is nice!!!

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I crow hunt a lot. Usually at the beginning of a wooded area next to a field. You should get at least 10 at a time, if you plan it.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    I'll be out again this season with my son. It is one of the best times. Crows are smart birds, love to hunt them. I don't if one state property is better than another; do a bit of scouting before the season starts. Crow are plentiful until you start hunting them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I've not hunted crows before. Could someone post a more detailed description? How do you call them? Do you shoot them in the air or on the ground?

i use a crow/owl fight call. i wait till i have quite a few circling over head and let the shotgun loose. i would recomend a tight choke as some shots are fairly long

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    At one time there I believe 5 major crow roosts in the United States, down to 4 as I recall. Each one contained anywhere from a few ten thousand to several hundred thousand. When I was a young lad, I can remember seeing a flight of crows heading out in the morning, and going back at night that surely numbered tens of thousands, and that was just one flight over our area. Imagine how many others there were in other areas heading in or out of the "local" roost? But alas, economic development and urban sprawl took care of that one. Had older cousins telling of 3 or four school bus loads of people going up for an evening shoot, half would go to one woods, the other half would go to a previously scouted woods where they knew the "jumped" birds would go after the shooting started. Local farmers would even prepare a meal on occasion to thank the crowd for their efforts. Hard telling what kind of lingering diseases are in the soil where all those birds rested for the night. Anybody live in Greenwood?

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I've often wondered what people do with the crows after they kill them? I was always taught that if you kill it you eat it. And yes I have seen the picture of the "crow pie" on here.

Top Bottom