• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chachi73

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2009
    west burbs
    I'm going to Tennessee soon and based on what i've read through my googlefu skills, I think I can carry through Kentucky and while in Tennessee. Can someone please confirm and fill me in on some of the highlights I should know while cc'ing in those two states? I appreciate the help INGO!

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    You can carry in both states. Check out hand handgunlaw.us and usacarry.com for the particulars.

zclevenger

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    Rochester
    I just went to tennessee in march, and contacted both kentucky and tennessee state police to double check you are ok in kentucky, but the way the lady at the tennessee state police post stated it was, "Tennessee sets agreements with each state on whether or not there permit is allowed, indiana and tennessee do not yet have an agreement , so therefore it is soley up to the officer to make the decision of whether or not it is a legal carry." I didnt risk it and kept my gun locked in a portable safe in the cabin we stayed in while there, but carried through kentucky

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I just went to tennessee in march, and contacted both kentucky and tennessee state police to double check you are ok in kentucky, but the way the lady at the tennessee state police post stated it was, "Tennessee sets agreements with each state on whether or not there permit is allowed, indiana and tennessee do not yet have an agreement , so therefore it is soley up to the officer to make the decision of whether or not it is a legal carry." I didnt risk it and kept my gun locked in a portable safe in the cabin we stayed in while there, but carried through kentucky

She's full of crap.

From the Tennessee Highway Patrol's website:

Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.

A quick explanation, before someone gets the wrong idea. "Facially valid" does not mean that it has to be a photo ID-type permit. Facially valid simply means that the permit is valid on it's face. In other words, not expired and matching the person it's issued to.

Tennesee does enter into reciprocity agreements, but only with states that require those agreements. Indiana recognizes everyone's permits, including Tennessee's, therefore there is no need for TN to enter into a formal agreement with Indiana for their permits to be recognized in one another's states.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    The reason there's no formal agreement w/ TN is because neither state requires a formal agreement between each state's Attorney General.

If IN required a formal agreement - then the TN AG would sign what's offered. If TN required one, the IN AG would sign what's offered.

(Some states' laws do require a formal written reciprocity agreement)

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Thanks for the correction and the additional knowledge and its a shame that some the people working at police posts dont even know the laws

When it comes to asking questions about the law, it's always best to contact a state's Attorney General's office to inquire. THEY know the laws.

While it's a good theory that the Police SHOULD know all of them, the simple reality is that it's impossible for all LEOs to know all the laws. There are simply too many of them.

The reason that we (as gun folk) find it so unfathomably annoying when the police don't know firearms laws is that WE know them - generally inside and out. It's our hobby - passion - livelihood - etc.

If you switch the hobby to something else - say - 4-wheeling / off roading / racing / associated towing - one would also expect LEO to know all the laws associated with that hobby as well should there be an issue where LEO was involved.

Same with hunting / fishing / game laws. We expect our Conservation Officers to know these laws inside and out. Those guys generally might not know all the laws surrounding a domestic violence situation.

See how it all works?

Getting LEAs and LEOs educated should be our goal - and it IS working. The vehicle of this education is, unfortunately, generally rough going for all involved. And potentially expensive.

-J-

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Hondolane
    Top Bottom