• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    So I will be traveling to Tennessee next week and according to everything I have read online regarding Indiana's License to Carry is honored by Tennessee but I just called the TN State Troopers to get a little more info (duty to inform, if they allow open carry or strictly concealed carry) and the person I spoke with stated that the information he had in front of him that Indiana and Tennessee do not have a reciprocity regarding firearms permits for carrying a firearm but was not 100% if they recently amended their firearm carry codes recently....

So I was wondering if anyone has anymore information regarding the matter and if so it would be greatly appreciated.

According to the sticky at the top of this section of the forum https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...nse/4227-states_that_honor_indianas_ltch.html, TN does honor it but that was posted 4 years ago, so I don't know if maybe that is needing some updating or if the person I spoke to was misinformed.

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Help source #1
    http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf

The TN state website:
    Handgun Carry Permit Frequently Asked Questions
    Handgun Carry Permit Reciprocity Information

But most importantly the TN Code:
    http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/
    39-17-1351. Handgun carry permits.

(r) (1) A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

(2) For a person to lawfully carry a handgun in this state based upon a permit or license issued in another state, the person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times the person carries a handgun in this state.

(3) (A) The commissioner of safety shall enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of the agreements. The commissioner of safety shall prepare and publicly publish a current list of states honoring permits issued by the state of Tennessee and shall make the list available to anyone upon request. The commissioner of safety shall also prepare and publicly publish a current list of states who, after inquiry by the commissioner, refuse to enter into a reciprocity agreement with this state or honor handgun carry permits issued by this state. To the extent that any state may impose conditions in the reciprocity agreements, the commissioner of safety shall publish those conditions as part of the list. If another state imposes conditions on Tennessee permit holders in a reciprocity agreement, the conditions shall also become a part of the agreement and apply to the other state's permit holders when they carry a handgun in this state.

(B) If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, the person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee. The permit may be issued based on the person having a permit from another state provided the other state has substantially similar permit eligibility requirements as this state. However, if during the six-month period the person applies for a handgun permit in this state and the application is denied, the person shall not be allowed to carry a handgun in this state based upon the other state's permit.
    So IANAL but it would appear that TN only concerns itself with reciprocity agreements when they are required to make the TN permit valid elsewhere, but TN will allow any states permit the same manner IN does. And that would be one of the reasons we don't ask cops for legal advice, as they are not required to know all the laws, even though Joe citizen is.

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Honoring another states license/permit and reciprocity with said state are two different things. Handgunlaw.us is a great place to get accurate and up to date info. Your IN license is good in KY and TN, you are not required to inform in any of the three. It seems TN has recently jumped on the wagon with IN and has become the second state to honor all other states licenses/permits. Previously only IN honored all others, maybe TN isn't the second, but we were certainly the first. In TN signs DO HAVE THE WEIGHT OF LAW. OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!
    is another great resource and it appears open carry and concealed are both acceptable.
    http://opencarry.org/opencarry.html

AuburnGuy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 3, 2012
    Auburn, Indiana
    You can carry in TN. Here is the kicker though.... Many places that serve alcohol have a no handgun sign. So you can carry, but many places do not allow it. When I was down there a few months ago, I didn't carry after the first day. My gun spent more time in the truck safe then on my side. I CC'd the entire time no OC.

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    There are 14 states that honor all other states permit/licenses. Starting July 1 there will be 15 as Mississippi will then honor all other states permit/licenses.

Go to Handgunlaw.us and click on Who Honors My Permit in the left column. When you open the document go to the second page and there it will tell you what states honor all other state permit/licenses. The States of Vermont, Alaska and Arizona allow anyone who is 21 and can legally possess a firearm can carry it concealed without any type of permit/license. Wyoming allows its residents to carry in WY without any type of permit/license.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon
    You can carry in TN. Here is the kicker though.... Many places that serve alcohol have a no handgun sign. So you can carry, but many places do not allow it. When I was down there a few months ago, I didn't carry after the first day. My gun spent more time in the truck safe then on my side. I CC'd the entire time no OC.

You can OC and CC with your Indiana LTCH in Tennessee. You are only "forbidden" to carry when the sign posted cites Tenn. code about no firearms. The gun buster circle has no merit. You can also carry into a bar/restraunt that serves alcohol as long as you do not consume alcohol. CC is always best especially when you go to the tourist spots(Gatlinburg,Pigon Forge,etc.) and overly crowded public places to prevent "panic" of the uninformed and paranoid. Also a place has to have it posted at the entrance of property if the are "restricting" guns on property. And post it "in sight" of the entrace of any building if they are "restricting" guns in thier building. Not in the middle or past the point of entry where as to "trap" you innto breaking the law. *

*This was told to me by the Tennessee State trooper that was at the Drivers Center when I was applying to transfer my Indiana permit.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You can OC and CC with your Indiana LTCH in Tennessee. You are only "forbidden" to carry when the sign posted cites Tenn. code about no firearms. The gun buster circle has no merit. You can also carry into a bar/restraunt that serves alcohol as long as you do not consume alcohol. CC is always best especially when you go to the tourist spots(Gatlinburg,Pigon Forge,etc.) and overly crowded public places to prevent "panic" of the uninformed and paranoid. Also a place has to have it posted at the entrance of property if the are "restricting" guns on property. And post it "in sight" of the entrace of any building if they are "restricting" guns in thier building. Not in the middle or past the point of entry where as to "trap" you innto breaking the law. *

*This was told to me by the Tennessee State trooper that was at the Drivers Center when I was applying to transfer my Indiana permit.

Hope this helps. Thanks.

I know this is just internet ramblings, so take it for what it's worth....

I was reading about this on a thread in TNGO some time back. And the posters there were of the opinion, that the non-official signs, though technically invalid, were sometimes viewed as "close enough" by LEO. All the ones on that thread were doubtful and/or unaware that there had ever been an actual arrest made by a person ignoring their no-guns signs. Take that for what it's worth, I guess.

Top Bottom