• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Yeah, it's pretty common practice here. I doubt that's the issue, though, given the way it was used. All digital goods makes me think someone is buying there own BS items on Amazon using stolen credit card numbers.

Something like:
    List e-book subscription service for $30
    Use stolen credit card numbers to sign up for the service
    Get the money

Amazon will eat the loss for the fraudulent cc, the 'author' will have the money.

Probably a decent living if you're a scammer in India or Nigeria or wherever.
    Sometimes it's testing the stolen card numbers to see if they are valid. Small digital purchases as you saw can go unnoticed.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Over here it's seen as very careless to give your card to anyone, and let it out of your sight for even a few seconds.
    I don't know anyone who does that.
    I think any waiter would probably just refuse to even touch your card.
    The waiter can't just swipe my card to get the payment anyway.
    They need bring a portable card reader to your table and you need to enter your PIN code to pay.
    Most people use debit cards in Europe, and not credit cards, but they provide pretty much the same level of security against fraud.
    Maybe you're more careful when you're using your own money and not the bank's money.

I don't know if it's offers more protection against fraud or if it's just a cultural difference.

I have airbags in my car but I still try not to crash into incoming traffic. :dunno:
    Isn't Europe chip and PIN even on credit cards? Eliminates a lot of theft and fraud as I understand it, but American companies fear that it will cut into sales here I guess. Pretty smart system in Europe if you ask me.

I use apple pay with various cards when I can, including with an Apple Card which itself has no numbers physically printed on the actual card (if you even opt to get a real card).

As I understand retailer/intermediary card processors never even see the card number in the transaction when using Apple or the other digital wallet systems.

On the apple card you can generate new card numbers at will etc, as well.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Same here. And when my debit card was compromised, I had a new card the same day by just going to my credit union branch. Money is usually back in the account in 3 business days or less.
    Yep same day card. Forgot about that

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Happened to my card awhile ago. BS small charges, less the $10. Couple of them before the Credit Union caught and called me.

Weird I thought. Figured maybe someone seeing if it was a valid card by charging small amounts and then hitting it big.

Credit Union has always been great on it. Fixed it with new card in 48 hrs.

Don

These ranged from $30-ish to $120-ish. Total of around $700, but no more than one purchase from each Amazon account. I'm pretty sure it's someone buying their own stuff, like I mentioned up above. Otherwise zero reason to keep it on one merchant and to repeatedly make new accounts to buy things.

Anyway, I've set up a text alert for any purchase over $0.01 now, like I did with Capital One.

Yep.
    They offer the same amount of protection.

The difference here is who's money is tied up. Debit card, your money is tied up until dispute is over. Credit card, their money is tied up until the dispute is over.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I have a 2% card that I use for auto pay monthly items. I am not self disciplined enough to use it everyday so I use my debit card. I spend more when I use a credit card.
    Everydollar.com (part of Dave Ramsey) helped us really track our expenses and keep them in line. It's amazing how far we've come in the past 10 years due to seeing how just we spent on what...

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Amazon sends an email with each purchase.
    And my credit card (and debit card) sends an email each time.

But, you have to read them, and think "did I (or wife) order that?"
    If you don't read them and think about it, then I don't know, nothing will work.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Years ago I was selling on ebay and all of the money went into a paypal account as a slush fund/fun money.
    I had $200 in it the morning I discovered the breach and was using to eat out for lunch. Penn Station went through at noon.
    I decided to buy beer on the way home and it was declined. Odd. I still had at least $180 in the account.

After paying actual cash I logged into my account on my phone. There was a string of purchases throughout the day around Ontario, CA. Gas stations, Pizza places, etc. They drained my account in a day. PP was kind enough to add purchase alerts to my card after replenishing my funds. (they were astute enough to notice my swipes in Indy were legit and there was no way I was 6 hours away at the same time) From that point forward every charge resulted in a push message alerting me to the charge.

I suspect it was the bar I used the card at within Ontario weeks before. Just too "close to home" to be a rando number theft. This was also one of those where the server took the card into the back instead of me using a machine at the register. All of the fraud happened within an hour or so of where I had used it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep.
    They offer the same amount of protection.
    At least here in the states, you are correct. Kinda.

The difference is with a debit card, the bank may choose to not put the cash back in your checking account while they investigate. So while you will probably get your money back eventually, but you may not see it for 14-60 days when they close the fraud case. Credit is easy to restore instantly. Actual cash money some institutions are reluctant to replace in case they get scammed again*.

*you use the card to buy stuff, report it as fraud, then withdraw the cash after they replenish the acct. (and then disappear into the night with their money)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Amazon sends an email with each purchase.
    And my credit card (and debit card) sends an email each time.

But, you have to read them, and think "did I (or wife) order that?"
    If you don't read them and think about it, then I don't know, nothing will work.
    Amazon wouldn't give me any info other than to verify it wasn't my account

Anyway, I've set up a text alert for any purchase over $0.01 now, like I did with Capital One.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I wonder where those magnanimous credit card companies are getting that 2% to hand out from…
    Most businesses pay less than 3% in credit card fees, so it's from the interest of those that carry a balance from month to month.

To those folks, I say thank you!

*don't get me started on that 3% extra charge many small businesses are adding on for those that pay with a credit card...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    At least here in the states, you are correct. Kinda.

The difference is with a debit card, the bank may choose to not put the cash back in your checking account while they investigate. So while you will probably get your money back eventually, but you may not see it for 14-60 days when they close the fraud case. Credit is easy to restore instantly. Actual cash money some institutions are reluctant to replace in case they get scammed again*.

*you use the card to buy stuff, report it as fraud, then withdraw the cash after they replenish the acct. (and then disappear into the night with their money)
    I suppose it depends mainly on your bank, and not so much on the time of card you used.
    In France, by law, banks have one day to refund a client in case of card fraud regardless of the type used.
    So banks will refund you first, then investigate.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Isn't Europe chip and PIN even on credit cards? Eliminates a lot of theft and fraud as I understand it, but American companies fear that it will cut into sales here I guess. Pretty smart system in Europe if you ask me.

We had chips and pins on every single card since the 1980's.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Most businesses pay less than 3% in credit card fees, so it's from the interest of those that carry a balance from month to month.

*don't get me started on that 3% extra charge many small businesses are adding on for those that pay with a credit card...

I looked in to this a little while back because Congress has decided they need to insert themselves into the credit card space. Not on the high interest rates, mind you, it's totally cool to charge 22%+ on rotating debt. No, on the processing fees. One can only assume the Walton and Bezos funded PACs decided this was a problem. Congress critter pretends consumer prices will go down as opposed to the merchant keeping pricing the same and taking the profit which is what *always happens*.

Anyway, transaction fees are CC's main source of income but are not profitable. Roughly 80% of profit comes from interest payments, roughly 15% comes from fees (late fees, annual fees, etc) and 5% comes from some sort of bank-to-bank stuff I didn't understand what they were referencing. Maybe currency exchange fees, but it didn't just say that. This was per the US Federal Reserve. About 1 in 5 customers uses a given credit card fairly often but *doesn't* carry a balance. Average debt was $3k-$7k. Average interest rate was a touch north of 20%, but I don't recall exactly any longer.

Side note, I contacted my congress critter on the topic and, in doing so, got signed up for every eff-tarded dog whistle fund raiser the Republican party can come up with. Apparently we're thiiiiis close to impeaching Biden, if only I would give $20 to get them over the hump.:spend:

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I looked in to this a little while back because Congress has decided they need to insert themselves into the credit card space. Not on the high interest rates, mind you, it's totally cool to charge 22%+ on rotating debt. No, on the processing fees. One can only assume the Walton and Bezos funded PACs decided this was a problem. Congress critter pretends consumer prices will go down as opposed to the merchant keeping pricing the same and taking the profit which is what *always happens*.

Anyway, transaction fees are CC's main source of income but are not profitable. Roughly 80% of profit comes from interest payments, roughly 15% comes from fees (late fees, annual fees, etc) and 5% comes from some sort of bank-to-bank stuff I didn't understand what they were referencing. Maybe currency exchange fees, but it didn't just say that. This was per the US Federal Reserve. About 1 in 5 customers uses a given credit card fairly often but *doesn't* carry a balance. Average debt was $3k-$7k. Average interest rate was a touch north of 20%, but I don't recall exactly any longer.

Side note, I contacted my congress critter on the topic and, in doing so, got signed up for every eff-tarded dog whistle fund raiser the Republican party can come up with. Apparently we're thiiiiis close to impeaching Biden, if only I would give $20 to get them over the hump.:spend:
    I didn't dig that deep, I just see the line item on different Brand P&Ls and its never been 3%, or even close to it.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

*3% doesn't cover close to all the fees... ask me how I know.
    Wait, don't, I'm not going to rehash it again, you can run a search here if you are really that interested. In short, bring me cash.

Top Bottom