• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bstone2

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    west side of indianapolis
    i made baby bug out bags for my daughter (5) and son (3). they consist of a camelbak with a m249 S.A.W ammo pouch attached to them. in the ammo pouch is

an emergency blanket
    water purification tablets
    50' of 550 cord
    bic lighter wrapped id a baggie and taped against moisture
    a multitool
    a child sized poncho
    small pill bottle with kids multivitamins
    1 spare compass

i plan to add more to fill pouch ie food and med supplies but this is a good start. i thought bug out bags for kids this small was creative. what have you done thats creative?

recon19d

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    Sierra Bravo November
    nice nice, Im in the process of remodeling my wife and I's BoB since were getting ready to have our first child here in September, Her BoB is mainly consisting of essential baby items and my pack is getting a little heavier cross loading some ammo and food supplies, all the while were moving some of her supplies that are less essential to our Bug out location. Its great that the kids have the items but ensure they know how to utilize them in the event of a seperation, Yes they are very young but stil, randomly remember something dad taught them just one time may be the difference between life and death.

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Kids mostly need shelter, water, food and LIGHT. Also, throw in a whistle. As recon said, teach them how to use the stuff. Add food, heck with the vitamins. That won't feed them. Add a small durable flashlight that they can leave on all night of needed-LED. Add a warm fleece cap.

As far as creative? Not sure of your question. In regards to prepping for kids or for prepping in general? Prepping for kids is pretty mainstream if you are a prepper at all. Creative is building a wood gassifier for a vehicle, buying rat traps to trap small critters for eating, and having alternate ID. Just random thoughts.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I had a spare bag ready to start packing for the next kid... Just found out we ate pregnant again.... Thinking it will be a baby needs/supply bag. Other child can carry his bag.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    Kids can really get into survival planning if given the opportunity. I make mine a part of it and sometimes quiz them randomly. (they get a kick out of it, but they are gaining knowlege)

woowoo2

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    i made baby bug out bags for my daughter (5) and son (3). they consist of a camelbak with a m249 S.A.W ammo pouch attached to them. in the ammo pouch is

an emergency blanket
    water purification tablets
    50' of 550 cord
    bic lighter wrapped id a baggie and taped against moisture
    a multitool
    a child sized poncho
    small pill bottle with kids multivitamins
    1 spare compass

i plan to add more to fill pouch ie food and med supplies but this is a good start. i thought bug out bags for kids this small was creative. what have you done thats creative?

Bic lighter for a 5 year old?
    Is this a good idea?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If properly trained, yes. A 5 year old can run a lighter if you stay with them and show them what it does and how bad it can hurt. My 5 yr. old gran-daughter helps with the fire when we have one. She is more than aware of the damage fire will do. If you watch and listen, children will let you know of their shortcomings just like an adult will tell you of his bad intentions with out realizing.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    If properly trained, yes. A 5 year old can run a lighter if you stay with them and show them what it does and how bad it can hurt. My 5 yr. old gran-daughter helps with the fire when we have one. She is more than aware of the damage fire will do. If you watch and listen, children will let you know of their shortcomings just like an adult will tell you of his bad intentions with out realizing.

Wait, when you say show them how bad it can hurt....

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Bic lighters don't like being wet and take a while to dry... Yes I have them in the bags but not something you want to use in the rain. Mag stick for that.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I had similar setups for my kids and thought they were great.....until we took them out and tried them out. My three youngest (7,7,and 5) drained their hydration bladders in the first 15 minutes, which resulted in us stopping to pee on and behind trees every 30 second (well ok, maybe it only felt like every 30 second lol) for the rest of the hike. I didn't want to cut down on the amount of water we carried, nor did I want to have to carry all the extra water weight myself. My answer was to only fill their water bladders part way and then put the additional water in water bottles (found stainless steel bottles made by stanley at wally world for $5) inside their packs, making it harder for them to get at and devour.
    I also put kids cliff bars (think they're called Zbars?) in their packs along with the vitamins.
    As others have said, light is a big one (think night lights in their rooms?)
    My oldest's bag (she's 11) also has .22lr ammo in it since she has a ruger 10/22 rifle and knows how to use it.
    I also put very basic first aid kits (bandaids, neosporin, and insect bite pens) in each kid's kit, minimal weight but they can handle small boo boos without me having to break out the big med kit.

One thing I can't stress enough, is have your kids "train" with their BOBs. Anytime we go hiking or camping my kids carry theirs with them this does a couple things, 1 it gets them used to carry the weight, 2 you get to see if you've overloaded (or under loaded) a particular kid's bag, 3 you get to discover if their bag still fits them. I dunno about you, but my kids are growing like weeds, the small pack (it was a disney princess pack lol) that my youngest was carrying no longer fits her (the straps are too small) so I upgraded her to a small jansport back pack.

Top Bottom