• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Klbeeks

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    Wabas
    I would say that the average size is diffenitly up.. I've been seeing some pretty nice size yotes the last couple years.. I shot one last year that went 64 lbs.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Our neighbor runs a federal licensed wildlife rehab facility. A farmer brought her six coydog pups which she has raised to maturity. She DNA tested the pups and they are definitely a mix of coyote and dog. The feds say she can't adopt out the coydogs into someone's home since there is coyote in them and can't release them since you can't just release a dog into the wild. They built a small pole barn with an outdoor run which will be the life long home for these six animals.

andrewhorning

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2008
    Freedom, IN
    Coyote DNA comprises 65 percent of the average coywolf’s genetic material, while wolf DNA represents 25 percent; only the remaining 10 percent is dog.
    This has been studied for a while now. There're news stories all over about this.
    What I've personally observed is that from my little farm in Freedom, IN, I've seen the numbers of indigenous coyotes go from fairly problematically high, to zero, in just the past year.
    They've been, as far as I've seen in the past year to six months or so, entirely replaced by these Eastern Coyotes/Coywolves.
    Their songs/sounds are different, they're far less timid (they've come within 50 yards of my house when our dogs are inside), and they're at least 50% bigger with bigger heads, shorter ears, and more wolfish tails.
    They're beautiful creatures, actually.
    I wish, however, that they'd scare away all the hunters who keep trespassing on my place (@#$%!?).

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    This is one I shot last year in Martin County - compare to the TC muzzy in the background - HUGE coyote. I've heard them called Coydogs - coyote/dog hybrid - most of my life.

attachment.php

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    These pics blow me away! I have known for years about wolf DNA in coyotes east of the Mississippi, but these pics are freaky. I have been trying to trap coyotes for the past 2 years, with no luck. Keep catching possums and cats. Every time I find a tripped, broke or missing trap, I think that was a coyote. Any suggestions on how big a trap I need for one of these critters?

I would suggest an MB550. Cross stake it with two rebar stakes at least 18" long. Ain't no coyote gonna get outta that. (Call Hoosier Trapper Supply, they can set you up). If you want to avoid catching cats and opussums, try a urine post set set instead of a baited set. The bait is what is drawing in the cats and opossums. Take a charred piece of wood and use that as your attractor instead of a baited dirt hole. Squirt some coyote pee on the charred wood. Also, setting your pan tension to up around 3-4 pounds will still catch a coyote but light footed animals won't set it off.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Our neighbor runs a federal licensed wildlife rehab facility. A farmer brought her six coydog pups which she has raised to maturity. She DNA tested the pups and they are definitely a mix of coyote and dog. The feds say she can't adopt out the coydogs into someone's home since there is coyote in them and can't release them since you can't just release a dog into the wild. They built a small pole barn with an outdoor run which will be the life long home for these six animals.

Where in nw is the place and are people allowed to vist?

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Flash back 1972-3-4 maybe near the intersection of 2 rivers and on state property conservation officers observed releasing something larger than dogs yet smaller than deer. Farmer and I drove up to them and asked what they released and were told "nothing". As we knew one of the COs we figured we could get a stright answer from him later. Fast forward to later, same answer "nothing". Fast forward to 1975-6 maybe, something killing his hogs on a feed lot. Finally saw the biggest set of dog prints I have ever seen. Figured it was a neighbors dog "shepards". Farmer set about to catch dog in act. He had a burn pile back near the woods he used to burn dead piglets and such. One day on the way to add to the pile he saw the "dog" runnig twards the burn pile from the feed lot. As he carried his rifle with him at all times just for this type opportunity while on the farm. You guessed it, one dead "dog". Took it back to the barn weighed it at just over 90# hung it up and from tip of nose to tip of tail was over 7'. Called our local CO friend, he came out looked at it and said that's the biggest "Shepard" he had ever seen! Farmer said it was a wolf and CO said can't be a wolf as there are none in this part of country and you wouldnt want to be caught shooting one now would you since they are protected regardless if they are eating swine or trotting around in the woods! He took the Shepard. You might ask why. I think it speaks for it's self because what intrest would the DNR have in a dead "Shepard". So don't be fooled the DNR releases all things wild just to see.

Last edited:

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    Over the years, I have seen some really large Coyotes and some "normal" sized Coyotes. I saw a beautiful, golden-yellow one a week and a half ago, that was huge. Even taking into account a thick, heavy, winter coat. It was long bodied and tall. Not as long legged and lanky looking as a wolf.
    The dark colored ones on the trail cam pics, posted above, are interesting.
    Long story, but one of my flintlock long rifles was bit on the muzzle by a Coyote, a few years ago. Marked the steel barrel and bent the front sight over. While I was holding the rifle.
    My brother witnessed this and put a 50 caliber bullet through the Coyote's head.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    We saw a coyote today on the west side. It was in the fenced in area of the velodrome walking towards the soapbox derby area. It was large. It was taller and longer than my black and tan coonhound. It was just mozying on through. Not a care in the world. I wish I would have gotten a picture but we had work to do.

Jsomerset

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 31, 2016
    Somerset
    Where I live you can here them raise Cain almost any evening. It's target rich environment here with deer and turkey and they are well fed and large. Most are fine looking animals but brave beyond belief. I worked in Indy and would see them quite often on south side of Marion crossing the highway heading into town for free grub from the city folk.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    Where I live you can here them raise Cain almost any evening. It's target rich environment here with deer and turkey and they are well fed and large. Most are fine looking animals but brave beyond belief. I worked in Indy and would see them quite often on south side of Marion crossing the highway heading into town for free grub from the city folk.
    I saw one last fall in The grass of the ramp from 465 to 31 north on the south side, about 8-9 am, like it didn't have a care in the world, given the opportunity, it would have had a 10 ton care, but no such luck:noway:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    A wolf, a Coywolf, a Coydog, whatever, just kill it and be done with it. All of them are predators for no good intent.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I used to bow hunt Pembroke IL for deer. Place was a dumping ground for all sorts of stuff including dogs. These once domesticated dogs now ran with the coyotes and bread with them. We called them Coydogs. I never did get a deer out of that place. Every time I went hunting the deer would be running threw with the dog pack behind them.

Managed to make contact with one of them at about 40 yards. Bow at the time didn't have enough gusto to kill him at that distance but it took a hunk of meat off the top of his back.

I quit hunting there needless to say. The land owner would not allow any firearms on the property. O well I said live out here with the freakish meat eating wild dogs.

They were pretty crazy. I would have been more than happy to vaporize them all utilizing electronic calls and varmint rifles. Heck even a 9mm pistol while bow hunting would have been a great tool to pop them off.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Kostas25
    Top Bottom