• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    There might be some issues with pressure. 9mm operates at 35,000 psi. 30 Super operates at 50,000 psi.
    That might be as simple as barrel and recoil spring change.
    I believe S&W has the 30 SC in the 9mm EZ frame.

It's also in the Shield + frame.
    16+1

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    The problem will be the breach face. The diameter will be a good amount less and making it work with the extractor of a 9mm would be an issue. So it would be a barrel, mag and slide replacement.

I watched a video on this recently and it was brought up. Let me see if I can find it.

Last edited:

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Modern_production_.30_French_Long_ammunition_made_by_Steinel..jpg

Lets accidentally knock off a defunct cartridge, long forgotten about... and call it new and exciting,

Then realize that its completely outclassed by something like 30 carbine, or not FBI pug loaded 10MM..

Well at least Federal tried...

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Lets accidentally knock off a defunct cartridge, long forgotten about... and call it new and exciting,

Then realize that its completely outclassed by something like 30 carbine, or not FBI pug loaded 10MM..

Well at least Federal tried...
    They weren't trying to match the power of the 10mm or the .30 carbine which doesn't fit into semi-auto pistols very well. The majority of shooters probably don't want that level of power in a compact or sub-compact pistol anyway. Instead, they were trying to provide a round that provide more performance than .380 and more capacity than the .380 or 9mm in small concealed carry pistols.

Squid556

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 26, 2022
    Wabash Co.
    I’m somewhat welcoming to the cartridge. Just curious how well it really shoots in 380 sized guns.

We know that the advantage of 380s low pressure is that it lets you put it in a much smaller lighter package than 9mm while still retaining marginal FBI spec effectiveness.

Considering that 380 at low pressure 90 grains can be quite snappy (talking real pocket guns)… makes me think that a 100 grain at more than double that pressure would be more than most of us would be willing to shoot. Well except for the scandium frame magnum crazies haha.

I think Ian is onto something where he is pointing out that it’s advantages stack up greater when compared to 9mm, especially in the larger platforms like PDWs. I’d think something form factor like a P90 chambered in 30SC would be quite a bit more potent than 5.7. While being slightly less capacity. Just a thought though.

unfair to compare it to 30 carbine. That cartridge is obviously in a whole different class. Triple the energy nearly.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Other than getting 1-3 more rounds in a magazine, I don't really see anything wild and exciting. I know some people will still carry a 50rd box of ammo in spare magazines on their belt just to feel safe. Most can't hit what their aiming at anyway and need the extra rounds, I guess.

Top Bottom