• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I get that the CRF isn't really the most critical feature in the world for 99% of hunting out there. What really appealing to me about it is that if I start doing more remote hunts in deeper wilderness areas especially Alaska. A buddy and I were dangerously close to doing a DIY Alaskan moose hunt this year. I've gone to sleep on an Alaskan ridge/small mountain looking at snowless mountains only to spent the night thinking my tent would be shredded any moment and waking up to a snowy wonderland. I can name a few of times like that, but the appeal of a CRF rifle for me is really for those types of remote wilderness types of hunts, where there's no going back to a shelter that night.

I definitely like the look and feel of the hogue stocks like the Ruger Alaskan, but I also know how flexible they can be and that can throw off a long shot. I'm not planning to shoot a critter at a half a mile, but with a hunting gun with hunting accuracy I want to stack all the odds in my favor that I can out to 500 or 600 yards absolute max. I've never had a laminate stock like the guide model and while I've heard great things I think the weight of it would make me pass.

"If" I were to buy the Ruger Hunter Hawkeye in 300wm I would likely chose this stock if I ended up replacing the stock at all. https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precisionr-pro-series-2000-sporter-stocks-rugerr-77-mark-iitm.html For the caliber I'm thinking of like the 300wm I don't think I want to go too light on the rifle. I'm positive I'll hate every ounce of the gun going up and down hills, but when it's time to take the shot I'll be glad I have an extra pound or two.

Ultimately, it's just something fun to think about now because I don't have that kind of hunt planned for this year, but next year it's a very likely possibility. To be ready for that means I should be getting the gun dialed in this year so I'm familiar with it and have all the bugs worked out before.
    I get it. When I went to South Africa both rifles I took were CRF and Lord willing, if I ever go back to hunt dangerous game it will almost certainly be with CRF rifles. Not because I think they are necessary but for the romance of it.

Laminate stocks are typically heavier but the Ruger Guide Gun is actually the same weight as the Hunter due to the shorter barrel. It's a much handier package for navigating thick cover as well. If you do get the Ruger, get it early enough to spend plenty of time working the bolt or take it to a gunsmith and have it slicked up. Rugers are not the smoothest feeding CRF rifles at first.

If you decide on a lighter rifle, Kimber makes some nice synthetic stocked CRF rifles. They handle really nice, have really good triggers, and in my experience handle recoil very well for as light as they are.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I like a lot of options between winchester 70 and ruger, and before I'd make a purchase I'd have to handle both and hopefully work the action on both that I'd be considering. I definitely want a threaded muzzle, if not for a brake, probably just a tuner. I have a hard time finding a winchester 70 in stock online anywhere that I could see what the actual selling prices are but it seems between winchester and ruger it'd be a thousand dollars or more either way.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I like a lot of options between winchester 70 and ruger, and before I'd make a purchase I'd have to handle both and hopefully work the action on both that I'd be considering. I definitely want a threaded muzzle, if not for a brake, probably just a tuner. I have a hard time finding a winchester 70 in stock online anywhere that I could see what the actual selling prices are but it seems between winchester and ruger it'd be a thousand dollars or more either way.
    A new Winchester will be in the $1300-$1500 range most likely. A Model 70 is going to be a whole lot smoother than a Ruger, not even close to the same feel. You'd have to go with one of the Model 70 clones, Montana, Kimber, etc., to match or exceed the same level of smoothness.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A new Winchester will be in the $1300-$1500 range most likely. A Model 70 is going to be a whole lot smoother than a Ruger, not even close to the same feel. You'd have to go with one of the Model 70 clones, Montana, Kimber, etc., to match or exceed the same level of smoothness.
    I think when I get one of each in my hands there'll be a clear winner and I was guessing it'd be the winchester. Where are Winchesters even made these days. I remember reading years ago they were bought and moved.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    Once you get into that price range you are so close to far superior rifles. A Seekins PH2, Fierce Rogue, Christensen Mesa FFT (although I didn’t have a lot of success with my Mesa), Weatherby Mark V hunter, etc. I think when you get into the $1500-$2200 there’s a bunch of semi-custom or top of the line carbon guns that are far superior to the offerings from Winchester and dare I say Kimber…just not CRF.

If CRF is a deal breaker for Teddy it really limits the rifles to choose from.

I’ll add one more point, don’t forget about stock ergonomics. There’s a big difference in stock geometry from one brand to the next. My Fierce in .28 Nosler is more pleasurable to shoot than my wife’s Christensen 6.5 PRC. The recoil pad and stock geometry make all the difference in the big magnums.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Once you get into that price range you are so close to far superior rifles. A Seekins PH2, Fierce Rogue, Christensen Mesa FFT (although I didn’t have a lot of success with my Mesa), Weatherby Mark V hunter, etc. I think when you get into the $1500-$2200 there’s a bunch of semi-custom or top of the line carbon guns that are far superior to the offerings from Winchester and dare I say Kimber…just not CRF.

If CRF is a deal breaker for Teddy it really limits the rifles to choose from.

I’ll add one more point, don’t forget about stock ergonomics. There’s a big difference in stock geometry from one brand to the next. My Fierce in .28 Nosler is more pleasurable to shoot than my wife’s Christensen 6.5 PRC. The recoil pad and stock geometry make all the difference in the big magnums.
    Hell, you can get a Sako S20 for less than $1200 currently and I would take an S20 over many rifles that cost twice as much. CRF definitely limits the options, it is just more expensive to produce and doesn't fit into the long range shooting craze given the typically reduced aftermarket support.

That is a great point about stock geometry and recoil. In the realm of CRF rifles, I don't think the Model 70's I've shot handle recoil nearly as well as the often significantly lighter Kimbers. I'd say most of the Rugers I've shot do much better than Model 70s but not quite on par with the Kimbers, some of that is due to the extra weight though.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    Hell, you can get a Sako S20 for less than $1200 currently and I would take an S20 over many rifles that cost twice as much. CRF definitely limits the options, it is just more expensive to produce and doesn't fit into the long range shooting craze given the typically reduced aftermarket support.

That is a great point about stock geometry and recoil. In the realm of CRF rifles, I don't think the Model 70's I've shot handle recoil nearly as well as the often significantly lighter Kimbers. I'd say most of the Rugers I've shot do much better than Model 70s but not quite on par with the Kimbers, some of that is due to the extra weight though.
    I love Sako’s, but they are on the heavier side (8ish lbs) for my liking.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg

And to your point, a Sako is another rifle that I would trust my life with. If I had a bear encounter and I can’t get one in the chamber with that butter smooth action of a Sako, I don’t care what gun it is, I wasn’t going to be able to chamber that round. The failure would be my nerves not the rifle.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    Zermatt Arms actions (Origin, TL3, SR3) are all CRF. Great actions....(relatively) affordable, 700 footprint and triggers, Savage barrel compatability. Shouldered prefits available too.

Elcidaviator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2021
    Scottsburg
    The Hunter configuration of the S20 comes in at just over 7 lbs., which is about as light as I would want any rifle chambered in .300 Win mag.
    For some reason I thought they were just under 8lbs, but just looked it up and you are correct, it’s 7lbs 4oz.

I differ from most on the weight subject. I want my rifle system to be around 9lbs, but I want the bare rifle to be as light as possible. That allows me to add a scope, bipod, arca rail and suppressor and still keep it around the 9lb mark.

The suppressor will do a lot more for recoil management than a couple extra pounds of bare rifle weight.

I’m shooting a .28 Nosler that has more free recoil energy than .300 WM. The bare rifle weight is 6.6lbs and it’s a dream to shoot suppressed with only a scope added.

Top Bottom