• ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    This must have been a fun ride!

Sure wish the Concorde was still flying today...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7wmyx__l-s&NR=1]YouTube - Concorde captain changes his mind[/ame]

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    A quick check on youtube didn't turn anything, but one of the coolest things to see is a B-52 landing in a crosswind like that.

The crew just cranks the undercarriage about so that it's inline with the runway while the BUFF itself is angled to the runway flying into the wind!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    A quick check on youtube didn't turn anything, but one of the coolest things to see is a B-52 landing in a crosswind like that.

The crew just cranks the undercarriage about so that it's inline with the runway while the BUFF itself is angled to the runway flying into the wind!

I've seen YouTube videos of B-747s doing that very same thing.

Gives me the heebie-jeebies just watching it!

-J-

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEre4tZ3nCw]YouTube - Awesome Crosswind Landings Compilation[/ame]

Here's a longer compilation. Don't ask me what's up with the music, but it's got some good clips. There's an F/A-18 in the middle with an amusing dialogue with tower.

I think crosswinds are fun in small planes..flying a transport category plane..not so much.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    ALL landings are crosswind landings. The amount of crab angle is the only difference. It's actually a lot easier than it looks.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I'll concede it's not the norm, but winds can be down the centerline. You'd still define that as a crosswind?

Of course not, but winds down the centerline is so statistically unusual that it's not even worth mentioning. Either that or I fly at very poorly designed airports where the engineers didn't understand the concept of "prevailing winds". :):

Typhon1390

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2011
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Yeah, you gotta love those random runways where there's not a chance that the winds will ever favor them. I love (hate) when people without an aviation background get involved in airport planning.. Hey, that's actually a pretty good analogy for people who've never fired a weapon trying to pass gun control regulations.

Now every carrier landing is a crosswind landing. You've got that 15 degree offset of the flight deck from the direction the ship's headed in at full steam. So you're guaranteed at least a 30 kt. crosswind. And crab isn't an option, it's cross controlled all the way down.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    And crab isn't an option, is cross controlled all the way down.

GAH! That's brown-trouser time for sure. The worst I ever had was landing a Cessna 152 (about 50 pounds of aluminum siding with a giant spinning blade of death in front) with a 75-degree crosswind that EASILY exceeded the max crosswind component for that aircraft. I readily concede that that's nothing. I don't even want to try landing a 30 million dollar aircraft using cross-control (forget the whole parts about landing it on a moving postage stamp).

hip shot

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    The Concord actually flew over us many years ago on a publicity tour. i saw it and it was LOUD and very cool.................

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    GAH! That's brown-trouser time for sure. The worst I ever had was landing a Cessna 152 (about 50 pounds of aluminum siding with a giant spinning blade of death in front) with a 75-degree crosswind that EASILY exceeded the max crosswind component for that aircraft. I readily concede that that's nothing. I don't even want to try landing a 30 million dollar aircraft using cross-control (forget the whole parts about landing it on a moving postage stamp).

My grandfather has a basic intersecting N-S and E-W grass strip run-way on his farm. I have some great memories flying with him in his J-3 Cub coming in with cross wind.

What was nice is that he would use the wind to help him with his "Slip" manuever to drop altitude very quickly for a very short ground travel distance, and then straighten it out just before landing.

As a young boy it was really fun seeing the nose pointed in a completely different direction than what we were flying.

I think a lot of us take for granted the effects of wind speed and direction on many aspects of flying, especially the very noticeable ones on landing. In the video games you just line it up on the runway and bring her on in. Very rarely do you get it that easy in real life.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I saw some crazy landings and wave offs while I was aboard the Constellation when I was in the Navy. Naval Aviators are the BEST in the world!! :yesway: :patriot:

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    The Concord actually flew over us many years ago on a publicity tour. i saw it and it was LOUD and very cool.................

We camped at the end of the runway in Oshkosh. They were taking flights up and going supersonic over Canada. When it takes off 200 feet from your tent, it is indeed very loud. And very cool. :D

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    My grandfather has a basic intersecting N-S and E-W grass strip run-way on his farm. I have some great memories flying with him in his J-3 Cub coming in with cross wind.

What was nice is that he would use the wind to help him with his "Slip" manuever to drop altitude very quickly for a very short ground travel distance, and then straighten it out just before landing.

As a young boy it was really fun seeing the nose pointed in a completely different direction than what we were flying.

I think a lot of us take for granted the effects of wind speed and direction on many aspects of flying, especially the very noticeable ones on landing. In the video games you just line it up on the runway and bring her on in. Very rarely do you get it that easy in real life.

In a light aircraft like a Cub or a 152 and with a good strong headwind, you can actually fly BACKWARD (relative ground track) which is pretty interesting.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Since the globemaster was designed to land on improvised runways, it has a pretty ridiculous amount of crab built into the gear so that it can basically land sideways.

Cool plane.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Here's a good B52 crosswind landing... it becomes really evident after the chute come out...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCUHQ_-l6Qg&feature=related]YouTube - b52[/ame]

Top Bottom