• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I get a newsletter from the US Concealed Carry Association. This is what they sent today.

==========================================================

I have something for you to add to your list of stuff to read... this is the "Concealed Carry Tragedy" that I refer to in the subject line of this week's Armed American Report. I am going to give you a link to an MSNBC article- it's kind of long, but it's a MUST READ. It's about a law abiding 57 year old retired teacher and father of seven who had to use his pistol in self defense within his home-state of Arizona, and is now serving a 10 year prison sentence.

Here is the article: Trail of evidence - Trail of Evidence - MSNBC.com.

And HERE is a link to his defense webpage: Harold Fish Defense

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Terrible story. It's too bad Mr. Fish's lawyer wasn't a firearms guy. One of the primary problems the Jury had with him was his use of Hollow Point Bullets.

A Lawyer who knew firearms should have taken the time to bring expert witnesses in from the Mfg. of the Ammo, as well as firearms instructors.

Here's to hopefully his winning the appeal, and Arizona for changing a bad law in response to this case.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    A bullet, is a bullet, is a bullet is a bullet.

Doesn't matter if its lead, steel, copper, hollow, flat nosed, or round tipped.

The facts are: They all move at a high rate of speed and are designed to kill.

End of story.

The fact that Mr. Fish got hung out to dry on the fact of his "gun is too big" or his "Bullets are too strong" is complete BS.

"Too big and too strong" according to whom? The local Nanny State Hippie Patchouli brigade?

This is a sad sad tale. I don't even think Mr. Fish should have even gone to trial.

Ask you this - How many hoodlums who have shot, killed, and robbed the local 7-11 stopped to "pack the wounds and call for help" of the employee they just murdered.

ZERO. NILL. NO MAS. 0%. -100.

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Jon, for what it's worth, Arizona did change the law. Now the burden of proving homicide is on the prosecutor. Previously it was on the defense to prove it was not homicide.

But I agree Mr. Fish was in the right, and the Arizona Criminal Justice System seriously dropped the ball.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    Massad Ayoob has written about the Fish case several times.

It seems one of the female jurors stated in an after trial interview that one of the reasons they convicted was because, " he used those bullets, those hollow bullets." Being 10mm didn't help either, I assume.

I wasn't at the trial, nor have I read transcripts of it. This is just information I have gleaned from several written pieces.

Another sticking point seemed to be that Fish fired warning shots at the dogs, but no warning shots at their owner.

I think Fish got a raw deal from what I can determine.

They also say his attorney is well established and very well thought of in Arizona. ???

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    The story really makes me cringe. It brings to light a few of my worst "what do you do?" scenarios. Barking dogs running towards you and unarmed idiot that would advance on a leveled gun. Said idiot, turning out to be one of those that value animal life more than human.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    This tragedy makes me extremely angry. I get those emails too, but they are a bunch of gobbley gook numbers and letters that I cant read for some reason.

TomN

'tis but a flesh wound!
    Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    Elkhart
    The father of seven with no criminal record was now questioned by police late into the night and the following morning. Fish says he fully cooperated with the authorities.

Fish: I didn’t say I’m not gonna talk to you. I want an attorney.

This was a big mistake. He should have shut up and talked to an attorney before he said anything to the police.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    This was a big mistake. He should have shut up and talked to an attorney before he said anything to the police.

Well I think it is normal belief, that if you have not done anything wrong, that you can explain the situation and the LEOs will know you have nothing to hide.
    We know because we are active in these issues that is dead wrong. I'm guessing without the examples most people would have done what he did.

Top Bottom