Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Concealed carry. I don't need to draw unwanted attention, and won't give up the tactical advantage of the element of surprise. I see no need to expose my firearm for a possible gun grab...no holster gives 100% retention. I don't need to be singled out as the first one to shoot if some nutcase decides to start plinking at the mall or decides to rob the bank or convenience store while I'm standing in line.

I might open carry if camping in the boondocks or on a hunting trip, but I just don't see the point of it in a populated area.

I agree 100% :yesway:

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Concealed carry almost all the time. Just too self conscious right now for much open carry. I have open carried while camping.

Panama

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Racing Capital
    Concealed carry. I don't need to draw unwanted attention, and won't give up the tactical advantage of the element of surprise. I see no need to expose my firearm for a possible gun grab...no holster gives 100% retention. I don't need to be singled out as the first one to shoot if some nutcase decides to start plinking at the mall or decides to rob the bank or convenience store while I'm standing in line.

I might open carry if camping in the boondocks or on a hunting trip, but I just don't see the point of it in a populated area.

Could not have said it better! :yesway:

You just never get a second chance to make a first impression! (tactical advantage)
    So, it is concealed for me at least 90% of the time, but also agree it is up to the individual.

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    I believe the point of this poll is preference. I think (correct me if I am wrong) he was asking what you do more often than not. If you do both, just select which you do more...

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I always CC - I don't feel like it's my job to educate the ignorant. My job is to protect my family - I'll take all the advantages I can...

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    Right on Westsider!!! Us Avon people gotta stick together. :cheers:
    The intent was which do you prefer, or which is most of the time. I have OC'ed on rare occasions (not to be confused with OD'ed :laugh:

KevinH

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I carry concealed most of the time. It is more expedient to keep the masses in the dark about your choice since most of them choose to live there anyway. I am seeing that those of us who carry seem to be more aware of our surroundings than most others anyway. Odds are we will see the BG and avoid him before the weapon is needed. Still, it is a comfort having it there.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    It depends on WHY I'm carrying.

Around the house, in the fields, hunting, I just strap on a pistol belt and holster if I want to carry a gun. Most times it's my SS Single Six or MarkII. During deer season I switch over to my S&W 629 for all carry situations, on my hip hunting or in the fields in my front pocket if I'm going to town.

I to the little town near me for snacks, a paper or what ever I carry in my pocket or pistol belt either way what ever is easiest to pick up if I'm not already carrying but if it's in my pocket I don't wear a jacket or any thing and make it easy to see. I shoot a lot around the house and I deliberately want every one around to know I have a gun, I shoot it a lot, I will shoot it any time I feel I need to day or night, and I'm rarely ever with out it. My nearest neighbor is a retired cop and he's on the same page as I am. I've got a big black dog that barks all the time and chases every car, truck or tractor growling and barking his head off up or down my driveway day or night. He barks, the spot light comes on from the porch and I'm standing there with a pistol, shotgun or both.

"There's easier places to steal gas, aluminum, lawnmower, what ever on down the road than where that crazy guy lives."

Outside of the area where any one who sees me is likely to know who I am or where I live, they'll never know I have a gun until they are getting shot in the head with it.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I always CC - I don't feel like it's my job to educate the ignorant. My job is to protect my family - I'll take all the advantages I can...

X2, I don't carry to educate people.

I CC to keep the people causing to make me carry a gun ignorant until I can "stop them from being a threat to me or my family".

Revelations

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    NW IND/ Tampa Bay
    For me CC is the only choice.

I know Im allowed to OC but I dont want to have to explain to Betty the Soccer Mom that its perfectly legal for me to be doing it.

Ive been in stores before where I saw someone OC and the next thing you know they are being surround by store security and local LE.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    For me CC is the only choice.

I know Im allowed to OC but I dont want to have to explain to Betty the Soccer Mom that its perfectly legal for me to be doing it.

Ive been in stores before where I saw someone OC and the next thing you know they are being surround by store security and local LE.

For me, OC is a choice, as is CC.

I have never explained to Betty the Soccer Mom that it is perfectly legal for me to OC, but I wouldn't mind explaining if she asked.

I've been in crowded stores OCing and never was approached by any employees or security or local LE.

I don't prefer either OC or CC. I always carry. Whether it is OC or CC depends on the clothes I happen to be wearing at the time as well as the weather and just how I feel that particular day. Yesterday I CC'd a 6 7/8" stainless GP100 .357. I would have been OCing, but it was too cold not to wear my overcoat.

Top Bottom