Concealed carry or open carry, what is your preference?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Which do you prefer?

• Total voters

colt45er

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Avon, IN
    I know that this is a personal preference type question, and I dont want this to be an ugly debate.

It started in another thread so I thought I would start a poll. Which doy ou prefer, concealed or open carry or not to carry? Please give reasons for your view.

Me I prefer Concealed. I have read numerous reports and statistics that once a criminal has decided to commit a crime they will do everything they can to eliminate a threat. To me having the BG see your gun before you have presented it puts you in danger.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    though i'm not opposed in any way to open carry, i prefer to not draw attention to myself. the element of surprise also holds no small merit.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I prefer concealed carry simply because I feel more comfortable that way. The situation may change as I become more comfortable with carrying at all.

AFA1CY

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    In that Field that is Green
    :DI guess if you really want to be like that :D

Which do you do more of the time and why?

Depends on situation. I will OC in a restaurant but not in a buffet where I am up walking around with other people. I don't OC in places where I suspect would have a problem in doing so (i.e. the mall). I OC in the summer when the wife and I go to garage sales. I don't OC in my friend's business so as not to "scare" his customers.

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Concealed carry. I don't need to draw unwanted attention, and won't give up the tactical advantage of the element of surprise. I see no need to expose my firearm for a possible gun grab...no holster gives 100% retention. I don't need to be singled out as the first one to shoot if some nutcase decides to start plinking at the mall or decides to rob the bank or convenience store while I'm standing in line.

I might open carry if camping in the boondocks or on a hunting trip, but I just don't see the point of it in a populated area.

I must agree. Although like Metro40, my mind was molded by law enforcement training years ago. Even though there are some folks on here who rail against any advantage, I see CC as having the element of surprise. I do however respect your right to choose to OC and I don't bad-mouth those who do. It's just not my thing. :yesway:
    :cheers:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I guess I'm not surprised by the results of the poll so far. I've only ever seen 1 person OCing in Indiana over the last 13 or so years.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    OC most of the time. I know that many experts believe very strongly that I am placing myself at a tactical disadvantage. These are not the experts I am worried about. The majority of convicted felons agree... avoid the armed citizen.

And it's comfortable... :)
    and I LOVE all the attention!:rolleyes:

milton

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    I'll jump in for the minority. The majority of the time I OC my px4. Two reasons A.) I am an attention whore B.) I am a BAMF

and I'm totally kidding on those two reasons. I do both, but OC more. I just feel that the world (soccer moms) will never be comfortable with armed citizens if we hide them. I stay well dressed, act in a very courteous manner, go about my regular routines, and try to show the world that we don't wear tin foil hats and live in school buses in the woods :)

Top Bottom