• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldbikelvr

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Bloomington, IN
    I am considering a new revolver that would be used for USPSA and Steel, but also suitable for daily carry. I carried and shot a Rossi 971 .357 w/ a 4" barrel for 15 years. I would like to stay with .357 and a 4 " barrel. I am looking at Smith and Wesson and Ruger, but I am open to other options as well. Do any revolver shooters have recommendations?

Thanks,

Brett

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    In USPSA revolver, moon clips and .45ACP and .40/10mm tend to be the most competitive. Nothing wrong with a .357, but if you choose to shoot major power factor loads the recoil is going to be more significant than with a larger caliber (which is one reason why .45 and .40/10mm are prevalent).

I'd get either an L frame (686 or 586) or even one of the N frames (like the 627) to help absorb the recoil. If you choose one of the N frames that holds 8 rounds, be aware that you can load all 8, but you can only fire 6 rounds maximum between reloads.

BROBERTS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Warsaw IN.
    There is only 1 revolver for USPSA Competition. Smith & Wesson rules.

In 357 my first choice would be a 686. If your just shooting for your self speed loaders will work. If you want to compete the best you can you will need to have it moon clipped.

The moon clips are faster to reload and in a 32 round stage you reload a few times.

I shoot minor with my 686 and do OK.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    There is only 1 revolver for USPSA Competition. Smith & Wesson rules.

In 357 my first choice would be a 686. If your just shooting for your self speed loaders will work. If you want to compete the best you can you will need to have it moon clipped.

The moon clips are faster to reload and in a 32 round stage you reload a few times.

I shoot minor with my 686 and do OK.

When he says, "do OK," he means that he kicks a**!

Top Bottom