• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    im trying to decide what kind of bullets to try in my 243 prohunter next. i got about .5 groups at 100 yds with my barnes ttsx 80 gr but want to try and shoot a little cheaper bullet. the barnes i used were about 35$ for 50. i plan to do some competition shooting this summer. ill probably shoot 5-600 yds max.

im leaning towards the berger vdl. they are about the same price for 100 and my barnes are for 50. i was just seing if anyone else does this kind of shooting and what they use. i would like to eventially get into 1000 yd shoots but for now ill stick with the small shoots

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    best advice i can give you is to get an assortment in the price range you are willing to pay, work up some loads and see which one shoots the best. as you well know, each rifle has it's preference.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    best advice i can give you is to get an assortment in the price range you are willing to pay, work up some loads and see which one shoots the best. as you well know, each rifle has it's preference.

thats probably the best way to do it... but you could also just do some research on some other forums... "snipershide.com" and get some good input there... maybe a reloading forum.... also look at the various bc's of the bullets you are looking at... the higher the better... i would try and find one with a rebated boat tail which will help get some more consistant performance.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is your rifling twist?

I like Sierra 95 BTHP but I have a 8 inch twist barrel. My rifle also likes the Berger 105 and 108's, especially for 600 yards plus.

Most 243 commercial barrels are a 9 inch twist and won't shoot the heavier bullets as well as the lighter/shorter bullets.

So I guess my answer is that it depends on your rifle.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    What is your rifling twist?

I like Sierra 95 BTHP but I have a 8 inch twist barrel. My rifle also likes the Berger 105 and 108's, especially for 600 yards plus.

Most 243 commercial barrels are a 9 inch twist and won't shoot the heavier bullets as well as the lighter/shorter bullets.

So I guess my answer is that it depends on your rifle.

im pretty sure the prohunter barrels are 1-10 so im fairly certain the vld 105 gr wont work. im thinking the 95gr may be to heavy aswell.

since i know my gun likes 80 gr bullets should i try and find another 80 gr or try to move up?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    if you know it likes the 80 grain... then stick with 80 grain... find a good load with a high bc bullet then fine tune your seating depth to make it just a hair better... should do about everything you want it to do.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    There's more to the equation than twist vs bullet weight. Length of bearing surface combined with velocity actually plays a larger part than bullet weight. I don't personally use a .243 and never have, but everyone I know that does have become very involved with the heavier Sierra offerings. I do know that in the calibers I've been involved with over the years, the specialty suppliers have shown me little beyond higher prices. I'd suggest trying the Sierras by putting your best skills to work and see if you don't save money in the long run. If they don't work for you, try something else. You may even want to give Sierra a call. They have been nothing short of fantastic in their offering info to me in the past and even concerning products not their own.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I have a CHRONO!!!!..... and there is a good chance i will be able to come out and shoot with you this week.... do you have targets? if so what type.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have a CHRONO!!!!..... and there is a good chance i will be able to come out and shoot with you this week.... do you have targets? if so what type.

ive got plenty of targets. im not sure what kind they are. they are what ive always used for sighting in. i defintally cant wait to get some guidance on this long range shooting.

Old Syko

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    its a 28 inch barrel. one of these days ill quit being a tight ass and buy a crono

Just to be clear, I was referring to the bearing surface of the chosen bullet and not the barrel length.

Trying to build accurate loads without a chrono just makes the job much more difficult and expensive. $100 now will save you thousands in the future.

Top Bottom