• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I'm not 100% this is where this should go, but here we go.

I am very new to Rifles. I have only been shooting rifles since 2017. Earlier this year I built my first AR-15. I know nothing about about compensators. So I am looking to be taught about them.

When I was at the NRA convention I looked at the Maxim Defense Hate Brake. While it sounds like some cool tech, it is a bit spendy, I think. I have seen prices on compensators from $30 - 100 when I stop at various gun shops. I have the basic whatever it is on a PSA upper.

Then I found this: https://www.bcidefense.com/spare-parts/muzzle-devices/envoy-compensator

Is this a good compensator? What makes a good compensator? What should I be looking at?

I'm not even sure I am asking the right questions.

Thanks!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    First . . . why do you want a comp on your rifle? The applications and needs will help.

In general, the purpose of a compensator is minimize the movement of your muzzle so that you can shoot follow-up shots more quickly. They do so by directing they gas flow from the muzzle in a direction to minimize muzzle rise (usually upward primarily). The cost of a compensator is that more intense sound is perceived by the shooter and even more so by people near the shooter. They will also typically increase muzzle flash. There are muzzle devices that are designed to both reduce muzzle rise and reduce flash, but they are always going to be a compromise with one exception. A silencer (aka suppressor) dramatically reduces both muzzle flash and muzzle movement. There are also some unusual designs that direct gases forward to minimize the increased sound on the shooting side of the gun (like the "linear comp").

chenowethpm

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 12, 2019
    Indianapolis
    Are you looking for an answer to what compensators are for?
    they are designed to redirect gasses at the muzzle so to reduce recoil and muzzle rise. The more pressure and gasses the better they work.

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I get what they do, I just don't know what makes a good one. Is the $30 one as good as the $100?

The Hate Brake is a linear comp, I guess, and is supposed to help make the shots quieter at the shooters ear without being a suppressor.

I also don't know that I need one. I only shoot for target practice, some competition at times.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Are the $30 ones just as good? All depends; caliber, application etc are important factors; the hate brake looks like a muzzle booster/ flash can similar to a KAK flash can

https://www.kakindustry.com/kak-industry-flash-can

just the hate brake is smaller and gobbs more money, all depends on what you want. Either product just seems to be intended to take a little “bark” out of the muzzle flash and noise.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Rhino has given you the proper information. If you are going to shoot competition, the others on the firing line will certainly appreciate you NOT having a muzzle brake installed as it really increases the noise for those shooters on adjacent benches!

If you are going to shoot rapid fire one MAY be a little advantage but other than that not any that I can think of unless you are shooting a large caliber, then it will reduce the perceived recoil somewhat. The other item that resembles the muzzle brake is a flash suppressor, again this doesn't really give you any advantage unless you are in a firefight with a sniper!

I think both (sometime "both" are incorporated into the same device) items are commonly available as many buyers want their carbine / rifle to look like the military version...

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have Jerry Miculic (Sp) brakes on all of my AR's. They work. They are not expensive. They do **** off those next to you. Depending on the ammo and rifle the results do vary a bit.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don’t shoot my AR much anymore but when I was playing with it I put a surefire brake ($55) and an adjustable gas key ($35?)on it and it was ridiculous how soft shooting it became, the felt recoil is less than my 9mm scorpion carbine but it’s loud as all get out.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I don’t shoot my AR much anymore but when I was playing with it I put a surefire brake ($55) and an adjustable gas key ($35?)on it and it was ridiculous how soft shooting it became, the felt recoil is less than my 9mm scorpion carbine but it’s loud as all get out.
    I don’t think of the scorpion as being a soft shooter.
    JMHO most of my ARs shoot softer than the scorpions I’ve shot, including my 300 BO pistol

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I’d say, I’ve found most brakes to be decent, a few to be excellent. To say...

As a whole, comparing 0% no brake to 100% best brake.. $30 brakes do 70% $50 brakes do 75%, $70 brakes do 90%, $100 brakes do 95%, $200 brakes do 100%.

Id find the best reviewed brake around $50 and call it a day.

Good on paper

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 18, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I don’t think of the scorpion as being a soft shooter.
    JMHO most of my ARs shoot softer than the scorpions I’ve shot, including my 300 BO pistol

That is absolutely true about the Scorpions, that big hunk of steel for a bolt makes it rock and roll a bit. I’d be interested to shoot a MPX or something with a delayed action.
    I guess my point was a decent comp and an adjustable gas system really makes an AR soft.

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    That is absolutely true about the Scorpions, that big hunk of steel for a bolt makes it rock and roll a bit. I’d be interested to shoot a MPX or something with a delayed action.
    I guess my point was a decent comp and an adjustable gas system really makes an AR soft.
    If I ever run into you at a range I’m usually toting around an Mp5 clone or two.

my brother had an M&P sport and that thing recoiled like a 30 cal AK. Terrible, all my ARs recoil is just a bit worse than a 10/22. Either I’m just that good at building them, or I’m just that lucky

Top Bottom