• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • excursion12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 10, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    No it didn't. Employers do not need to supply you or anyone else with a reason for termination.
    Actually they do have to give reason for termination when you file for unemployment or when you sue them for unlawful termination. Granted they can lie but a judge will have to rule on the merits of the case you bring.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Keep in mind there are several exceptions under this law. This does not apply to all employers.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Keep in mind there are several exceptions under this law. This does not apply to all employers.

True, there are some that fall under Homeland Security protection and use IMPD in the Indianapolis area for on site security and will have you arrested for violation.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Let's not confuse termination "with cause" and termination "without cause." With cause requires some justification. Without cause is simply "we no longer need your services" and it's a done deal. It's then incumbent upon the dismissed employee to prove some type of discrimination if they want to seek legal recourse.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Man i feel sorry for all you guys who have to choose between possibly losing your job or self protection. I was always thankful that my employer not only allowed weapons in the employees cars but allowed you to have them in the store and carry them. Also just to prove how awesome they are my boss has left HER revolver for me before when mine was being coated. I guess I am truely blessed with the best bosses/job ever.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    No it didn't. Employers do not need to supply you or anyone else with a reason for termination.

Right, they can terminate you for whatever cause they want. However, this code gives case with the addition, "Having the effect of".

This new law also lists that you can bring civil case against a company not in compliance with this code. If you are terminated for this reason, you would have to prove your case in civil setting and allow others to decide based on the merits of your argument.

While at-will employment is a basic principle of employment in Indiana, the right to keep and bear arms is a right we have. The employer has the right to protect the company property, its all a big crap mess.

Personally this law just made things complicated and effectively did nothing.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Private entities are not subject to 4th amendment restrictions, particularly when you agree by default to be subject to them as terms of your employment. And I'm just betting that you did.

I don't think you can sign your rights away though I realize this isn't the USA any more. You think a private entity can search your vehicle whenever they want? What if its locked? Are they going to break into it? Isn't that a crime?

O and your rights only apply when it comes to the government? I dont think so. yeah an employer can fire you for whatever reason but they can't just blatantly violate your rights and everything just be hunky dory

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    I don't think you can sign your rights away though I realize this isn't the USA any more. You think a private entity can search your vehicle whenever they want? What if its locked? Are they going to break into it? Isn't that a crime?

O and your rights only apply when it comes to the government? I dont think so. yeah an employer can fire you for whatever reason but they can't just blatantly violate your rights and everything just be hunky dory

Actually the Bill of Rights protects you from the government. You are not "signing away your rights" by any means, that would be impossible as rights are neither granted nor revoked. You are agreeing to allow them to do so. A private company is not by any means violating any right if they search your person, they may be violating the law (which is something entirely different).

Now, I am not completely anti corporation... but I do have a problem with their existance. The sole purpose of a corporation is to protect an individual of any wrong doing -- for a price. (but this is another discussion)

The bill of rights was designed to protect us against the tyranny of government. That is why they are preluded with the phrase "Congress shall make no law". You have a right and thus congress can make no law infringing upon that right. A private company can do whatever it wants, now maybe it violates the law in doing that, and thus civil action can be taken but that is not dictated by the United States Constitution.

This law did make a great compromise, it accepted the right to keep and bear arms being more important than the land owners right to restrict items on that property.

If I lock you in a chest against your will I am not violating anything in the Bill of Rights, I am breaking the law... there is a distinction.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy

There are several places in good old Indianapolis alone that if you go to work there, either directly for the employer or with a contractor, you give them the right to search your person, any articles you are carrying, and your vehicle if parked on their property. If you refuse you are terminated from employment AND usually receive a lifetime ban from their properties.
    Once terminated if you return you can and WILL be cited for trespass, unlike retail businesses that have a no weapons policy posted and don't enforce it with trespass cites.

The largest business in Indianapolis has this policy plus has the backing of Homeland Defense, so you would have committed a federal crime on top of criminal trespass.

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    There are several places in good old Indianapolis alone that if you go to work there, either directly for the employer or with a contractor, you give them the right to search your person, any articles you are carrying, and your vehicle if parked on their property. If you refuse you are terminated from employment AND usually receive a lifetime ban from their properties.
    Once terminated if you return you can and WILL be cited for trespass, unlike retail businesses that have a no weapons policy posted and don't enforce it with trespass cites.

The largest business in Indianapolis has this policy plus has the backing of Homeland Defense, so you would have committed a federal crime on top of criminal trespass.

I'm going to guess you're referring to either the Indianapolis Airport or FedEx. I know both of these places have that type of policy in place.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Its interesting that so many gun owners like to blab on about their right to protect themselves as they see fit yet have such a hard time accepting that a company also has the right to protect itself and its employees as it sees fit.

I understand this sentiment. However, they have to do what they have to do, and I have to do what I have to do. I pose no threat to my employer. If they perceive me as a threat, then I honestly dont want to work there. I respect their right to policy. I try to be compliant. I also have to have a certain level of peace of mind myself. If this balance can not be achieved, then I dont understand why we would continue.

My take on the topic is like this: At my old employer it was "dont ask, dont tell". Some of us knew others had firearms on the premises. I know at least one employee who regularly had it on his person. Under no circumstance would you talk about it. Not in private, not out of work. Nothing. This did not change when they law went in effect.

My new employer, well, kind of the same thing. I got "made" twice (that I know of). Once was out of work. I was on my lunch getting gas. Gas stations get robbed, even in the middle of the day, so there was no way I was going inside without my pistol. I only had my Fobus, so I was OC. A coworker was inside, made some comment about me leaving to early or taking a long lunch or something. Nothing about my pistol. Never ever came up. The second time was a little more dumb. I was carrying my mag carrier IWB. I wasnt carrying the gun, just the mags. I was running late and didnt have time to put them away. My shirt rode up, someone saw. I had a talk with my manager, we talked about the workplace law (wasnt sure if he heard about it before or not, but he is the type that would look it up and comply). That was it. We talked guns for a moment, never heard about it again. I doubt he shared the information with anyone at the company, he may not have even informed the person that thought I was carrying a gun that it was only mags. No harm, no foul.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Now, I am not completely anti corporation... but I do have a problem with their existance. The sole purpose of a corporation is to protect an individual of any wrong doing -- for a price. (but this is another discussion)

quote]

Actually, that is not the purpose, sole or otherwise, of a corporation. But as you said, that is another discussion.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    I'm going to guess you're referring to either the Indianapolis Airport or FedEx. I know both of these places have that type of policy in place.

Or Eli Lilly. Also any oil refinery or fuel storage depot (since the refinery is gone) chemical refinery, or hazardous material storage facility. Any company that is vital to the infrastructure of the nation gets Homeland special protection.

Working construction allows one to find out who the "special" companies are faster than most any other person.

So, if you get a new job, read the company policy handbook REAL close, you may be giving up more than you realize.

clgustaveson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010

Actually, that is not the purpose, sole or otherwise, of a corporation. But as you said, that is another discussion.

New thread... Ill post a link in a moment...

Last edited:
    Top Bottom