• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Quite a few good suggestions on here so far.

If you're looking for something slimmer (as in single stack), I'd suggest trying a Kahr PM9, or go slightly bigger with a CW9/CW45. Personally, the CW and P series have been great for me, but I've never shot the PM9 as it seemed too small for my hand.
    The CW and P series weigh about 16 oz empty. They're very comfortably concealed. Polymer and stainless for easy maintenance. Nice and accurate. Oooh, and almost forgot the DAO trigger.... LOVE IT!
    I recommend staying away from earlier model P9's, as they had some problems with serial #'s starting with YA and YB. But if you happen on to one of these in a good deal, Kahr will take care of you... usually with free parts.

Another single-stack option: Glock G36
    .45, 6 rounds, weighs about 20 oz empty. Slimmer than other glocks.
    Can't say I've had experience with it, but it's an option.

And gotta love the snub nose S&W, as previously suggested.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Having been through this myself, I suggest 1) read alot online about handgun choice between pistols and revolvers, 2) ask yourself realistically how much you will practice with this 3) handle alot of them at a gun show, how it feels in your hand is important, the INDY 1500 is coming up the end of May 4) shoot different calibers. You might be recoil shy 4) a revolver is easy to maintain, easy to check if loaded, can be shot single or double action. A .38/357 will give you choice between a cheaper practice round and something with more ummph.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Karl Arms MK40

Quite a few good suggestions on here so far.
    If you're looking for something slimmer (as in single stack), I'd suggest trying a Kahr PM9, or go slightly bigger with a CW9/CW45. Personally, the CW and P series have been great for me, but I've never shot the PM9 as it seemed too small for my hand.

I have a Kahr MK40 stainless and it is a great gun. Shot a little low to start but is improving as I put more thru it. I wanted a 40S&W due to the stopping power. The all stainless is a little heavy, not a pocket gun so I carry in a Don Hume IWB holster. This model has a suggested retail price of $850 making it on the high side for compact carry guns. This is a very high quality firearm.

img_PA_m4043n.jpg

dtl_kacc6.jpg

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I will continue to buy Glocks, simply because i have owned several, and I have so much invested in it as a platform; it would not be cost effective to switch everything over to another type of pistol.

That said, If i COULD start over, I would go with the Smith and Wesson M&P series. They are every bit as good as a Glock for accuracy, reliability, and simplicity, and they have greatly superior ergonomics.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Like to hear your reasoning for sticking with one brand

I will continue to buy Glocks, simply because i have owned several, and I have so much invested in it as a platform; it would not be cost effective to switch everything over to another type of pistol.

That said, If i COULD start over, I would go with the Smith and Wesson M&P series. They are every bit as good as a Glock for accuracy, reliability, and simplicity, and they have greatly superior ergonomics.

Personally I do not understand why you feel you have to stick to "one platform?" Why don't you feel you can own a variety of quality firearms from different manufacturers? Looking at Glocks most of them look the same which I would think would get boring. Glock is a good firearm but so are many others. Just curious, what is your reasoning to stay with one platform?

The past year I have cut way back in the amount of firearms I own trying to consolidate to a few calibers when before I had a dozen but in looking at my inventory list I see Beretta, Browning, Essex Arms, Henry, Karl Arms, Rock River Arms, Rossi, Ruger, Smith & Wesson, Springfield Armory, Steyr, Taurus, Walthers, and Western Arms.

A majority are in .22 and 40S&W but I have .223, 25 acp, several .357 mag, 30 carbine, Springfield 30-06, 45 acp and a 12 gage shotgun. I know there are those people who would only buy a Chevy or a Ford; my father was like than, but myself I like some variety in life. :twocents:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Karl Arms! I love those!! ;)

I carry a Glock. Since I got my permit, years ago living in Ohio, I've carried a Glock. Glocks are what I know. That doesn't mean that I mock other firearms, like some do.. that doesn't even mean I don't like other firearms - I think XDs are sharp looking, and I've seen some really nice looking 1911s. They're just not what I like to carry. If I had the money I'd pick up an XD. I've got a 1911, a revolver, so on and so forth. I like having different options, even if the one I tend to carry is generally the same all around..

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Buy the best you can afford and be happy

I believe a person has to live within their means so if you buy the best you can afford you have done the right thing for you and your family. Sometimes it is better to purchase a used high quality firearm in good to excellent condition than a new bargain brand if it is going to be used for personel protection. If you are going to be using it for target shooting only buy what you like and have fun. People should not put other gun owners down because they choose something they can afford. My favorite wheel gun is my Rossi 877 that I carried for ten years and never had a problem with it; quality wise I will put it up to S&W and Ruger. Look at the particular gun, not the name. :twocents:

rocketv

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Fairland
    I have an XD-M .40 that I have grown very fond of. I was originally drawn to it because it has the interchangeable backstraps and I have wide hands, but stubby fingers. With the smaller backstrap piece installed, a pistol with a large capacity magazine is still comfortable to me. It's also a magic wand accuracy-wise when I use the 180 grain ammo that it likes so much. Hopefully this helps.

bcleven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Whiteland
    Now I'm starting to see some of the debate and info I was hoping for! I like what many of you have said about personal feel and will get out there and see what I can find to get a feel for. While cost is a concern I also feel like getting the gun that I'll be happy with for a long time is also important. It would be worth it to me to spend a few extra bucks now to get something that I won't want to trade or sell in 6 months or a year. I am fairly concerned with the feel of the gun. I have long slim fingers and don't want to feel like they are wrapping aroung the gun three times. Just want a snug fit...

chasekerion4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Having been through this myself, I suggest 1) read alot online about handgun choice between pistols and revolvers, 2) ask yourself realistically how much you will practice with this 3) handle alot of them at a gun show, how it feels in your hand is important, the INDY 1500 is coming up the end of May 4) shoot different calibers. You might be recoil shy 4) a revolver is easy to maintain, easy to check if loaded, can be shot single or double action. A .38/357 will give you choice between a cheaper practice round and something with more ummph.

Al's got good advice for you here.

I like the Springfield XD's, but also own a Glock 19. Between the two, I prefer the XD, however, you may not.

See, touch, feel.

My advice is to get a good idea of the pistols with the best "reviews", then narrow it down. Once you have your list, go play with them. See how they feel in your hand. Most likely, you'll narrow your list down big time once you've played with them/shot them.

I wanted the Glock to be my favorite carry pistol; I really did. But it's not. It couldn't hold a candle to the XD when it came to how it feels in my hand. As for reliability, Glock and the XD are apples vs. apples.

And they're both ridiculously easy to take down and clean.

Good luck!

bcleven

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Whiteland
    Got a hold of a Sig 220 tonight. WOW. I fell in love with it.Its not real friendly on the pocket book but wow... I really like it.

Top Bottom