• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 7, 2012
    Carmel
    Those stats are mostly false, and designed to make you feel better about your ISP.

The ISPs know the URLs of all the speed test sites, so they boost your speed when you visit one of those. They also reduce speeds to things like Netflix, YouTube, etc. It's called "bandwidth throttling" and all ISPs do it.

If you really want to see how your ISP is performing, go here. They host a bunch of different tests that will check if your ISP is shaping traffic or throttling bandwidth to specific sites.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Those stats are mostly false, and designed to make you feel better about your ISP.

The ISPs know the URLs of all the speed test sites, so they boost your speed when you visit one of those. They also reduce speeds to things like Netflix, YouTube, etc. It's called "bandwidth throttling" and all ISPs do it.

If you really want to see how your ISP is performing, go here. They host a bunch of different tests that will check if your ISP is shaping traffic or throttling bandwidth to specific sites.

Interesting, I've heard from higher level Comcast employees that they are definitely NOT throttling sites like youtube, but who knows anymore.

There are so many factors "out there" that determine the speed you will achieve on any given download/upload that most of these tests aren't conclusive.

I just tested my connection today with downloading from a NAS on my home network to a client who has Brighthouse and sustained 2.5MBps which is right at 20Mbps. That was around 1pm.

This is all relative anyways, what I get isn't what you will get. There are too many external factors involved.

Top Bottom