• edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Hi,
    I've had this spamcan of comblock ammo for MANY years and am now not sure what it is.
    MY guess is that it's 550 rounds of Chinese 7.62 x 39, but I'm not sure.
    And I don't want to open it because I'm thinking of selling it.
    Thanks to anybody who can remind me for sure what this is.
    SpamcanID1.jpg

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I think you are right. The Type 56 was confusingly the name for their AK and SKS variants and 550 rounds seems to be normal for the Chinese military spam packs for 7.62x39 on the stripper clips for the SKS.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think you are right. The Type 56 was confusingly the name for their AK and SKS variants and 550 rounds seems to be normal for the Chinese military spam packs for 7.62x39 on the stripper clips for the SKS.
    I'm thinking this is the steel core stuff that Clinton stopped the import of back in 1994.
    I bought this MANY years ago.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    It's Chinese 7.62x39 with mild steel core projectile. It is indeed the stuff banned from import by Clinton. Beowulf has it right, the “56” indicates that it is ammunition for the Type 56 rifles, thus 7.62x39. 550 rounds per can, it will be on stripper clips, copper washed steel case, and corrosive primer. It was made in 1973. 341 is the factory code, a pretty common one, but generally considered unknown exactly which plant. The Chinese like to obfuscate that aspect of their ammunition production - some plants have multiple codes.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It's Chinese 7.62x39 with mild steel core projectile. It is indeed the stuff banned from import by Clinton. Beowulf has it right, the “56” indicates that it is ammunition for the Type 56 rifles, thus 7.62x39. 550 rounds per can, it will be on stripper clips, copper washed steel case, and corrosive primer. It was made in 1973. 341 is the factory code, a pretty common one, but generally considered unknown exactly which plant. The Chinese like to obfuscate that aspect of their ammunition production - some plants have multiple codes.
    Thanks for the info.

I suspected it's the Chinese, banned, mild steel core stuff, but didn't know for sure.
    I bought it back before the 1994 ban when this stuff was common.

Though I have no personal experience to know either way, I've read where though it's not technically "armor piercing", the mild steel core does give it some additional punch through capability.
    This according to some tests I read online from other people's experience.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Thanks for the info.

I suspected it's the Chinese, banned, mild steel core stuff, but didn't know for sure.
    I bought it back before the 1994 ban when this stuff was common.

Though I have no personal experience to know either way, I've read where though it's not technically "armor piercing", the mild steel core does give it some additional punch through capability.
    This according to some tests I read online from other people's experience.
    Yes, it penetrates better than lead core, but it isn't true AP either. It is only legally defined as AP at the Federal level, which is where the import problem is.

FYI - a friend informed me that if you shoot igneous or metamorphic rocks (he didn't use those terms, lol) with them, they tend to throw off a good small shower of sparks. He likes that ammo for that reason :ar15:

Top Bottom