Colt Mustang .380: Do you carry it cocked and locked?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    What condition is preferred for safe and ready carry of the Colt Mustang .380?

It is a 1911 style, but does have some differences from the standard model. It lacks the barrel bushing, for example. There may be other differences of which I am not aware; even though I have studied it extensively there is always the possibility I have missed something. Further, the Mustang manual specifically recommends carry in Condition 3. It reserves Condition 1 for situation when one must bet ready to fire instantly.

I recognize the thinking of the 1911 experts is Condition 1 as explained in the following link.

M-1911 Conditions

My question for you pros with the Colt Mustang, is Condition 1 safe and/or wise? Do you carry it in Condition 1? If not, what condition do you use?

Thanks for your input.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I can't answer the question on if that gun is safe or not, I know jack diddly about them.

However, if the answer turns out to be "no", it's not a suitable carry gun. You are not assured that you'll have the time or dexterity to cock the hammer if you need it in a hurry, particularly if you are already injured, grappled, etc.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I can't answer the question on if that gun is safe or not, I know jack diddly about them.

However, if the answer turns out to be "no", it's not a suitable carry gun. You are not assured that you'll have the time or dexterity to cock the hammer if you need it in a hurry, particularly if you are already injured, grappled, etc.

Yep
    The little Mustang .380 is a handsome gun, but if it requires thumb cocking to be carried safely intended for serious business, the carrier would be nearly as well off with an SAA or Blackhawk.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks for your input. I have a good IWB leather holster for the Mustang. I am still looking for a pouch holster, like the one that came with the TCP, too. No way I carry it without a holster that, at a minimum, protects the trigger.

Cocked and locked seems to be the way to go, unanimously.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always carried my P238 and P938s cocked and locked. Both have a nice, positive thumb safety that's unlikely to be flipped off by accident in a pocket holster. I think the Mustang is very similar in action to the little Sigs and if the safety is nice and crisp, you should be good to go. BTW, is there any gun manufacturer that recommends a gun be carried with a round chambered? I thought that just about all of them recommend only chambering a round when ready to shoot for liability reasons.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I've always carried my P238 and P938s cocked and locked. Both have a nice, positive thumb safety that's unlikely to be flipped off by accident in a pocket holster. I think the Mustang is very similar in action to the little Sigs and if the safety is nice and crisp, you should be good to go. BTW, is there any gun manufacturer that recommends a gun be carried with a round chambered? I thought that just about all of them recommend only chambering a round when ready to shoot for liability reasons.
    This

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom